United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 48s
Overall Rank = 298/413
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I begam waking up around 4am. Finally got out of bed at 5:30am. Ate half a banana, some peanut butter crackers and drank some water. I was feeling a little tired, but headed out the door around 6:05am. The race was only 1.5 miles from my house so I walked and jogged a little to warm up. It was really nice out...dark, but nice.
Event warmup:

I walked around. Didn't see anyone I recognized. Did some stretching and lined up in the back half of the start.
Run
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I need to figure out were to begin in the pack...back? middle? or front? I started off fine, but going through the zoo was a little tight at times, and I had a hard time getting around people. I really slowed my pace down around mile 4-5. It was flat streets so I should have kept my pace up. The last 1.2, I picked up my pace after looking at my watch. I just wanted to be under one hour...didn't happen. I'm disappointed in my run. I know I can do better. It was a gorgeous morning and I never felt hot or uncomfortable. I should have pushed harder. Next time...
What would you do differently?:

Not slow down so much. Also, run my own race and not worry about who passes me...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the eats and treats station. Had some gatorade, hostess cupcakes (I love those things!), and a bagel. I looked around for dblack and kids, but couldn't find them. Went to the start line to see the 5K and 5K fun run begin. Saw a few neighbors. Then I walked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more continual sleep!! Other than that, I just need to push harder.

Event comments:

It was a well organized race. The fact that I was able to walk to it was a bonus. Parking was crowded.

Last updated: 2007-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:48 | 06.2 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 298/413
Performance: Average
Course: It was a quick run through the zoo and out the other side into the surrounding neighborhoods. A few hills the first 2 miles, but a nice canopy of trees that lined the streets. The next few miles were pretty flat. This is were I began to slow down...bummer! We looped around and headed back to the zoo. A few more hills that I so was NOT looking forward too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-28 9:23 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Fort Worth Zoo Run Run

2007-04-28 10:30 PM
in reply to: #780193

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Fort Worth Zoo Run Run
I did the 5K and thought it was a great race.  Nice course (could have done wothout the hills), but it was a beautiful day to be out there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Worth Zoo Run Run Rss Feed