Set Up Events
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 33s
Overall Rank = 5/36
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Drank two cups of coffee, ate a clif bar and a bagel with cream cheese. Took a gel 20 minutes before the start of my wave.
Event warmup:

Very little as I was in Wave 7. The water temp was 72 degrees and the air temp was 63. I didn't want to do a warm-up only to stand and freeze while waiting for my wave.
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out very aggressive, determined to stay with the fast chicks. But when I sighted for the first time, I could see the fast chicks about 10 strokes ahead of me. Decided to swim at my own pace and not try to catch them. I drifted a tad to the right during the swim. I think this was because everytime I turned to breathe left, I caught the sun in my eyes and felt like I was going to sneeze. So I only breathed to the right until I rounded the first turn. I felt really good rounding the second turn and started to pass people in large numbers and went back to 3 stroke breathing.
What would you do differently?:

Wear tinted goggles to minimize sun glare. Keep working on my swimming speed!
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

No wetsuit = faster T1 for me! We had to run our bikes @500 yards down a dirt rode before we could mount them on the pavement. Our tri clinic addressed running with the bike this past Wed. and those tips proved very valuable today. I actually passed people on the dirt rode before I even got on my bike!

Put some plastic over my aerobottle. All that bouncing on the dirt road sent most of my drink onto Sir Velo and me!
Bike
  • 40m 58s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 22.75 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where luck just wasn't on my side. I had a great bike. Then I got behind a pick up truck that just would not pass. I did not want to cross center line, but I was getting frustrated. Finally they turned off the road. A woman in my age group had caught up to me and we were discussing strategies about getting around the truck, when it turned. I got back into aero and put the hammer down. Passed lots of people and had a great ryhthm going. Made the turn to head back to the race site and cross the railroad tracks again, but there was a TRAIN!!!!!! So I waited with about 15 other racers for the train to go by. And as I watched my stopwatch click over a minute, lots of the people I'd passed were catching up too. When the train finally passed, I put the hammer down again, but we were less than a mile from T2. So I could not put enough distance between me and the other ladies that I like to have since I am not a strong runner.

Register as an elite so I can go off in an earlier wave to avoid the train!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

We all got to the rack at the same time because of the train so it was tight quarters, but I didn't waste anytime getting out on the run course.

Not get stopped by a train.
Run
  • 24m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot!!! I dumped water on my head at the aid station and kept on running. I think I went out pretty strong, but I faded by the time we reached the transition area. With a mile to go, I can hear a female off my left shoulder. She yelled, "We turn here!". I really appreciated that, cuz I would have definitely run off course otherwise. She drafted off me to the turn-around point on the dike, then she came around me. I saw the 36 on her leg and knew she was in my AG, but I didn't have the killer instinct to run her down. Maybe I could have, maybe not. But I didn't even try. I just ran a comfortable pace and tried to get her in my finishing kick which was a little too little and a little too late.

I'm not sure. I was so happy that I got to race today. After having the Ross Perot of race weeks (I'm in, no I'm out, no, I'm in) and doing some pretty high intensity workouts, I didn't have a lot of confidence. I am aggressive on the bike, but timid on the run. Honestly, I didn't care enough about the outcome of this race to try to go for the kill today. Just participating was enough. I have 3 "A" races coming up at the end of May and the beginning of June that I want to do well in. I think I will have the guts to put everything on the table for those.
Post race
Warm down:

Congratulated the woman who won my age group, stretched and mingled.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trains and mental fortitude.

Event comments:

I had a blast. I love to race. I met another BTr today whose name is Keith. Chatted with him for a while post race. Looking forward to seeing him again at Lake Murray. I am a bit disappointed with my bike because I know it was a really good ride except for the train incident. But that is out of my control and quite a few of us had to deal with it. I was just so grateful to actually participate today. Also pleased with my first OWS of the season cuz I'm not usually a strong open water swimmer.

Last updated: 2007-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 820 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 5/36
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi trisuit
Course: Counter-clockwise loop with two left turns.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:58 | 15.53 miles | 22.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 5/36
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling loop that crossed two sets of railroad tracks.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 8/36
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, circle the transition area and a half mile out and back on the lake's dike.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-28 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: #780179

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon
A truck and  train and you still averaged over 20 MPH??  Wow, Pam - you are one fast biker!  Everything else looks awesome, too.  You are really starting off the season right.  Congrats!!
2007-04-29 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
A truck....a train.....if we could work prison and getting drunk in this we'd have a heck of a country song. Congrats and yes it's time for you to go elite.
2007-04-30 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Awesome job girlie!!! You are so fast. You'll be getting lots of hardware this season... I just want to meet you so I can hang out with the cool fast people at the races!!! LOL
2007-04-30 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
You ROCK! Any friend of Justines, is a friend of mine! I heard about "this girl that came out of nowhere" shaking things up a little! Another friend that races as an elite mentioned you! Way to go girl!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Pond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed