United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 14s
Overall Rank = 15/
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to race. I did a hilly 10K trail run yesterday, so I was concentrating on warming up, staying loose, no cramps.
Event warmup:

Ran around the parking lot, shook it out, did yoga stretching.
Run
  • 24m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't really have any goals for this race, since I had just done a very difficult and hilly trail run just the day before. So just showing up was a goal. Anyway, when I got to the race, I was starting to feel pretty good, and I started to think I could perhaps run a good race -- perhaps in the 22 minute range, though I thought that a sub-20 would be difficult on this fairly hilly course.

Started off running quite well, and felt very good running just back from the young bucks. Had a fast first mile, then a pretty painful second mile, then I took a slug of water from the sole water station and regretted it -- that water hit my stomach like a brick and just hung there. So the last mile, climbing back up to the hospital, felt pretty bad, and I stopped to walk for a few seconds at the top of a few little hills. Finished strong, though.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster. Age up into the next AG, since running with the 25 year-olds sucks.

It's true, I need to work on mental toughness. How can I push myself more to keep a higher pace?
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running at the top end of my AG.

Event comments:

Good community 5K; volunteers with radios and reflective vests at every corner. Plus, if you have a coronary, you're right at the ER entrance.

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:14 | 03.11 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 15/
Performance: Average
Course: Rectangular loop through the streets of Cambridge; a couple good hills, then a long downhill, then more hills back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 4:46 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Southeastern Med's Fitness 5K

2007-04-29 6:03 PM
in reply to: #780587

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Southeastern Med's Fitness 5K

What?  Are you nuts?    Running a 5k race after yesterday's race!  Well I'm impressed!  Good job on both accounts!  My friend and I were just discussing the mental aspect of racing after our 5 miler last weekend.  No answers except that racing is mostly mental.  Now there's a news flash.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Southeastern Med's Fitness 5K Rss Feed