Playtri Festival
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 56m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race started with me getting up at o-dark thirty and heading to Starbuck's for my morning tea and muffin. Once at the race sight I sought out the RD and finsihed the upgrade to half iron. It was then off to the transition area for the body markings and set up
Event warmup:

Warm-up? I'm doing a half iron today folks! Its like running a marathon. There is no warm up. Okay, so getting on the wet suit requires a master's degree in yoga. So I guess you can count that as a warm up. Oh wait!!! There is always the urinating in the wetsuit once in the water! Now that was a warm up!
Swim
  • 38m 6s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I tried to stay toward the back of the wave. I did not want to be flogged like the first time I did an OWS. The start was smooth and I immediately went into my modified swim. It wasn't long before I started to catch up with some of the straglers that were in front of me. I was sighting on the first yello bouy. After a while I looked up and saw that most of the wave was far to my right. NOT heading to the bouy. Then it dawned on me. The damn bouy is in the middle of the lake and was for the return! I made a course correction got back behind the pack and tried to avoid running over people. Going under the bridge it started getting a little crowded so I moved to my right. Too much. There was the wall. Crap. Crouse correction again. Made it to the turn around and tried to pay better attention to the next marker. Yeah right. It was hard to distinguish from yellow caps (the wave before mine) and yellow bouys. I had one more off course correction I had to make. I am sure I broke 2K in the 1900meter swim. Right before getting to the exit my left calf started cramping. Great!
What would you do differently?:

It would have been nice to been able to swim the course once before the race. I also need to work on my sighting, and proper swimming technique in OWS.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Karen (KSH) was there as a stripper. I beelined it to her and her partner for getting my suit off. I did not even have time to release my cap and goggles. Karen yanked my suit over my arms and the cap and goggles stayed in the sleeve. At that point she yelled at me to get down - lay down. I did that and off the suit went. Holy crap. My fantasy of being stripped by two beautiful ladies comes true and it lasts all of ten seconds. A quick juant up the ramp to the transition area. Suprisingly I am not disoriented as I normally am out of a long swim. I did sit down to put on my socks and shoes. I know it is going to be a long ride and wanted to make sure all was on right.

I would have remebered my sun glasses. I think it would have been good to have had something solid ready to eat there. Other then that I think T1 went well.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

The first two laps on the course was awesome. I think that I was upwards of 19 or 20 average by my half way point. But that was when tragedy struck. Somewhere along the second lap the main bolt for the brake loosened up (probably from my run in with the bridge two days ago) and the brake spring caused the brake to rub against the wheel. But with the wind blowing I could not hear the rub. It wasn't until I made the turn to start the third lap that I realized this. And here I thought it was just the wind. I flip the brake release which eased some of the rubbing, but its still there. Of course I don't know why the brake are doing this. I reach down to try to adjust the housing, but it springs back to the wheel. About two miles on the third lap I finally stop and try to get the front wheel realigned (thinking that the wheel itself has shifted). I jump back on the bike and its still rubbing. Only 9 more miles to the finish. I can push through this. And that is what I did. With my back screaming in agony, the brake rubbing, and the wind picking up speed I hunker down to get it done. I was quite happy when I made that last turn - even if my bike computer said it was 57 miles!

1) Get the freaking bike checked out BEFORE race day; especially if I just have had a run in with a bridge. 2) I need to work more on releasing fatigue on long rides. I normally will stop after 25 miles to stretch, but this was a no break ride. I probably need to work on strengthening my core - including my lower back. 3) I need to work on a better fueling plan while riding. I thought I was drinking enough water, but the start of the run I realize I was not. I did eat a banana and one Gu on the ride, but I forgot about all of that on the third lap.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Coming in to transition I take my feet out of the shoes and begin to take my gloves off - like I have done a hundred times, but this time the wind catches my glove as I try to wrap it on my aero bars and blows it to the ground. There is no way in hell I am going to stop to pick it up. Lost forever it seems. Okay so I did not run with my bike. My back was too sore to run at that point. Oh yeah! I got to run 13.1 mile now - lovely. The best thing about T2 was seeing so many BTers cheering as I left T2. What a confidence booster!

1) Again have something to eat while in transition maybe. 2) When dismounting put the gloves in the jersey pocket. 3) Put on more sun screen before leaving.
Run
  • 2h 09m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay so my time really bit the big one. But I knew I was in trouble the first mile of the run. My back was in agony and my heart rate was going ballistic. It was then that I realized I am probably dehydrated and underfueled. This changed my whole strategy. I know I have 13 miles to run with aid stations every mile or so. I need to take advantage of that. At the first station I grab water and a gel. I walk through and consume the gel. I wait for my heart rate to be below 130. I then begin running again - OMG! pain in the lower back. But I continue. Second aid station - water and gatorade. Walk until the heart rate is back below 130. And this is how it went for the first 5 miles. At this point I was running with another guy that was also hurting. I had run with him a while back until his hot looking jockstrapping girlfriend started jogging with him. I dropped back some for a while, but met up with him after the last aid station. At this point the pain in my back has eased and my heart rate had stabilized. I told him to lets try to make it around the turn around and back to the aid station with out walking. He lasted maybe half a mile before walking again. I was still doing good, so I let him fall behind. The last lap was much better then the first. I was able to run through the aide stations a few times, but I did walk a few of them. On the return of the second lap I knew it was only three more miles. I can do this without stopping. I kept at it. At some point I approach Mr. I Can't Make But I Have A Hot Girlfriend. WTF?! He is in front of me. When did he pass me? Oh!!!!! Freaking cheater. Dude still could not hang with me - even if he does have a hot girlfriend. I did walk the last aid station so I can finish strong.

