General Discussion Race Reports! » Rage in the Sage - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rage in the Sage - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 39m 4s
Overall Rank = 126/203
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Found my rack and put my stuff on the ground. As more people showed up I rearranged better. Pure nervousness over the wind and weather.
Event warmup:

Walking up and down looking at peoples bikes and feeling WAY out of place. These people looked serious.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 05m 59s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 13.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I was the 203rd (last) person onto the course (I didn't want to get into anyones way Found that that wouldn't have been a problem. People were already walking up the hill and a few breakdowns. I also found that even though I didn't feel like I belonged with this group of people that changed once I started.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up!!! Have my bike serviced by LBS. Dropped my chain about mile 10 and that didn't help much as it was up a long hill. I would pass people more aggressively. Hanging behind slower riders because I was unsure of my abilities to pass them fast enough cost me dearly (ended up slowing to 5 mph sometimes). I did not want to be called on drafting, but I doubt that at 10-15 mph they would get me for that on my hybrid.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Looked like I can run in my SPD's ALOT better than people with Look and speedplays, so I will stay spd's. My running shoes were under my bike by the time I racked it so I had to dig them out. Have to ensure they are clear.

Make sure shoes are in the clear. Figure out a faster way to get bike shoes off and get Yanks or something to speed tieing shoes.
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 3.85 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was unsure of myself so I went to slow. Had plenty of gas left at the end. Sprinted (for me) the last mile but still had to be careful because of rocks and uneven ground.

Push myself earlier in the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to muffins and walked to transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own self doubt and belief that I didn't REALLY belong among these athletes. Most of the bikes cost more then my truck and thier outfits looked so professional.

Event comments:

Even thoguh the swin was cancelled I think it went well. A bit of confusion on what to do when the swim was cancelled, but that would be expected. Decide that the engine is much more important than the equipment. I would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2007-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/203
Performance:
Canx due to high winds.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:59 | 15.2 miles | 13.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 119/203
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Winds 20-30 miles an hour with some rain. Was thinking about quiting right out of transition area...Its a 1/4 mile hill (note to self: WARM UP!!). Very smooth surface with long hills. Even though traffic was allowed it didn't seem to impede any ones riding.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:45 | 03.85 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 111/203
Performance: Average
Course: Hard packed dirt with alot of rocks. Some places had loose rock which inhibited fast running IMHO for fear of twisting ankle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Subject: Rage in the Sage - Sprint Distance

2007-04-23 6:18 PM
in reply to: #773554

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Subject: RE: Rage in the Sage - Sprint Distance

Hey  Brian!!  Great race, you did very well.  I'm moving to California in 2 weeks but I hope to come back for more races, I'll definitely look you up if I do!

Good luck in your first real triathlon!!

2007-04-23 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great race Brian! DB and I had a great time at our oly and spent the night in a hotel at the race site on Saturday night before the race. We went to the pre race dinner and met some other BT folks. There were 3 speakers at the dinner and it really made me think about your comments about feeling like you didn't fit in. All 3 speakers talked about how you need to remember not to judge a triathlete by their bike because lots of people are "geared out", but that doesn't mean they are better or faster than you. The main speaker was HILARIOUS! He was like a stand up comic and told stories about how he did the Hawaii Ironman in 1980 on a bike that he bought about a month before the race at a police auction. He was saying how much times have changed with gear and nutrition plans, etc. etc. He said his crew would bring him a bic mac and fries as he rode the bike to help keep him fueled. Anyhow, it helped ease my nervousness before the race as we do NOT have the gear to compete. Sorry you missed the swim, but you are still a triathlete! Congrats!
2007-04-25 6:18 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Jason,  Have fun in Cali.  It was great meeting at least one BT'er, but then again you met me and now you are moving.  I swear I showered before the race.

Thanks, Texmom.  You and DB are great (even though I pick on him).  Don't tell him Isaid that it will go to his waist size...LOL.  I know you have 2 little ones as do I  and it is way to expensive to try and get "THE" equipment.  If I ever decide to win money at this then maybe I might have to get "THE STUFF", but in the meantime I am having fun.  Have a great day. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rage in the Sage - Sprint Distance Rss Feed