General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I didn't stay in Carrolton so I got up at 4AM and drove out. Could have used the extra hour of sleep looking back now.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay warm, did some light jogging and stayed loose doing that but otherwise just chatted with NAMSC folks and made a few new friends.
Swim
  • 16m 15s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

My YMCA has been kinda tough to get a lane and I have been slacking on the swimming. The start was kinda like a rugby scrum...They also started the women after the 40+ and Clydes and that has always been a disaster for me. About 400 meters "the attack of the pink swimcaps started" and they swam over top of us. I wish they would start the elite females before us and I think it would be a better race for all of us. I managed not to get my goggles kicked off this time and did my best to get out of their way.
What would you do differently?:

I could have trained better, I would also not wear my wetsuit. I haven't trained at all in my wetsuit and I really only wear it if it's cold so I am never used to it. It feels like a straight jacket. I average about 90 seconds per 100M in the pool and about 150seconds per 100M in this race. Had to actually breast stroke through some parts to because of the crowd. I was ready for it thanks to warnings from other BTers about this swim start. Organization was fine....was just a tight swim, nothing to be done about it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Don't know my time but I would have loved to see a youtube of me trying to get out of that wetsuit! I think I burned 400 calories just doing that.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 11.2 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

After living in Phoenix for the last few years it has finally dawned on me that Georgia is hilly!! I am reading that this is an average elevation for a race so I need to suck it up on the bike. I haven't been in the saddle a lot this year so my bike was average, no worse than I did last year. Great course, very pretty scenery and mile markings ever two miles so you can get your pace. I thought the bike was great.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 27m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Estimating run time, The run was also very pretty in parts with some steep hills that were not overly long. I have some tendonitis in my knee and I was glad to run on the dirt and grass. Had to make a pit stop that cost me about a minute ten seconds but otherwise I ran okay. I recenlty traded my nice flat Alpharetta big greenway for a hilly run and I am glad I did. Not that there were any killer hills but at least I didn't fall over.
What would you do differently?:

I had really hoped to be a little lighter by this time of year. At 230lbs I am just not going to run that well. I have actually signed up to see an RD from sportfactory since I obiviously have NO kitchen discipline! Hey "shoulda, woulda, coulda"...I need to stop loafing and start training harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the transition area and grabbed my fig newtons and gatorade then grabbed a bananna and tried to get to the results area (yeah right). Managed to peak at my times but I can't remember them now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been neglecting the bike and the swim trying to get my weight down by running. Supposedly SCT is one of the best biking routes in the country and I need to go check it out.

Event comments:

Well organized and plenty of volunteers. Was happy to participate.

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:15 | 656 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 11.2 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:15 | 03.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2007-04-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: #780336

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Good job getting out there! I bet that lake water was cold! Good luck with the rest of your season!
2007-04-29 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Nice job on the race!!  Way to go!!
2007-04-29 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Good for you for getting out there despite only recently recovering from an injury.  Sounds like you worked it!
2007-04-29 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race! I had the same wetsuit issues, what a mess. It was good talking to you pre-race. Hope to see you out there soon. Congrats on a great race.
2007-04-29 2:55 PM

User image

Master
Great race report.

2007-04-29 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA

Wetsuits are evil and should be banned.  At least in Sprints! 

I also moved here from Phoenix (in '92), and hills are interesting to say the least, eh?

Great job on the race.  Don't worry about getting in the girls way on the swim.  That's life!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed