General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Desert Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
Klein and Clark Sports, LLC
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 56s
Overall Rank = 400/429
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/18
Pre-race routine:

I was camping so I got up, got dressed, cooked some oatmeal and coffee. Rode down to the transition area at 6. Setup my stuff. Got body marked. Headed back to camp to eat oatmeal and coffee. Tore down my tent and packed up. Headed back to the swim start at 7 to watch the Sprint start. Drank some water and went to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Ate some gu 15 min before start. Got completely in the water and swam around a bit to get used to the water temp. Waited for the start and was cold. Jumped back in at start and the water felt warm (exactly what I hoped for).
Swim
  • 25m 39s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started to the left of the group and hoped to get in the deep water first and then head to the buoy. That worked but it looked as if the entire rest of the group of swimmers were flying by me on my right. It looked like the jet stream from Finding Nemo. I think they were benefiting from drafting and I was swimming all on my own like a sucker. A few times I lost site of the buoy and did breast stroke to find it again. It helped that we were swimming into the sun. That was easy to sense without lifting your head. A few times I had people drifting diagonally in front of me so I had to do breast stroke to reposition.
What would you do differently?:

Draft and maybe wetsuit. More open water practice.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Simple transition, no issues.
Bike
  • 1h 28m
  • 24 miles
  • 16.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started out good. I felt good about getting my legs into the groove. I ate gu 5 min into the ride and 50 min into the ride. I drank water every 10 min or so. It was overcast so the head wasn't bad. The people were really nice. Most people who passed at a similar speed told me good luck and congrats. Triathletes are really nice people. Or did I look that bad? On the 2nd lap right after I ate the gu, I passed up a new water bottle. I had plenty but was running a little low. Then I started getting heartburn so I sat up and slowed down a little. Some burping helped but it kind-of freaked me out. Overall on the bike I pushed myself more than ever before. I stayed in the bigger chain ring whenever I could. I am just not fast at biking yet. I was getting passed by everyone. Including a 70 year old man on a beach cruiser!

I think I was sweating a lot and needed some salt and maybe more water. It is really hard to tell. I think gu is good but I think I needed some electrolytes.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The people in my row squeezed me out and I couldn't get my bike racked. I just rested it as best I could and threw on my shoes and hat. I am glad I wore my running hat. Also, I didn't get lock laces into my new shoes so I had to tie them like a sucker. I was feeling really dizzy so I spent some time drinking gatorade.

Have salty potato chips in my transition. Oh and I meant to grab my shot blocks for the run but forgot.
Run
  • 1h 06m 41s
  • 6 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The transition to run was ok but the first surface was sand which psyched me out. During the run I was very tired and dizzy. I wasn't sure if I should drink more or what. I sipped water at all the water spots (3 around the lake) and dumped some on me. There were small shots of sports drink at one water stop so I hit that 2x. The sun was coming out so it warmed up during the run. I was on the first loop when a co-worker spotted me. She cheered me on as she passed me and then I realized she was on her second loop and almost done. Oh man! I was getting passed by everyone including an amazing guy with one leg.

Train more, drink more sports drink on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

When I got close to the finish I picked up the pace a bit and then when I finished I swear I almost passed out. I could never understand why people fainted at the finish before. The air went from being a steady breeze to a hot humid oven. It was so hot and I could hardly get a breath of air. The volunteers handed me a cool towel and a bottle of water. I decided to keep moving and walking and try to cool down. I spotted a medical van and decided that would be a good direction to walk. After a while I ate some orange slices and a banana slices and kept blotting my face with the towel. I finally cooled down, packed my stuff up and changed into a skirt. Oops I forgot to stretch. Oh, well.

Event comments:

I beat my times from the Chicago olympic race and that is what I was aiming to do. Even though the race isn't really comparable. Considering the lack of structured training, I feel like I did well for myself. I am totally impressed by all the other competitors out there. These people are fast!!! I wonder if it has something to do with Southern California? (year round training, workout-a-holics, sunshine) I was defeated this year but I am going to come back next year and do this race right! I think it was really well run and down to earth. There was no crazy expo or rules about picking up your packet the day before. It was low key and relaxed. And if you don't mind camping in a glorified parking lot it is really convenient to camp in the park. I will be back next year!

Last updated: 2007-03-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:39 | 1320 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/18
Overall: 306/429
Performance: Average
Suit: tri suit
Course: Big green bouys in the lake. They were hard to see. We did a big triangle in the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:00 | 24 miles | 16.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 390/429
Performance: Good
my official time is 1:32:36. This includes T1 and T2. I had T1 split on my watch and estimated T2.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat. 2 laps. Interesting sights. Traffic control was great. Some smooth road some rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:41 | 06 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/18
Overall: 408/429
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps around the lake. Parts were sandy, parts were packed dirt and some cement.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-25 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Subject: Toyota Desert Triathlon - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed