General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victor, New York
United States
Thompson Healthcare Foundation
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 56/172
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 80/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6:30, had some cereal and a banana. A little oj and some coffee as well. I then got the wife up and got dressed.

We arrived about 40 minutes before the start and I picked up my registration packet and help Connie get registered. This was her first race and she was a little nervous about being a walker in a running race. I tried to assure her that there usually are walkers and she would be fine.

Met up with Dexter and met Yoshi and Will and Chad. Found my brother in law and niece who were also running. Ran into Kam32 just before the start as well. It was good to be at a race and see some other familier faces as well.
Event warmup:

I jogged around the parking lot a little and stretched a bit. Stripped down to shorts and a t-shirt and headed to the line.
Run
  • 23m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up about 3 or 4 rows back from the front. Took off pretty quick with the crowd, at 1/2 mile the pace was sub 7:00 so I backed it off a little. It just past here that Mike (brother in law) said to go on. I ran at a comfortable pace up through the hill to the turn around and picked it up some on the way back to the turn. Saw Connie just before the turn off. She was doing well for walking and was ahead of some that were running at the time. Ran this section with a guy who's wife I work with and caught up to Dexter with about a mile to go. Ran with Dex for about half or 1/4 of a mile and he dropped off. As I turned for the finish line I realized if I picked it up a little I would be comfortably below 24 minutes which got me excited as I had hoped to just break 25. I know I gave it my best as it was the first time I felt like puking for the last part of the race!
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I was real pleased with the way I ran.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and congratulated Dex and Kam32 for great finishes. Waited for Mike and Connie to come in. Grabbed some water and a bagel and chatted with some other folks I know. Waited for the awards and enjoyed the day. Connie was suprised to get 3rd in her age group. I'm not sure how many were there but considering she walked she still finished sub 45 minutes so she enjoyed her first 5K experience. Thats good as she will want to go to more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the puking desire, but not much really.

Event comments:

Very well run and organized. 2 drink stations for a 5K. I think that if this race was on a Saturday it would easily have a lot more people.

Last updated: 2007-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:45 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 56/172
Performance: Good
172 average 177 max
Course: One hill near 1/2 mile and smaller rolling hills after that.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK

2007-04-30 6:44 AM
in reply to: #780561

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK
If my shoe wasn't untied we would had a good race to the finish.  No.  You ran a great race and should be proud.  Congrates to Connie on getting hardware.
2007-04-30 7:48 AM
in reply to: #780561

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK
Welcome to my world!!  The one where every race I feel like puking!  Ain't it great?!  You ran an awesome race!  I was glad to see you and to meet your wife!  It was an awesome day for a run! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 10th ANNUAL BETTER LIFE 5K & 1-MILE FUN WALK Rss Feed