General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 1s
Overall Rank = /300
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 39/45
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on time, checked in, and put on my fancy new lycra onepiece tri-suit (yeah, I looked good). I like like the fact that tribluesky racks alphabetically, as it means that the racks get to know each other a little bit, and it was great to see some friendly faces. That in turn meant that I had very little embarassment getting some help into my wetsuit (the only other time it's been on my body was when I tried it on at all3). It was a group effort, but it somehow worked. I feel a little bit like a superhero in that thing. I immediately went down to the water for a soak and try. It's really fun floating around in that thing, and it really did help with warmth. I actually felt pretty confident going into the day. I think that's the first time I've ever felt that at the start of a triathlon.
Event warmup:

Float and about 30 seconds of swim to see what it felt like.
Swim
  • 15m 43s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year was 19:19 (3:04/100). That's a 19% improvement, in my first wetsuit swim. It did feel like it constricted some in my shoulders and across my chest, but I think that's just a matter of getting used to it. I actually had a real nice first 2/3 of the swim, and then my arms got tuckered out, I got a little dizzy, and spent some time enjoying the scenery and the fact that the waves behind me hadn't plowed through me as usual. It timed out well, as it let me get a little bit out of the way as the wave behind did come through, and left me fresh for T1. I won't know how the swim ranked with other folks until they post results, but it ranked really well against my other ttp swims.
What would you do differently?:

I'll get there. I'm getting much better at navigation, better at drafting, and better at sighting. I still suck at pacing myself at the start, so I wind myself a little. I'll get there, and I'm going to keep using the wetsuit (which at least is strengthening my arms some).
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Last year was 4:00, that's a 10% improvement the first time I took my wetsuit off by myself. I even got flustered because I didn't take off my ankle timing band, and I had images of tearing a big whole in the leg of the wetsuit. I pulled it off anyway (what do folks do about this? How about watches?). I don't mind having a slow T1, because my sprint T1 matches my long course T1 (drying off feet, putting on bodyglide and socks, getting some water, etc.).

I need wetsuit experience, and I need to finally make two checklists: What I need to bring, and what I need to put out. I forgot my riding/running sunglasses at home, and forgot to put out my towel (grabbed it out of my backpack during transition).
Bike
  • 39m 31s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 17.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year was 45:36 (14.96MPH). That's a 13% improvement. That's right, 2MPH of improvement, and I felt good at the end of it. I kept up a good cadence, even passed a few folks once the rollers started. I couldn't believe it. I just have to say here, I friggin rock. Yeah, 17MPH isn't going to win me any medals, but it's a sign that I'm making real progress. In my first triathlon two years ago, my avg spd was a blazing 12.2MPH).

I need to work on cornering (confidence). I also need to figure out how to confidently ride aero in a narrow lane (i.e. while being passed). I need to get my legs stronger, and add a gear or two at the bottom anyway.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Last year was 2:00. That's an 8% improvement. My goal was to be sub 2, and I pulled it off. Again, this is a 'slow transition' where I'm taking my time, making sure I have everything, etc. I don't feel a need to look for seconds here, racing at the paces I am.

This one actually went really smoothly.
Run
  • 28m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year was 40:39 (13:11 miles). That's a 31% improvement. This is the money one, honey. It's one thing to improve in swim, t1, bike, or t2, but hey - I improved in all of them, and the biggest improvement was at the end, where I had more in the tank than I realized. I did a little walking, and wasn't exactly a blur out there, but that's a real nice run split for me. Honestly, I think the course must have been a little short, but I don't care too much, because I ran the same course last year!

I actually didn't realize how close I was to the finish at the last water stop, and so took a walk break and had a full cup of water. I didn't need it, but I can't really complain. I also need to move my lace locks to my new running shoes, because I stopped to retie (for fit) one of them part way through the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Quick water and banana, and then back to the finish line to watch everyone complete the race. Last year, there were only 7 people behind me. One of my goals for today was to make sure I cheered on the last few finishers, and it was some of the most fun I had all day. Finally, I asked the volunteer if there was anyone left on the course, and she said there was only one - Bud Frankenthaler! He was the nemesis of my closest competitor, John, in my very first triathlon two years ago, who said that Bud, at 72, is always stealing age group medals from John (at 84 - yes, I was that slow, but at least I beat him in the run). Funny how things come around like that. I could cheer him on in good conscience, as John wasn't racing today. I love the diversity of our sport, and nothing shows it better than the finish line at the end of the day.

And, in summary, I raced 22:34 faster today than a year ago. Yep, that's a 21% overall improvement in 1 year. Folks, if I can do it, then you can to.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, Ken, that would be the roll of fat around my belly, my lack of experience, and the weakness of my muscles. Thanks for asking.

Event comments:

TTP is what it is, a low key parks series. They concentrate a lot on things that matter (safety, permitting, rescue). They don't seem to have a lot of volunteers, but those that do come out do a good job. Their events are on-time (weather permitting). This is definitely the easiest TTP race course, both in the bike and the run.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:43 | 656 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Zenity (super cool!)
Course: Counterclockwise tight circle in a murkly lake - sounds like tri the parks.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:31 | 11.2 miles | 17.01 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Actually a pretty easy course - some rolling hills, but on most of them you can use momentum to pull yourself up the other side. Nice roads, almost no traffic, and I saw the marshalls several times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:04 | 03.1 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Paved trail, dirt road and road. Some short but steep hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-28 2:00 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2007-04-28 2:23 PM
in reply to: #779935

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

Yay Josh!  Great race and a "right on the money, honey" race report

Faster than you younger self?  Damn skippy.

2007-04-28 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Wow - what a great amount of improvement you've had. That must feel GREAT!  And, it sounds like 17mph is blazing fast - FOR YOU - and I'd take that speed in a heart beat.

12mph when you started to 17 mph now?  You have come a long way baby.

2007-04-28 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Great race report.  Congrats on your improvements.
2007-04-28 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race- Excellent improvements! You are also great at math . Congrats on a great race!
2007-04-28 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race- Excellent improvements! You are also great at math . Congrats on a great race!

2007-04-29 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Wow - that's some awesome progress there, Josh.  Congrats on such a great race!!
2007-04-29 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Way to go, Josh!!  I was out there too (Novice Men's group) and saw David O'Rear and Greg Cornelius; hopefully we'll meet before too long.

Enjoyed your post re: getting decent equipment for Kona and look forward to hearing how things work out.  That's very cool that you're going out there!!

2007-04-29 6:11 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
That is some amazing improvement!  Keep it up, and have a great season!
2007-04-30 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Great improvement over last year.  That is really awesome!!!!

Couple of thoughts.  Practice your transitions, this is an easy place to save minutes.  When you put on your wetsuit, place your timing chip inside the leg, that way it rolls off.  I use bodyglide ON my watch so that helps (but it always tricky).   Job well done out there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed