General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've got chills... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-25 9:30 PM

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
Subject: I've got chills...
...and they are multiplying.

Seriously, I have been getting chilled toward the end of my long runs.

What is the cause. How do I stop it?

2007-04-26 12:51 PM
in reply to: #777004

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Subject: RE: I've got chills...

And I'm loooooo-sin controoool!

I'd imagine this is evaporative cooling; is it while you're still pushing or on cool down? Is it cold out? (I really just wanted to sing, this is my attempt at being helpful also)

2007-04-26 7:39 PM

User image

Central Coast, CA
Not that I can offer any info but I have been experiencing the same thing on long bike rides. I haven't been running very long distances so not so much on the run.

I posted a question asking if anyone else has seen this and several people mentioned it happens to them as well. I still do not understand the cause.
2007-04-27 10:38 PM

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
...cause the power your supplying...

It is while I am still pushing. AND it is not too cool out...

So...is it ok that it is happening? Should I do something different? Am I doing something wrong?

I just don't get what is going on...feels weird!

I really want to sing too! I have completed the whole song in my head at this point!
2007-04-30 8:55 AM
in reply to: #779724

Champion
South Jersey
Not sure where you're training, but chills during activity can also be a sign of heat stroke. I never get chills during my workouts, but usually get them about 20-30 mins after completing a long workout; I guess it has to do with your body cooling. I would think maybe the same thing could happen while working out if you start to slow down a bit. Hm. Do you feel okay when you get them; are there any other symptoms or is it just the chills?
2007-04-30 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Thanks, y'all. Now I've got Grease in my head.

Maybe you're dehydrated or low on something. I get chills after long runs (like, an hour or two after I stop) that feels like flu-like symptoms. A recovery drink (like Poweraide Recovery) helps a lot. 

2007-04-30 9:09 PM

User image

Regular
Edmond, Oklahoma
I have been running in awesome weather here in Oklahoma, so I am pretty sure that it is not the heat..."It's electrifying" (another Grease refrence)

Love the Grease!

My husband thought it could be nutrition...So I will try a little aide next time and see.
I did have it a little at the end of the half marathon, but not as much. I drank more poweraide than normal that day. Perhaps that is what happened.

Thanks all!

2007-04-30 10:31 PM

User image

One thing to look for if you get the chills is if you are still sweating, if you aren't sweating then you are dehydrated. You may want to look at your hydration intake throughout the week. You may need to drink more fluids prier to hard days, make sure you get plenty of electrolyte's and not just plain water. In a workout once you are dehydrated it is really tough to turn that around, gotta stay ahead of the bodies fuel consumption. I try to drink a bottle of Gu2o, or Hammer Sustained Energy before every hard day and race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I've got chills... Rss Feed