Work more on the fueling plan on the bike so it does not take 5 or 6 miles to recover!! Other then that I think my adaptation to the situation was a good one.
Post race
Warm down:

LOTS of water and Accelerade. Oh yeah. I had my first ever after race massage. Okay it was my first ever sports massage. OMG!!! Was that painful. She had commented that I was in serious need of getting some work done on me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) Last minute change 2) No taper 3) No prepared race strategy 4) Malfunctioning brakes 5) Lower back strength 6) Not eatting enough - BUT!!!! I did have fun.

Event comments:

Playtri did an excellent job on having a good amount of people out there helping. The pasta dinner (my first ever) was outstanding. Great public speakers. The only comment I would have is that they should have had someone or a timing mat at the turn around to prevent cheaters - like Mr. I Can't Hang.

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:06 | 1931 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Time based on my watch seeing that they still have not fixed my time at the time I am writing this.
Suit: PFlex Orca
Course: Course is in a man made lake/mud hole. It is an out, veer to the right, take a right turn, under the bridges, turn left, turn left, back under the bridges, make half a left turn, then another, then veer to the left to the ladder. Comments were made this it was more like a bike course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:03:26 | 56 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was three laps on mostly smooth surfice. It was not quite an out and back as the out bound leg was longer then the return. I was happy about this considering that the return was mostly into the 20+ headwinds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:09:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops of a 6.5mile course. Course is a 3.25mile out and back along the Dallas Trinity Trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: Playtri Half Ironman

2007-04-24 9:51 AM
in reply to: #774296

Subject: RE: Playtri Half Ironman
Great Race and Great Race Report!

Well done!
2007-04-24 9:53 AM

Pro
AZ
Great job Kirk! You're crazy, but still....you did great considering!
2007-04-24 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Fantastic RR!  Way to step up and go for the impromptu HIM.  Even with the minor obstacles you had to overcome, you had an outstanding race!  You should be very proud of yourself
2007-04-24 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Great job, think what you can do when you don't have to move up to the HIM at the last minute!
2007-04-24 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great job, Kirk!  Fantastic job on the bike, especially considering mechanical problems.    Wonderful race report, too.  Good job refueling on the run; that's where I went wrong.  Great to see you again this weekend.

2007-04-24 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You did a terrific job considering you didn't really "train" for a HIM. Yea, it sounds like your nutrition was seriously lacking. You worked out (swim and bike) for a good 2-3 hours and only had 1 Gu and a bannana? Not good.

Considering all your bike issues, you did wonderful at pushing till the end. Too bad the run kind of took the brunt of all those issues.

That sucks... that guy cheating. What a freaking loser. UGH! They shoud have had timing mats at the turnaround.

OH! And thanks for my cameo in your race report *bats her eyelashes*. I'm so honored!

Well, considering you didn't even train for HIM, you did a fabulous job! So, when is the next HIM? Longhorn on 10-7-07?
2007-04-24 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Hey Kirk, you did great out there.

Even though it seemed like you were pingponging around the course, it did not slow you down much. Doing a 3 Hour Bike Split with bike issues is outstanding.

Of course, the run is where your real strength is. The pacing rule for the half is 15-30 minutes slower than your open Half Marathon Time over a similar course. (And you were right there)

Sounds like you recovered a lot during the 1st half of the run and Gallow Walking is a great strategy for making this happen.

So your 1st HIM is a Sub-6 hour. I would bet that if you stick with this distance, your going to be doing 5 and some change in just a race or two. (Especially when you iron out your nutrition)

It is interesting how folks with a marathoning background approach nutrition on the HIM. I did the same thing that you did. Ate light on the bike and went into survival mode on the run.

We do after all run 26.2 miles on nothing more than water and maybe some gel and are comfortable finishing on fumes

Good On Ya Mate

2007-04-24 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Fun report to read.  Sounds like my standard open water swim with the exception of the wall.

2007-04-24 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Nice job Kirk.  At least mr I can't hng didn't try to actually jump in front of you at the finish.  Great bike even before considereing the problems
2007-04-24 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Riding most of 56 miles with the BRAKE rubbing?  No way.  That is some scary stuff!

It's quite bothersome that Mr. Cheater Dude's overall time will reflect some blazing run speed that he probably couldn't hold if he were riding a horse.

HOWEVER, kudos to you for getting through it all despite the various issues, and having fun to boot!

2007-04-24 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Kirk! You'll now have a lot of first hand experience to help you with your next HIM!

It was great meeting you.
2007-04-25 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Awesome race and RR!!!  You did an amazing job considering the bike issues and not properly preparing for an HIM.  Just imagine what you could do without the bike issues, with a proper taper, and with the nutrition figured out!!  Outstanding
2007-04-25 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Well Done!  Good job with a race where it seemed a lot was going against you. 
2007-04-25 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job finishing sub 6 in your first HIM.  That's awesome.  See ya at the races.

TJ

2007-04-27 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race report.  A real pleasure to read.  Congrats on a well-run race.  Good job adapting and correcting in the swim.  Must be an incredible feeling finishing an HIM!

2007-04-27 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
It was great to meet you on Sun. As I do more triathlons, I have learned that getting better is a lot about learning from my mistakes. You did excellent and learned a lot at the same time. The only problem I have is that you and David have set the bar really high. Train for an Oly and do a Half. I am going to feel like such a WUS when I train for a Half and do a Half.
2007-05-21 6:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Great race! Way to push through the problems - and doing that on the spur of the moment! Being a newbie who is still training for his first tri, I definitely look to what you do as BIG inspiration.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Half Ironman Rss Feed