General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help making a big decision Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

I need help making a big decision
OptionResults
Go travel for 1/2 year to a year. Note: benefits of training will be loss54 Votes - [65.85%]
Buy a new tri bike, and sign up for Ironman Western Australia22 Votes - [26.83%]
Other (explain).6 Votes - [7.32%]

2007-04-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #774953

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: I need help making a big decision
briderdt - 2007-04-24 12:41 PM

How old are you?

In my situation, I'd pay off any debt I had (if there is any) before I'd ever consider using that money for other purposes.

Then I'd ask myself whether my retirement portfolio was in order for real-world expenses when I want to retire.

THEN I'd consider the question you're asking. And for me, $15 wouldn't go far if it meant living off it for several months.

So I'd go ahead with the bike, thinking maye 3-4K there, and the rest using toward coaching, training, etc. Maybe travel to a destination race...

I'm 27. I will have my debt paid off. I got a really good turn with real estate market, so my retirement fund will be all set.

I hope I don't sound like I'm gloating. I just have a good turn of events here, and opportunity to pursue something. Just trying to work out what's most worthwhile to pursue.

2007-04-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: #774887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Travel with your bike?! No reason you cant do both. You have to think that you will get very few opportunities in life to travel like that! I would love to drop everything and go, but work prohibits that. I did get a chance to backpack through Europe for 2.5 weeks in 2004 (when I was 26) and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Have you thought about doing both? It might be a bit of a hassel to travel with a bike, but bikes are a much more prominent form of daily travel for folks abroad so it shouldnt be too hard to figure out how to find a way to keep training.

Where are you thinking about traveling?

Edited by grit_nugget 2007-04-24 2:51 PM
2007-04-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #774970

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
I was thinking of S. America. Partially because the cost of living is low there, partially because the language is accessible, and partially because of the rich cultures & ecosystems. I have been trying to envision cycling solo through S. America, but it seems it might be dangerous. Cycling Australia makes sense though. But $15k may not stretch as far over there. And certainly wouldn't last long in Europe.
2007-04-24 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
I vote for the travel

Your IM Goals will be here for you when you return.

Oh, and I would not suspect that you will loose all of your fitness while traveling. Pack your running shoes and a sense of adventure, and you will surely be able to maintain a good base.

Were you are thinking of traveling to? (Looks like you already answered it)

My Cousin went to Patagonia last year and had an absolute blast.

When I go to Patagonia someday, it will be by way of Cape Horn and Tierra Del Fuego

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-04-24 2:55 PM
2007-04-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: #774960

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I would try to do a little bit of everything. Save money for the bike and some training/travel cash when I return, but then plan the longest biking vacation I can manage on the rest of the money. I would tend towards Europe and have some long bike days, some short, rest when in cities where sight seeing is possible, and run when I can. You can swim in the ocean or the Mediterranean, depending on where you go. If you did that for a month, could you take a leave of absence from the job? Or would you be able to find a new job pretty quickly after you got back? I couldn't live on 15k for a half year of travel, which is why I say a month. But if you can manage longer than do it. If there's a chance of kids in your future then DEFINITELY do the traveling. First and foremost.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2007-04-24 2:57 PM
2007-04-24 2:56 PM
in reply to: #774965

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Another vote for Quanta Here

Simply the best.

2007-04-24 2:59 PM
in reply to: #774972

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

robin314159 - 2007-04-24 3:51 PM I was thinking of S. America. Partially because the cost of living is low there, partially because the language is accessible, and partially because of the rich cultures & ecosystems. I have been trying to envision cycling solo through S. America, but it seems it might be dangerous. Cycling Australia makes sense though. But $15k may not stretch as far over there. And certainly wouldn't last long in Europe.

it would go farther than you think in Australia.  Plus get ahold of some BTers that are there.  If they are willing, you can crash with them.  Nan and I stayed at a BTers house for a week during the race.  It was awesome!!  You get the real feel of the place that way.

2007-04-24 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Spend a healthy chunk of the money on a Roark Full Aero coupler (http://www.roarkcycles.com/) - a titanium bike that breaks down and fits in it's own suitcase-sized case, grab it and a large backpack of clothes and go see the world! You can keep your training up, and when you decide to come back you will have a killer bike that everyone will covet.
2007-04-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #774980

User image

Master
Northern California

.....Tierra Del Fuego

(fletch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fletch.jpg (30KB - 12 downloads)
2007-04-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: #774901

User image

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 12:20 PM If it were me I would not be all that impressed with my 14+ hour IM finishing time. I'd use the time and money to get fast but maybe that's just me.

heh, at least your a consistent a-hole who never misses the opportunity to trash someone else's performance.

Anyhoo.........

Robin - In 1999, I was 33, quit my big law firm job cuz I hated it, and traveled for 6 months.  5 months was on my own, my wife joined me for about 5 weeks in Europe - yes, I was married, and yes, she let me go.

I had a budget of about $100 per day.  That was tons in Thailand, not so much in Jordan.  It was lonely at times, and getting on the plane was one of the scariest things I've done, but I can say without a single doubt that it was THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF.  It cost a bit of money, since I paid the rent and my part of the bills while i was gone, but I could not place a dollar value on that experience.  I had a dream to travel around the world.  And I did.

There is a HUGE backpacker trail, very easy to follow, english spoken everywhere (if you want), good hostel recommendations, people to travel with, etc etc.  There are thousands of people of all ages doing this right now.

One regret is moving a little too fast.  But I spent nearly two weeks on a single island off the coast of malaysia, spent maybe $200 the whole time, diving, sleeping, eating, drinking.....  And the sights... oh my.  Diving the great barrier reef, seeing the daintree rainforest and Kakadu Nat'l Park in Australia, Malaysian rainforests, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, Bangkok, the Taj Mahal in Agra, Wadi Rum and Petra in Jordan, the Sinai, Kathmandu.... I saw some incredible stuff.  And some incredible things I never thought I'd do (kinda like triathlons).  Flying to Cambodia with no hotel reservation or transport or contact or......  Just found a driver at the airport and had hom bring me to a couple hotels.

For reference, I started going west and didn't stop until I got back home (not for showiing off but a good representation of a common route):

New Zealand
Australia
Malaysia
Thailand
Cambodia
Nepal
India
Jordan
Egypt
Israel
Europe starting in Rome and ending in Ireland

Check airtreks.com.  You can put together one way tickets for a really good deal.  I think I paid $2500 in 1999 for all the above airfare (and added more along the way based on talking to people, I.e. skipped Bali and added Darwin, Aus)

Do it.  You won't regret it.

Edit - you can do it even cheaper than I did.  The cheapest I paid was about .80 for a room in Dahab, Egypt, then moved to an oceanfront room for $20 the next night   People were doing it on like $50 a day, for two.  That was too tight for me.

And as for fitness.  I lost a TON of weight, because I was walking everywhere.  Plus I was eating less (lots of Ramen noodle dinners good times)

Edited by ChrisM 2007-04-24 3:12 PM
2007-04-24 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Congratulations on your IM.
It sounds to me like you really would like to travel. Do it whilst you are young, free and single! You don't want to regret not doing it in 10years time!
I understand that you are getting the willies about going alone but as long as you are careful and plan I am sure you will be fine. One of our friends got made redundant and went round the world alone for a year (early thirties, female) and loved every minute. She is now settling & getting married in New Zealand!
You don't have to spend all your money, just budget it. And if you really would like to travel further afield eg to Europe (Heh, I'm a Brit, I love Europe!) then there are cheaper ways to do it. Many college students set off for a few months around Europe so there are youth hostels and cheap train tickets etc. Taking a bike to travel in between would be awesome!
If you don't have any contacts and would like to talk to my friend who has done it, even for reassurance then pm me and I will ask her if she minds.

Finally, triathlons will still be there in a few years time and tri- fitness can be got back. I am 39 and doing my first IM this year. Triathlons are one of the few sports which doesn't seem to be ageist.

Good luck

Jackie

2007-04-24 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
IF I WERE IN YOUR SHOES...

My retirement is covered...and I have money set aside for a rainy day...

I love the idea of going to Australia to do IM there. Train like hell, go there a week or so early, then plan to stay after IM for a few weeks, then travel to New Zealand. Where your life leads you from there? Who knows! But it sure would be fun finding out!
2007-04-24 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida

Travel!  Whether you do it with or withuot a bike - definitely travel.  I wish we had done something like that before we had kids.  I already plan trips in my head for when the kids are a little older.  I have a friend (a girl) who has travelled all over S. America by herself so if you want I am sure you could e-mail her with any questions.  She just got back from a month long trip to Vietnam by herself.

Good luck - I can't wait to find out what you do!

2007-04-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: #774954

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
bradword - 2007-04-24 2:42 PM

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 1:20 PM If it were me I would not be all that impressed with my 14+ hour IM finishing time. I'd use the time and money to get fast but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I mean you just did something less than 0.01% of the population have done.  Don't be proud, feel bad you're not as fast as yellow dawg...

You're awesome, I'm not big on traveling, I'm all about toys toys toys

Hey, I was only trying to help the poor gurl. She asked a question and I answered it.
2007-04-24 3:32 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA

An Ironman with money to burn, contemplating travel possibilities with no ties... are you my dream?

I say do what you really feel like - you're in a unique situation to do so. For me, that would be travel; it sounds like it would be the same for you. You can probably swing it so you can do more than that also (a little of everything).

Congrats on your good luck, and your FANTASTIC IM TIME!! And definitely let us know what you end up doing.

2007-04-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #775047

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 1:31 PM

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 1:20 PM If it were me I would not be all that impressed with my 14+ hour IM finishing time. I'd use the time and money to get fast but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I mean you just did something less than 0.01% of the population have done.  Don't be proud, feel bad you're not as fast as yellow dawg...

Hey, I was only trying to help the poor gurl. She asked a question and I answered it.

I don't recall asking anyone what they thought about my finishing time.

2007-04-24 3:37 PM
in reply to: #775015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
heh, at least your (sic) a consistent a-hole who never misses the opportunity to trash someone else's performance.

Oh but you're wrong, I missed the chance to comment on your lackluster 70.3 race. Well at least you can swim otherwise you'd likely still be out there.
2007-04-24 3:39 PM
in reply to: #775054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Abilene, Texas
robin314159 - 2007-04-24 3:36 PM

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 1:31 PM

I don't recall asking anyone what they thought about my finishing time.

OK, you're right. I'll ammend my answer. You should travel.
2007-04-24 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
what about using the money in your new house. don't you need a place to live?
2007-04-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: #775055

User image

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 1:37 PM heh, at least your (sic) a consistent a-hole who never misses the opportunity to trash someone else's performance. Oh but you're wrong, I missed the chance to comment on your lackluster 70.3 race. Well at least you can swim otherwise you'd likely still be out there.

never mind.  how pathetic

Edited by ChrisM 2007-04-24 3:49 PM
2007-04-24 3:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-04-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: #775059

Expert
Chandler, AZ
chirunner134 - 2007-04-24 1:41 PM

what about using the money in your new house. don't you need a place to live?

I am putting aside a nice chunk of money for down payment on next house, as well as various investments. I suppose i could always put down MORE, but I think I should live a little while I'm alive. Overall, I'll be using about 90% of my profit wisely, and squandering the rest on pleasure.
2007-04-24 3:44 PM
in reply to: #774940

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC

robin314159 - 2007-04-24 3:37 PM Ok you guys are helping me out already. Travel is what I have wanted to do. (and planned on.) I've just been getting a big case of the willies about actually doing it. (I will be going solo.) You guys are giving me some courage. I've also been lamenting not being able to build on my fitness while travelling. I know I will be able to maintain with running, and if i'm lucky, some swimming. It's hard to give it all up though. I've also really been wanting a new tri bike.

Travel, travel, travel!!! You're an Ironman, next you have the money and the courage to take off. Niiiiice!

Every time I've ever taken time off to travel it's been the right choice for me. And some of the best times I've had have been solo. THere are a lot of great people to meet, often that you might not meet if you were with others. I try to set it up where I travel alone and then either visit someone or meet a friend a few months in.

Have a great time!

2007-04-24 3:54 PM

Elite

My three daughters, the Geezerettes, are always traveling.  They did a trip together to Costa Rica.  Geezerette #1 spent a semester working in Paris.  G2 spent a summer in London at LSE and a year in Morocco.  She is working in Madagascar right now.  G3 spent a semester in Chile.  I cringe at the tight spots they have gotten into and out of but they are incredibly resourceful and resilient from the experiences.  Go for it.

Not that you asked, but I think 14 hours at IMAZ means bragging rights for a lifetime.

TW

2007-04-24 3:56 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

Maybe I didn't read the OP very well but from reading all the posts I'm gathering that the 15K is not your profit as I orginially thought, it is the portion of the profit you've decided is your play money?  That makes a big difference.

This is not what I'd do, but based on what it seems YOU want to do I think you should EITHER travel - as an adventure and hold off on the bike purchase for now OR do IM Austrailia and get a tri bike (which obviously will include travel as well.  You could even make it an extended stay in Australia and see the country while you train for the race. 

My point is I wouldn't buy a fancy tri bike and then go travel only to have to arrange for storage for my new tri bike and then not ride it while it is new.  You may be a different person/have different priorities when you return and a 3-5K dollar tri bike might not be part of your life.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help making a big decision Rss Feed  

of 4