Set-Up, Inc / Kinetic Endeavors, LLC
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 57s
Overall Rank = 238/332
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 38/50
Pre-race routine:

First triathlon of the season, and only my second one ever. With a 10:00 start, waking up at 7 felt like sleeping in for a race day. Had a banana and a bottle of water and grabbed a bagel at the luxurious hotel continental breakfast. Packed up the car and went to drive the course before entering the park. The map provided wasn't the best, and we missed a turn for a road that had no sign, but luckily Nathalie figured out where to go, and we drove the rest of the course before heading in the park. We were both disappointed that she wouldn't be doing the race since she had a bad cold the whole week, but I was glad that she was there for race support.
Event warmup:

Got the transition area set up, put on the wetsuit at 9:45, and went over to get in the cold, cold water. It was quite a shock when I first stuck my face in the water, but after a few minutes I was able to swim about 50 yards, and I thought that it wouldn't be that bad afterall. Heh.
Swim
  • 19m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

That was the longest 19 minutes ever. The first 100 yards went okay, and I wasn't too thrown off by the murky water or swimming into other people--though I need to just keep going rather than popping up when that happens. But about 100 yards in, I lost my breath and couldn't put my face back down in the water. So I turned over on my back and started doing backstroke for a bit. At one point, I thought, "I'm never going to finish this," and then I heard the horn go off for the next wave, and then the wave after that. Tried to turn over and swim, but I just couldn't get my breathing right and even thought, "If I don't get enough air, I'm going to pass out and drown." Real calm. So I went back to alternating sidestroke and backstroke. After making the last turn, I actually swam normally for the last stretch and started to walk when it got shallow enough. When I checked my watch after coming out of the water, I was surprised to see that it had only been about 20 minutes. Felt like a half hour at least.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first OWS, so I need more practice with that. More time in the pool. Not freak out with the breathing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I felt like this took a lot longer b/c I was still recovering from the shock of the swim. Already had on my jersey, so I dried off my feet, put on my socks and shoes, glasses and helmet, and ran out of T1. 24/50 for T1.

Go faster from the swim to my spot.
Bike
  • 53m 23s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike course, and it was great to see my family as I headed out for the ride. I got into a rhythm pretty quickly and started passing other people on the road heading out of the park. Definitely passed more people throughout the course than I had pass me. Kept the cadence around 90 for most of the ride and stayed in the big gear for the majority of the ride. Dropped down to the middle chain ring on most inclines and only had to drop down to the granny gear on one hill. Having ridden the Columbia Tri course on Friday, these hills didn't seem like anything to worry about. Hit a max speed of 35.2. Passed some more people coming back in the park, and had a huge smile when I saw my family again cheering for me. My sister heard the woman next to her say, "I've never seen someone so happy to be riding a bike!"

This was my first race on my road bike, so I'm thrilled with my time. But even though I felt good on the bike, I probably pushed a little harder than I should have given how the run went.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Really pleased with this time. 11/50 for the AG.

Bring a hat/visor to put on.
Run
  • 30m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt heavy, and I could tell I was moving slower than usual. After making it up the hill, my shins started to burn. I tried to keep pushing through it and told myself it would go away after a few minutes, but I had to stop and stretch out a bit. Got moving again, walked through the aid station at the turn around, and stretched again. My goal was to finish the race in and hour and 45 minutes, and I knew when I hit mile marker 2 that it probably wasn't going to happen. But the rest of the run went better, helped by the downhill, and I made a sprint to the end.

More bricks. Run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, checked my watch time, and I was really pleased with my time given how the race had started. Found my family, grabbed some water and gatorade, and moved into the shade. Got some more water, and then waded in the water for a few minutes after cooling down. It felt a lot better after the race than during the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of OWS experience, the cold water, not enough bricks. But my three goals are always 1)don't get hurt, 2)finish the race, and 3)don't be last. So I can't complain about that.

Event comments:

Everything was well organized for the race, and I liked the course a lot. The post-race food could have been better organized. Plenty of drinks, but apparently there were oranges and bananas somewhere, but I never saw them. And a grilled sausage from a vendor wasn't exactly what I was in the mood for. But overall I enjoyed myself and will definitely do this race again next year. Hopefully Nathalie and I will both stay healthy the week before and both do this one next time.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:32 | 820 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 47/50
Overall: 314/332
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless QR w/ neoprene cap
Course: Triangular
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:23 | 18 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/50
Overall: 134/332
Performance: Good
Bike computer had it at 17.3 miles and 19.5 avg.
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, only a few turns.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:09 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/50
Overall: 255/332
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back run, uphill for the first mile
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Kinetic Sprint, Race #4

2007-04-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: #774381

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Kinetic Sprint, Race #4

Congratulations buddy!  It was nice to get a chance to cheer on such a special competitor!

Way to go!  

2007-04-25 8:57 PM

User image

Regular

Great report.  Very detailed.

Looking at your times you definitely passed me on the bike.

Your swim reminds me of my first open water swim at Lake Anna in 2005.  Don't worry it gets better. 

2007-04-26 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job and congratulations!

Way to go on the bike - wow - nice time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Sprint, Race #4 Rss Feed