Crystal Lake, Illinois
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 44s
Overall Rank = 9/
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke Jack up. Got the bag ready. Walked out the door with Jack and Schmize was pulling up (in his sweet new Caddy). We walked the half mile over to the school. Beautiful sunny morning with a crisp little breeze. Perfect.
Event warmup:

Not much to speak of. Ran the 1 mi. fun run with Jack. He did great. I'm so proud of him. Looking back on it this would not be my choice for a warm up when I'm trying to PR because I had very little time between the 1 mi. and the 5K. Don't get me wrong - today it was way more important that I did this with Jack than my own race so I'm glad I did it. Just saying for the future I should just do it for the kids and not expect to PR in the 5K. Schmize didn't do the mile so was scoping out the competition. Especially the guy who looked to be mid 20's doing strides in the parking lot and then putting on his racing flats! He didn't win but he beat us.

It was also fun seeing people we know from the neighborhood, sports, school, etc.
Run
  • 20m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out faster than I expected. I think we ran the first half mile in under 3 minutes. Settled down a little but still fast. I won't always take 5K's this seriously but I wanted to set a PR that will last for a while. I debated whether to go out medium hard and then build or fast and just try to keep it going as long as I could. I decided on the latter and was shooting for a 6:30 first mile. Came in at 6:20. Oooo, this is going to hurt. I switched with Schmize here a couple of times but as we got into mile 2 he pulled away. We were into the breeze now and I had hoped to use him as a windscreen but I couldn't keep up with him. I struggled a lot here. As we went past the school the other way he was about 15 yards ahead of me and I could not close. A guy came up behind me and passed. At this point I could still see the leader (almost 2 mile mark) and I counted up the pack. I was in 10 place. I had lots of nasty thoughts about inviting Schmize to come do this race with me. "That sandbagger is going to bump me out of the top 10 if one more person passes me. Knee surgery my ass!" :) As we went on I just tried to keep as close as I could. I didn't think I would have anything in the tank for a final kick but if I did I wanted to be as close to him as possible. As we rounded "the loop" I realized that we would be turning toward the school with the breeze at our back with about .5 mile left. It was sooner than I had planned on kicking but I had ground to make up. So when the breeze hit my back I picked it up. Later Scott explained that that was also the exact same time he felt like he hit the wall. Those two things combined allowed me to catch up and pass with about .3 to go. I had a guy in front of me I thought about catching. With about .2 to go I shoulder checked to see if Scott was close. He was there but he'd have to really burn it to catch me. I looked back to go after the next guy and he was gone. He REALLY had a finishing kick. So I just ran for all I was worth and strided it out through the parking lot and the crowd cheering us on. Crossed the line. The first woman in the chute asked if I was ok. She asked in a way that made me think she doesn't ask everyone that question so I must have looked like my usual self at the end of a race. Death. I bent over and tried not to hurl while resisting the urge to lay down. Schmize crossed the line before I even looked up. That stud doesn't even consider himself all the way back from surgery and he just posted about a 20:49.
What would you do differently?:

Try to push harder during the meat of the race. First mile was good and last half mile was good. From 1.0 to 2.5 I get a little wobbly and I think I lose confidence in my ability to sustain the pace. A more traditional warmup might have helped too, but probably wouldn't have made THAT much of a difference.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around in the breeze, drank water. Analyzed the race with Schmize and then talked with another friend who finished around 29:00 in his first race ever. He crossed the line, bent over as the sweat poured from his face and said loudly, "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?" I don't know if he meant by signing up for the race or pounding down beers the last two nights in a row but it was funny.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training. I've been just trying to put on longer miles in training for the half mary next weekend and the HIM this summer. I should have done more speed work.

Event comments:

This is a great local event, especially for the kids. Lots of awards given out in the gym afterwards. The mile race was a blast. Jack's best freind won his grade level in the mile and the girl down the street from us won her grade level in the 5K. It's just a very fun community thing. After the race neighbors who were working the water station and doing other volunteer things came up to us and said hi. I think between running it or volunteering I'll be involved with this race for a number of years to come. I might offer to pace run it next year (unless Jack decides to do the 5K) if they need someone else because I didn't see Walter there this year. We'll see.

Last updated: 2007-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:44 | 03.11 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 9/
Performance: Good
Avg. HR Max Pace Mile 1 6:20 / 171 bpm / 5:23 (went out fast!) Mile 2 6:44 / 177 bpm / 6:08 Mile 3 7:05 / 181 bpm / 6:23 (fading) .10 5:34 / 188 bpm / 5:05 (there WAS something in the tank) Totals: 20:44 / avg 176 bpm/ max 189 bpm / 6:41 pace.
Course: Flat. Side streets and bike path, all in the area near my house.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 7:53 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: Woodscreek Feet Meet

2007-04-30 8:29 AM
in reply to: #781041

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Woodscreek Feet Meet

Good report!  The detail is amazing.  I was breathless as the story unfolded.

AWESOME 20:44.  Seriously, that is fantastic.  Phenomenal time.  Great PR!

2007-04-30 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Good race and congratulations on your PB

Maybe the “warm up” mile with jack was just what you needed to get your PB,

and great job getting back up to and passing Schmize

2007-04-30 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Seriously, that was a great race!  Thanks for the kind words, too.  The fact that you can run that fast with virtually no speed work, is just awesome.   I am glad I could push you, too.   Of course, now you will need to break 1:40 next weekend.  I love competition......
2007-04-30 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Amazing race! That is some fast running Donkey! Congrats on the PR!
2007-05-02 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Nicely done!  In my next 5k, maybe you can come out and carry pace me to a sub-21 min time...

2007-05-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: #784807

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Damn Hang!!  You sure have stepped up from when I first got on the site and you were stressing about running pace!!

Congrats on the top 10 and big old PR!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodscreek Feet Meet Rss Feed