General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So why does no one want to do the Disney Tri?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-23 7:37 PM

Subject: So why does no one want to do the Disney Tri??
I've been hearing and reading that quite a few people don't want to do the Disney Tri this September because of some bad experiences in the past. I distinctly remember a couple of people saying the lake gave them some severe intestinal distress, and something about the bike leg, where someone was almost killed? I also overheard a couple of people saying it was really horribly organized.

Does anyone have any information on any of these complaints? I'd planned on the Disney Tri being my first ever "A" race, but now I admit to having some second thoughts.

Has anyone had a good experience? Is there truth to the venom??

2007-04-23 8:56 PM
in reply to: #773704

User image

Veteran
Orlando
Subject: RE: So why does no one want to do the Disney Tri??
Yes, I would like to hear more also.
I was planning to make this my first Olympic.
But after my half marathon experience this year and what I recently read about the Tri I am now going elsewhere.
I am considering the IDC in New Symrna.
Are there new people running the endurance programs at Disney?
2007-04-23 9:58 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I did the Disney Tri last year and I was left disapointed. Check out some of the race reports. Mine is here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I like the sound of the New Symerna Tri, but $90 seems like alot for an international distance tri in its first year at that location. I'll probably still do it though. I am a big fan of the upcomming Ormond Beach Tri-Y. It is just a sprint but its at a great location and it is well done with lots of support and great people.
2007-04-24 7:42 AM
in reply to: #773892

User image

Veteran
Orlando
Thanks for the info.
I'll be participating in Ormond Beach Tri.
Last year I did the relay(bike), as my first Tri event.
I had a great time at the event, so I am returning this year to do it solo.
2007-04-24 9:53 AM

dc - gasoline taste in the water?????!!!!! Seriously, wtf!

Where does the $100 registration fee go! Plus you'd think they'd be able to spare more than a 4 yard lane for the bike/run.

I just read others' race reports as well - most everyone seems to be in agreement with you that it was a poor Tri. How disappointing!!
2007-04-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: #774336

User image

Regular
Long Island
seviya - 2007-04-24 10:53 AM

dc - gasoline taste in the water?????!!!!! Seriously, wtf!

Where does the $100 registration fee go! Plus you'd think they'd be able to spare more than a 4 yard lane for the bike/run.

I just read others' race reports as well - most everyone seems to be in agreement with you that it was a poor Tri. How disappointing!!

Yup so I guess its clear, now why no one wants to do the Disney Tri. After doing that tri it really made me apreciate the tri-Y and now even the Clermont Half.

2007-04-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: #774371

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

If you want another FL event to choose from, the Space Coast Triathletes Club (Brevard Co) puts on a pretty good tri in Early Oct, it's well organized and not overflowing with too many participants.  It is a Sprint and an Olympic combined so you can take your pick.  The Courses have the swim is in the Intracoastal waters, Rides involves 2 Causeways and the runs over and back one causeway.

Edited by Donto 2007-04-24 10:45 AM
2007-04-24 4:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-24 10:52 PM
in reply to: #775110

Betsy - you wouldn't be the nice lady Michael and I met last week while riding around Orlando, would you? We received a comment on our website at threemg.com from a Betsy, but while we were talking with you, we didn't get your name (something we both regretted), if this is you.

It sounded like it might be from the conversation we had - if it is, thank you for the words of encouragement...

If not, well, hello!

Larry
www.threemg.com
2007-04-25 5:18 PM
in reply to: #775483

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by betsy 2007-04-25 5:19 PM
2007-04-25 11:56 PM

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I did Disney last year as my 1st tri and am registered to do it again this year.
The swim and run were fine but the bike course did have some problems. However, this year the bike course is changed hopefully for the best.
The 70.3 had some serious complaints too, so anyone planning on that race should check the race reports. That was by far the worst race I have ever volunteered for, and I will not be back this year.

2007-05-04 4:53 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I did it last year and thought it sucked. 1- too NOISY at the start 2-bike was 5 miles short 3- last 1-2 miles of the bike was so crowded because we were biking in where the runners were going out and you cold not get up to speed or pass 4-not enough water stops on the run Plus the race packet did suck too.  I mean its disney for goodness sakes could they give us as pen  or something I mean we paid thru the nose for the hotel room.  the noise at the start was enough to never make me want to do the race again.  THere was a thread that ropkins started about it last year
2007-05-04 5:40 PM
in reply to: #774443

Veteran
Orlando
Thanks, that looks like a great race.
But, that's a bit close to the Marine Corps marathon and it looks like it might conflict with my last long run weekend. If not maybe, I can do the sprint.
2007-05-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: #777127

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Stitch26.2 - 2007-04-26 12:56 AM

I did Disney last year as my 1st tri and am registered to do it again this year.
The swim and run were fine but the bike course did have some problems. However, this year the bike course is changed hopefully for the best.
The 70.3 had some serious complaints too, so anyone planning on that race should check the race reports. That was by far the worst race I have ever volunteered for, and I will not be back this year.

Wow, I'm doing the 70.3 in May this year. I hadn't heard any negative reports on it previously. I did the Disney Olympic last year and agree, it was a stinker.

I figured since the 70.3 was more than likely being put together by a different event organizer that it would be a lot smoother. Amyone looking for a late-season 1/2 ironman race, MiamiMan in November is a great race. Did it last year and I'm signed up again this year. Only about 200 slots left though, so sign up quick.

Where do you guys go to look up race reports?
2007-05-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: #789402

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Unless they have drastically improved don't do the race. Logistics stink unless you are staying at the host hotel which is extremely expensive. Ditto what Sue said. Post race was in a hot parking lot with lousy post race food, then a long wait for the bus to go back to the transition area. The bike out was on a two lane road with bikes coming back in the same lane. Very hard to pass and dangerous. Coming back was the same and then dealing with runners going out. Then there was the sharp right onto the walking path for the last few hundred yards. I sent the race organizers some constructive criticism but never got a reply.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So why does no one want to do the Disney Tri?? Rss Feed