Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Good documentary - Great news for cyclists Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-04-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: #782034

Pro
Subject: RE: Good documentary - Great news for cyclists
bradword - 2007-04-30 3:52 PM

tkbslc - 2007-04-30 12:30 PM

Personally, I think they need to artificially raise gas prices, to give people an incentive to either conserve or develop alternatives.

They've tried this in Europe and it hasn't made a bit of difference, exept driving the economy down and raising prices on all goods.  People are still driving as much with prices up to 2-3x(?) as high as US gas.

What?! 35 - 40% of the cars driven in Europe are diesel. 60% of new cars in France, 70% in Austria (source: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022218) Public transportation is much more commonly used and much more useable than in most places in North America.

Most cars sold there are smaller and have smaller engines. Make gas more expensive and consumers will definitely be looking for a more economical alternative. I'm not saying that it is the solution (because it's not) but higher gas prices in Europe have clearly had an effect on what Europeans drive and how much they use public transportation vs. their car.

2007-04-30 11:13 PM
in reply to: #782063

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
I haven't looked either way, but hasn't that been the case in europe long before gas prices went high?  Coalition and causality are totally different.
2007-05-01 8:20 AM
in reply to: #782782

Pro
bradword - 2007-05-01 12:13 AM

I haven't looked either way, but hasn't that been the case in europe long before gas prices went high?  Coalition and causality are totally different.

Actually, I think gas prices have always been high. But your point is well taken.

Here is an interesting article about fuel prices and how Europeans adapt. I think raising gas prices to similar levels in North America could very well provoke a violent revolution, but after that people might start being a bit more conservation minded.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.html

2007-05-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #781504

Extreme Veteran
Gee, I heard this in 1976. The prediction then was that worldwide oil reserves would be exhausted in 15 years. This was the inspiration for the Mad Max movies. In the early 70's I remember predictions by scientists who should know, that we would have worldwide famine by 1987, and that all natural resources, copper is one I specifically remember, would become exhausted by the year 2000 causing global economic collapse. Oh, we were also supposed to be prepared for a coming ice age. One advantage of late middle age is being able to remember all this stuff. I even did a paper on the pressures for war that would be created by overpopulation and famine. I opined that China/USA conflict would cause WWIII by around 1984. Oh, well. These are all predictions I was glad to have not be accurate, but, if you keep predicting this sort of thing, eventually you will be right.

Edited by HankJKy 2007-05-01 11:34 AM
2007-05-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: #783419

Pro
HankJKy - 2007-05-01 12:31 PM

Gee, I heard this in 1976. The prediction then was that worldwide oil reserves would be exhausted in 15 years. This was the inspiration for the Mad Max movies. In the early 70's I remember predictions by scientists who should know, that we would have worldwide famine by 1987, and that all natural resources, copper is one I specifically remember, would become exhausted by the year 2000 causing global economic collapse. Oh, we were also supposed to be prepared for a coming ice age. One advantage of late middle age is being able to remember all this stuff. I even did a paper on the pressures for war that would be created by overpopulation and famine. I opined that China/USA conflict would cause WWIII by around 1984. Oh, well. These are all predictions I was glad to have not be accurate, but, if you keep predicting this sort of thing, eventually you will be right.

So.... does this mean you don't think we should start planning for the day that the world runs out of oil?
2007-05-01 12:27 PM
in reply to: #783443

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

I don't think it means that, but I still truely dislike the sky is falling tactics of people like Al Gore who exagerate and outright lie just because they believe the cause is worth it.  Tell us the truth, tell us whats really happening and we'll work on the problem.

People tend not to listen when they keep getting lied to (not by you Opus, but by exaggerating people trying to get their points across

2007-05-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: #783443

Extreme Veteran
Opus - 2007-05-01 11:41 AM

HankJKy - 2007-05-01 12:31 PM

So.... does this mean you don't think we should start planning for the day that the world runs out of oil?

Nope. Like I said, eventually one of these predictions will be right. However, predictions of more than say 50 years have a built in problem, which is that they assume present trends will continue, and things change. Oil use, though, is here to stay for quite a while, it seems to me, and obviously we will use it all up unless we find alternatives. That could be one of those things that changes, right? My point, I guess, is that predictions of this sort are frequently wrong, and "experts" sometimes have such strong opinions that they forget they don't really know for sure. Especially on the issue of timing. The articles in the 70s were based on the same sorts of data as the current predictions, but were made inoperative by later developments, mostly newly discovered oil reserves. At the time, the opinion was that all the discoverable oil was known. Now don't go all postal; the folks in the 70's were just as passionate about their scenarios as anyone today. We overlook so much, and focus on only a few issues, and long-term ones at that. If the bees all die, we won't last long enough to worry about the oil running out. Or, if a big asteroid comes along, or a supervolcano, or a nuclear exchange, or a nice new disease of the "black death" genre. We may not see it coming if it actually comes. Also , there are lots of environmental reasons to reduce oil dependency, even if we had an unlimited supply. Our dependency on the automobile also consumes a huge portion of our resources and economy, when you consider road construction, and related expenses. Even just the cost of automobiles is so high that it baffles me how middle-class folks handle it, sometimes. I would much prefer we had invested long ago in mass transit.
2007-05-01 1:56 PM
in reply to: #781504

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
I agree we don't have to panic now, but we should react now before we HAVE to panic.   I think that is the point Opus is trying to make as well.    Unfortunately, every time Americans start thinking about gas conservation, OPEC releases a few hundred billion extra barrels into the supply chain to drop the prices back under $2.  
2007-05-01 2:43 PM
in reply to: #783798

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
tkbslc - 2007-05-01 1:56 PM

I agree we don't have to panic now, but we should react now before we HAVE to panic. I think that is the point Opus is trying to make as well. Unfortunately, every time Americans start thinking about gas conservation, OPEC releases a few hundred billion extra barrels into the supply chain to drop the prices back under $2.

Why is reality "unfortunate"?

If there weren't a few hundred billion extra barrels to spare, it doesn't seem like there would be anything to release?
2007-05-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: #783736

Pro
HankJKy - 2007-05-01 2:31 PM

Nope. Like I said, eventually one of these predictions will be right. However, predictions of more than say 50 years have a built in problem, which is that they assume present trends will continue, and things change. Oil use, though, is here to stay for quite a while, it seems to me, and obviously we will use it all up unless we find alternatives. That could be one of those things that changes, right? My point, I guess, is that predictions of this sort are frequently wrong, and "experts" sometimes have such strong opinions that they forget they don't really know for sure. Especially on the issue of timing. The articles in the 70s were based on the same sorts of data as the current predictions, but were made inoperative by later developments, mostly newly discovered oil reserves. At the time, the opinion was that all the discoverable oil was known. Now don't go all postal; the folks in the 70's were just as passionate about their scenarios as anyone today. We overlook so much, and focus on only a few issues, and long-term ones at that. If the bees all die, we won't last long enough to worry about the oil running out. Or, if a big asteroid comes along, or a supervolcano, or a nuclear exchange, or a nice new disease of the "black death" genre. We may not see it coming if it actually comes. Also , there are lots of environmental reasons to reduce oil dependency, even if we had an unlimited supply. Our dependency on the automobile also consumes a huge portion of our resources and economy, when you consider road construction, and related expenses. Even just the cost of automobiles is so high that it baffles me how middle-class folks handle it, sometimes. I would much prefer we had invested long ago in mass transit.

Yes, the cost of running a car is shocking. I don't like it much, but maybe that's why I drive around in old cars rather than buying or leasing a new car every few years.

As far as mass transit goes, I'm always amazed at the quality of public transportation in Europe. Most of the time a car is really undesirable b/c there's no faster way to get around than by train. I wish it were like that in North America.

I realize that things change and I've had a feeling that the thing that will kill off so many of us will be some form of airborne AIDS or Ebola virus. Billions die and then, voila! No more oil shortage. But, similar to the global warming debate, to fail to act on what we know does no favours to our descendants who are bound to see us 200, 500 or 1000 years from now for what we are: Stupid and short-sighted.
2007-05-01 9:47 PM
in reply to: #783905

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

watsonrm - 2007-05-01 1:43 PM
tkbslc - 2007-05-01 1:56 PM I agree we don't have to panic now, but we should react now before we HAVE to panic. I think that is the point Opus is trying to make as well. Unfortunately, every time Americans start thinking about gas conservation, OPEC releases a few hundred billion extra barrels into the supply chain to drop the prices back under $2.

Why is reality "unfortunate"? If there weren't a few hundred billion extra barrels to spare, it doesn't seem like there would be anything to release?

Reality is unfortunate in many ways.  Why else would we have to escape it by Tri training? 

Sure there is plenty of oil supply now.   But shouldn't we be thinking about saving it before it becomes scarce?  Aside from all the pollution unchecked oil consumption creates. 

2007-05-02 2:52 AM
in reply to: #783923

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

Opus - 2007-05-01 1:50 PM  But, similar to the global warming debate, to fail to act on what we know does no favours to our descendants who are bound to see us 200, 500 or 1000 years from now for what we are: Stupid and short-sighted.

Yeah, those generations with 100s of years of better technology, those poor people just won't know what to do at all. 

2007-05-02 7:43 AM
in reply to: #784769

Pro
bradword - 2007-05-02 3:52 AM

Opus - 2007-05-01 1:50 PM  But, similar to the global warming debate, to fail to act on what we know does no favours to our descendants who are bound to see us 200, 500 or 1000 years from now for what we are: Stupid and short-sighted.

Yeah, those generations with 100s of years of better technology, those poor people just won't know what to do at all. 

Yeah, they might not suffer at all. We can, for example, look at the ancient Romans as stupid and short-sighted, but the fall of Rome doesn't really affect us today.

1000 years from now, assuming humans are still around, they may just think of us as a stupid and short-sighted society, but hold nothing against us. It may well only be our children's children and their children who really hold our stupidity and short-sightedness against us.

Maybe you're right: Maybe I should just not worry about the mess we're making and take the attitude that time and technology will make everything right.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Good documentary - Great news for cyclists Rss Feed  

of 2