Flora Bama
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 50s
Overall Rank = 60/344
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Got there in time to pick up my packet and find a decent spot in transition. Ran into Ken (MahateeExpress) and his wife Marcy as well as Frank and a whole bunch more of the regular crowd and set up near them.

Pre race consisted of little less than me thinking about how chilly the water was going to be, which it really wasn't all that bad lol.
Event warmup:

Hit up the port-o-let for last minute hydration relief
Swim
  • 05m 43s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Scoring didn't break down my times into age group or otherwise so I am not sure about how that all falls out.

I thought this was pretty rough swimming, the waves were breaking right on top of me as I rounded the outer bouy. I swallowed about half of the Gulf og Mexico I think when I took two waves in a row right in the face as I turned to breath lol. I did get smarter and learned to peek before I breathed in all that wonderful salty goodness.
What would you do differently?:

Trained, I have not touched a pool in months and I could tell it effected my speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

All this is a guess, I didnt time transitions and the event didnt't either. Took longer than usual to get my feet into my shoes once the bike was rolling, most likely due to no pre-race practice.

Do a little transition practice, nothing crazy just a little trial and error stuff.
Bike
  • 48m 20s
  • 16.2 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent race, had a crazy tailwind on the way out and must have averaged 26-27 mph on the way out. Would like to have had a disk wheel or a race wheel to see if they would have made any difference out there for me. Mainly I just need to keep riding and the speed will come.

Bring a little less water, I didn't drink nearly half of the aero bottle I filled. Overall I am happy with the speed though since most of my training has been at lower speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Had to lace my shoes since my pair today had no speed laces, probably cost me a few seconds there.

Put speed laces on my race shoes.
Run
  • 29m 48s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Rough run, for the first two miles I just couldn't catch my wind. I was practically wheezing, it was both annoying and frustrating. Felt better on the way back and even passed one guy in my age group.

For sprints brick work is must, you can't spend 2 miles getting back up to speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Sipped some water and chatted with Molly, my lovely gf who got up at the crack of dawn to accompany me to the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Race prep, training at low HR made the transition to high HR high intensity much more difficult.

Event comments:

This is a fun race, afterwards I walked around with Molly and met tons of great people. That is one of the best parts of the sport IMO.

Sat down with Ken, Frank, Marcy, Lindsay, and the rest of the group and chatted for a while. Frank was in great spirits and bought the whole table french fries, cheese sticks, and hot-dogs which was awesome. Just an awesome group of people. Had to leave a little earlier than I would have liked due to the dog and a tired gf haha.

Last updated: 2007-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:43 | 440 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri-suit jammer style
Course: rectangular course, supposedly 100 out 200 across and 100 in or something of that nature
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:20 | 16.2 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Average
Based my time upon my computers everage when I checked it at the end of the race, said 20.1 average.
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back from the Florabama to Gulf State Park, I rode this loop all the time last summer so I knew it well. Lots of potholes
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:48 | 04 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 54/344
Course: Out and back to the Orange Beach bridge, underneath it and back to the Florabama
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 11:00 AM

User image

Subject: Mullet Man Triathlon

2007-04-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: #774486

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Mullet Man Triathlon
Great race Matt, I know you will beat Lindsay next time!!!! Hope to see you for May 6th race.
2007-04-24 9:36 PM
in reply to: #774486

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: RE: Mullet Man Triathlon

"even if I get destroyed"  Ha!  Your idea of out of shape is very different than most folks.

Congrats on placing in your AG.  Great race, and report too!  Sounds like the race was a lot of fun. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mullet Man Triathlon Rss Feed