NCN Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 29s
Overall Rank = 30/41
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Was kind of dehydrated after hunting yesterday morning. Drank water all afternoon and evening. I must have been up 3-4 times during the night to pee.

Got up at 4:10am to do farm chores. I didn't do any prep last night except for checking my bike over and pumping tires. Ate an egg, cheese, english muffin sandwich and drank some OJ and some water. I'm a pretty simple packer. Packed my helmet, bike gloves, bike shoes, computer and water bottle. Stuffed a couple granola bars in my pocket. Loaded the bike and gear in the car. Done! Left the house at 6am.
Event warmup:

Walked around. Then about 10 minutes of jogging and some light stretching.
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I had a good run. I came in under 9 min/mile pace again so I am really happy. Last year my run time was 27:53 so I took off approximately 1 minute.

For whatever reason, my calves are still really tight (not sore) ever since the 5 mile race last weekend. I did loosen up some in the middle, but there is a long downhill at the end and my calves were complaining. Going to have to get my massage guy to fix this.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I didn't want to push any harder knowing I still had to bike.

Eventually I need to start running some hills. Just as comparision, my home 3.5 mile route I do has 33 feet of elevation gain/loss. Can you say flat as a pancake?
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I am really happy here. I took about 50 seconds off of last year's time. And I changed into bike shoes this year which I didn't do last year. I must have taken a nap in transition last year.

I did have some fumbling with my bike gloves. I had this bright idea to carry them in my jacket pocket on the run. Then I was going to put them on before I got to transition. I forgot. Duh! They are easy to slip on, but did cost me some time. I need to either run with the gloves on or forget them all together.

Plus I forgot to hit my lap button on my watch when I came into transition. The race is manually timed and they only give a total time. It was when I started to put my gloves on that I remembered my watch. I was near the entrance to transition so I am figuring I was there about 10 seconds before hitting my lap button.
Bike
  • 58m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Last year's time was 1:01:37. My goal was to do the course in under 1 hour. This meant I had to do each mile in 4 minutes. Knowing that really helped push me through the course as I passed the mile markers along the route. Wind was around 15mph. Since most of the course is wooded and hilly, I only noticed the wind in just a couple places.

My legs were really blah coming off the run, but it didn't take long to get into a groove. My pace was starting to fall off some on the uphills on lap 4 and 5. Knowing that I didn't have to run afterwards, I just pushed as hard as I could the last lap.

One thing I did try that worked well: I grabbed a chewy granola bar and started eating it as I ran through transition. Finished it before I even reached the first bend in the road. It settled just fine in my stomach and that is good to know.

The biggest blunder was my jacket. I had it mostly unzipped for the run. I was planning on zipping it up before I got on the bike, but this was just one more thing I forgot to do in transition. So I tried to zip it up while biking. The zipper got stuck and I gave up. I am sure that having a partially open jacket is not very aerodynamic. Plus I wasn't pedaling very hard while fiddling with my jacket.

I need to learn how to drink better if I am going to progress to a duathlon. I was fine on the bike, but would have been hurting a little by the end of the second run I think. This course made it hard though because it is up, down, up, down. Very few "flat" spots to take a drink. I did drink some, but could have done better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around. Ate a banana, a bite sized brownie and drank Gatorade.

This race doesn't have a formal awards ceremony at the end. They hand out any awards as you cross the finish line. I got a trophy for 3rd overall female!!!! WaHOO!!!!! Ok, only 10 women in the race, but still, kind of cool!

AND I won a door prize. I won a free duathlon registration for another NCN duathlon this year. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Doggies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual being middle age excuse. I still don't feel 100% after the achilles injury from last year. I'm still riding the ol' faithful steel framed touring bike with toe clips. I really like this bike though. I might cry when I finally progress upward to a new bike, but that won't be happening any time soon. I just don't take this racing stuff seriously enough I guess.

Event comments:

This is a low key race. Even though they don't have fancy swag or chip timing, everything is organized and on time. The course is beautiful! There is also a duathlon and a 3 mile run as part of the whole event.

Last updated: 2007-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:52 | 03 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/41
Performance: Good
Course: One lap around Hinckley Lake. 325 feet of elevation gain/loss. This is a really pretty park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:58:31 | 15 miles | 15.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/41
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Same as the run, but 5 laps around the lake instead of just 1.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Buzzard Biathlon

2007-04-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: #780501

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-30 9:17 AM

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Buzzard Biathlon
Wow 1st in AG... that is something to write home about! 
2007-04-30 9:28 AM

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Really nice race Diane!  and you ran at an 8-something pace.  How cool is that?
2007-04-30 5:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race! You're fast!
2007-05-02 6:23 AM

Master
Perth, Australia
Well done! Awesome race. You're pretty fast. Congratulations on coming 3rd. And 13C ... brr what a cold morning!

2007-05-02 6:44 AM

Champion
MA

Sweet race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st place in your AG rocks! Super pace on the run....excellant!

Tight calves...hmmm sounds so familar...we share to much of the same injuriies...let's get healthy for good!

WTG to win the door prize too!

Awesome that you beat your times from last year....excellant! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buzzard Biathlon Rss Feed