General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fastest-warming lake in Spokane area? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-30 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: Fastest-warming lake in Spokane area?

Hi all,

I'm signed up for the Onion Man triathlon in WallaWalla the last weekend in May.  It seemed like a really good idea when I signed up, but now that it's only a few weeks away and it's still so cold I'm getting a little worried about the swim.   I'd like to get at least one OWS in before race day.  Which lake in the Spokane area warms the fastest in the Spring?  I'm pretty sure it isn't CdA Smile but don't really know where to start.  Liberty?  Medical?  Everywhere is pretty cold right now, but I'm hoping to find somehere close that WON'T give my hypothermia by the second to last week in May...  Any ideas?

2007-05-02 3:33 PM
in reply to: #781571

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Fastest-warming lake in Spokane area?
Hey, another Spokanite! I haven't trained OWS yet this season, but last year I swam in Medical lake and it's pretty shallow so it must be WAY warmer than CDA. I also like it because of the no power-boat thing. There's a place to get into the water that's by a little parking lot on the west (?) shore--right before the big hill up to Eastern State Hospital.

I thought about the Onion Man, but decided it was too early in the year for an OLY. My season starts with the Iron Eagle at EWU--a sprint with a pool swim. Then I'm doing the Cys Wog-n-Fun in Nelson (1/4 IM) the first weekend in August and the Titanium Man (Oly) in the Tri-cities on Labor Day weekend. This is a repeat of last year--my first year in tri's.

Have you done other tri's in the area? I'd appreciate any general impressions you could give me.

Thanks,
Jerome

2007-05-20 9:03 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle WA
Iron Eagle? How come this EWU alum does not know of this? When is it?
2007-05-21 3:26 PM
in reply to: #808988

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Yes, they don't publicize the Iron Eagle much at all. If you google EWU IM Sports, you'll find a reference to it in the calendar of events.

Anyway, it's June 3rd and I really enjoyed it last year. It was a perfect first tri for me because of the pool swim and the fact that it's a smaller field. It's very well run.

I'm going to try to attach a PDF of the registration form. It gives the race director's contact information on it. I believe it's always the first Sunday of June, but if you ever wanted to do it in the future contact Mr. Campitelli and I'm sure he'd be happy to fax or email a form. He's a very nice guy.

Attachments
----------------
Iron Eagle 2007.pdf (28KB - 37 downloads)
2007-05-21 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Seattle WA
Thanks!

I already have a commitment this yr for that weekend, but Im always looking for an excuse to cross the Cascades. I'll see ya next yr for sure. Thanks again!
2007-07-17 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
I too am a EWu alum. Was in Spaokane on June 3rd (Birthday) and heard nothing. Now I have to check it out for next year. Just started Tri's in Arizona, but dream of doing full IM in CDA, ID in 2009!

2016-07-03 12:21 AM
in reply to: c_cic

I hate to spoil a secret, but Bear Lake makes Medical Lake seem cold (but yes, Medical Lake is one of the warmest). 12 minutes north of Spokane, serene and calm, no motor boats allowed. The best. Rumors of swimmers itch (that may have been an issue 25 years ago) keep some people away, but I have swam there for 10 years without issue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fastest-warming lake in Spokane area? Rss Feed