General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subaru Women's Sprint in Naperville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-06-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #779237

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Subaru Women's Sprint in Naperville
Ditto!  Thanks for getting the pics posted so soon!  And a big WOOHOOOO to McFuzz for being the awesome jockstrapper/photographer that he is!!

2007-06-28 8:23 PM

User image

New user

Chicago, Il
Pictures are up if you are interested . . .

http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=17776

Great race everyone!
2007-06-29 12:27 PM

This was to be my first scheduled tri, but I didn't feel prepared enough. May do the Naperville Sprint, but I am scheduled to run the Chicago Distance Classic the same day. Every other tri is open water. Thinking it would be best to do my first tri in a contained area. Not the best swimmer!

But everyone did great out there! I was handing out water at the 2nd mile on the run course. Wearing my Team In Training Shirt. Congrats to all who participated!
2008-03-21 9:20 PM

This is a great race...lots of energy and the course is nice.   I have done it for the past two years and will sign up soon for this year.  It is a fantastic beginners course and people are very helpful if you run into any problems.
2008-03-28 10:45 PM

User image

Chicagoland
I'm signed up to do this as my very first tri.  I'm kind of excited, but also very nervous.  Is anyone else doing this one, this year?
2008-03-29 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1301104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Mary_B - 2008-03-28 10:45 PM

I'm signed up to do this as my very first tri. I'm kind of excited, but also very nervous. Is anyone else doing this one, this year?

I'm doing this one and it is also my first tri. And I'm going through the same thing you are...excitement and nervousness. Right now my only goal is to finish the thing and not have to be carted off somewhere to get extra oxygen

2008-03-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1301488

South Elgin, IL
I was in the same boat last year- the Subarus was my first tri also...I was shooting just to finish under 2 hours...not knowing what to expect about the race and having to teach myself how to swim the "real" way. I finished in 1:50 and am shooting for 1:40 this year. I know, Im not fast, but I like the challenge of just doing as best I can for a couple of hours. Everyone told me the same thing about this race...the participants are all very supportive and there are ALL sorts of women who do this race (ages, body types, etc)....and it was true....very fit young women, all the way down to the other end of the spectrum (old and chubby??!! jk!). The range of gear people had was the same way...if you just have a "regular" bike and dont clip in, you will NOT be sticking out like a sore thumb-there are TONS of everyday women there. For the swim part, don't wory about if your stroke is the right one. I breast stroked some of it last year and that was fairly common in some of the waves....several people side stroked it or even back stroked it! If youre not a runner (geez, im not a great swimmer, biker OR runner...LOL) there are many many people who walk the 5k part or some of it... In my opinion it was a well marked course and well run race....it motivated me to try a co-ed one this year too. Hope this helps.
2008-04-14 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Anyone know why this race isn't listed in the races? I have been dying to add this to my race log!!
2008-04-15 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1338114

South Elgin, IL
Not sure if this has anything to do with it but Subaru isnt sponsoring it this year...not sure what its called, I think my registration says US Womens Triathlon Series
2008-04-15 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1301104

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Mary_B - 2008-03-28 10:45 PM

I'm signed up to do this as my very first tri. I'm kind of excited, but also very nervous. Is anyone else doing this one, this year?

Hi...I'm signed up for the US Women's Tri in Naperville this year...it's my first, too! I share your nervousness and excitement. My goal is to just cross the finish line with a smile on my face. I was a swimmer in high school (I'm 42 now, so we're talking many moons ago...lol!) but I wasn't very fast, if that tells ya anything. :-) I started doing some swims about a month ago at a local healthclub. Been trying to get in about 100 lengths (20yd pool), which is a little over a mile. I'm currently only swimming once a week, but I hope to up that amount to 2-3x a week as soon as my local outdoor pool opens up over Memorial Day weekend. The majority of my running has been on a treadmill in the gym, due to some lower back issues. However, I did manage to run a 5k race this past Sunday and posted a time of 28:19, a personal best for me. Haven't gotten any saddle time on the bike, as of yet...but the weather is finally breaking so I hope to focus my attention on that soon. I did a duathlon back in 1994, so I'm a little familiar with the transition setup. But of course, I'll probably be a "ball of nerves" on raceday! Hope it's a good weather day for us.

Linda
2008-04-16 7:47 AM

South Elgin, IL
With those practice times, youre well on your way to a great race! Most people find swimming to be the hard part of a tri so youve got them beat already. If you havent done so already, you can see the results from last years race on the subarus tri website with splits for sw, bk, and rnn and also transition times... so you can already see youre in the top HALF of the competitors even if you were really slow on the bike! If you have occasion to print out the maps for the race this year and actually get to Naperville to see where everything is at and drive the course in your car, I think that helps mentally on race day...the formal beginner "talk" on the day before the race was somewhat helpful and also looking at the tips on what gear to bring and how to lay it out (on this site) did me the most good. Good Luck, youll have a blast!

2008-04-16 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1341271

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
checkpointchica - 2008-04-16 7:47 AM

With those practice times, youre well on your way to a great race! Most people find swimming to be the hard part of a tri so youve got them beat already. If you havent done so already, you can see the results from last years race on the subarus tri website with splits for sw, bk, and rnn and also transition times... so you can already see youre in the top HALF of the competitors even if you were really slow on the bike! If you have occasion to print out the maps for the race this year and actually get to Naperville to see where everything is at and drive the course in your car, I think that helps mentally on race day...the formal beginner "talk" on the day before the race was somewhat helpful and also looking at the tips on what gear to bring and how to lay it out (on this site) did me the most good. Good Luck, youll have a blast!

Thank you...lots of great tips and advice there! I do plan on driving the bike and run courses in the very near future. I would love to get a swim or two in at the quarry, but not sure if that's going to happen. I did a sprint duathlon back in 1994, and actually biked fairly well in that. Plus I've been spinning 3-4x a week for the last 6 months, so I'm not too concerned about the bike portion of the race...other than getting comfortable with using clipless pedals on my bike. I am planning on attending the course talk, too...so I'm sure that will help a ton. Even though I ran a personal best in my recent 5k, I know it's unrealistic to think that I'll run that kind of time in the tri...especially after having swim a 1/2 mile and biking almost 14. I fully expect my run time to increase considerably for the tri, but that's okay...as I'm just aiming to finish. Thanks again for your input!

Linda
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subaru Women's Sprint in Naperville Rss Feed  

of 5