United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 10/170
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am to go to the bathroom. Tried to get back to sleep, but couldn't. Got up and started to get ready. Had a bowl of cereal and got my stuff together and headed over to Hangloose's house. When I got there, he was coming out with his son, Jack and we walked over to Jack's school.
Event warmup:

Warmup was kind of a hodge podge. I forgot my race belt, and since it was still early, I decided I was going to go home and get it (another reason to ride in my new car). However, I started jogging back to HL's house, and decided that I didn't really need it. So, then I jogged back. Ran w/ HL and Jack for about 1/4 mile, then did some strides and stretched out.
Run
  • 20m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The race went pretty much as I thought it might. In talking with Hangloose before the race, I figured I could be his rabbit and that I could keep a good pace for a mile or a mile and a half. I told him that I could probably do a 6:20/6:30 first mile, and then would just try to hold on. I knew that I wouldn't be able to hold on for long, just b/c I haven't run that much this year. And to be honest, this 3.1 miles felt like about 6 or 7. As much as I was playing the rabbitt, I was also trying to put up a good time, as well as try and beat Hangloose. That is the great thing about our competitive relationship. He knew that I wasn't going to hold back, so he had to have a great race to beat me..and he did.

Anyway, we went out as planned, and my first mile was 6:15. I felt really good at this point, but realize I had to cool it a bit or I would be walking in. So, I consciously slowed down a tad, which made me feel even stronger. I then convinced myself that I could probably PR, so I started picking it up. This was great, as I was probably in 5th or 6th place after 2 miles. But then it hit me. A slight wind at one of the turns, a side ache (haven't had one of those in a looong time) and the realization that I was only 2/3 of the way through. So then it was just about survival. Hangloose passed me at about 2.75 miles and even though he said he was cooked, he wasn't slowing down....

I finished as strong as I could trying to stay close to him. And was more than happy with my time...
What would you do differently?:

Not much. 4 months removed from knee surgery and I put up a time that rivals the same time I had in October...when I was in great shape. I would have remembered my race belt, although that didn't affect my final time. I definitely needed to pace myself better to have more at the end, but that is also a product of not running as much as I should be...
Post race
Warm down:

Took some Endurox, some water and some food. Watched the award ceremony with the HL family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough run training, b/c I am consciously taking it slow coming off the knee surgery.

The good thing, though, is that the knee did not limit my time at all. It was more a function of the aerobic system.

Event comments:

A great race and very well organized.

Last updated: 2007-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:49 | 03.11 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/
Overall: 10/170
Performance: Good
1m: 6:15m/m, 165 ahr 2m: 6:39m/m, 175 ahr 3m: 6:59m/m, 175 ahr .1m: 5:40m/m, 178 ahr
Course: Relatively flat. Around the school, on a running trail and roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Woodscreek Feet Meet

2007-04-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: #781681

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Woodscreek Feet Meet

GREAT RACE!!!

A 20:49 is nothing to sneeze at regardless of when it happens.  Certainly top-shelf considering your recent running and knee surgery.  You are GAME ON for summer '07.

2007-04-30 4:10 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice run especially considering your knee surgery a few months ago. If nothing else that has to provide some good mental comfort and confidence going forward knowing that's not going to be a limiter for the season.
2007-05-01 9:10 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I think they should have tested your B sample.

2007-05-02 6:11 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Holy crap.  You make me want to go out and have my knee worked on.  Seems like it's worked for you.

Nice race!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodscreek Feet Meet Rss Feed