Canada
6-10C / 0F
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 6s
Overall Rank = 182/8533
Age Group = M2529
Age Group Rank = 20/385
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am had a big bowl of oatmeal and a banana, some green tea and a bottle of water. Drove to the race with some friends and sipped on a bottle of gatorade.
Event warmup:

Jogeed easy for a few minutes, stretched, did some quick jogs and stretched some more, hit the porta potty..., some quicker jogs intervals, then got in line for the start.
Run
  • 41m 6s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Started out fairly high up as every year I seem to get stuck behind poorly seeded runners who tend to hold me up a bit. Same thing happened this year, the gun went off and a group of 10 people right in front of me started out on a pace which would have probably been close to a 6 minute km. After struggling to find room to pass them I had to weave in and out of other poorly seeded runners to find some room. Hit the first km marker in a dissapointing 4:07, last year my first km was 4 mins flat, so I started to pick up the pace to make up for the easy 1st km. Fired off 2 quick km's in 3:52 and 3:51 and then hit the 4th km which is the start of a slow gradual climb, managed a 3:59 and still felt really good and was starting to get pumped that I might be able to pull off a sub 40 10km which is one of my goals for this season. That's when I ran into trouble, about halfway through the 5th km you come out of a sheltered cove onto a long 3.5km stretch along the water that is not sheltered and the wind was insane, I struggled over the next 4km's to keep up my pace although I was still passing lots of people so I felt as though I was running strong, but the timme just wasn't happening. As I hit the last km I was feeling pretty good so I pushed as hard as I could for the last km trying to go under 41, but I just missed it!!! Oh well, I beat my new PB from 2 weeks ago 41:31 by 25 seconds so I was still extremely happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Not much to be honest other than maybe try and seed myself even higher up, although I do not want to be blocking people who are faster than me either so what can you do??? Nothing I can do about the wind and I felt I ran the race I needed to so all in all I am very happy with my execution.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to my car to grab some warm clothes and then waited for my friends at the finish to cheer them on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind. No doubt.

Event comments:

Pretty good race, lots of fan support, although they need to do something for better after race activities.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:06 | 10 kms | 04m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 20/385
Overall: 182/8533
Performance: Good
Splits: 1km: 4:07.9, 2km: 3:52.9, 3km: 3:51.4, 4km:3:59.3, 5km: 4:13.9, 6km: 4:19.1, 7km: 4:16.2, 8km: 4:10.8, 9km: 4:12.4, 10km: 4:02.5
Course: Slightly rolling, but fairly flat course, no major climbs. Windy!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 1:37 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Times Colonist 10K

2007-05-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: #782840

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Subject: RE: Times Colonist 10K
Nice report, I hear what you're saying about placing yourself - you want to be ahead of the slow people but don't want to be too far up and hold up others.....oh the joys!

Way to go on the new PB, now just gotta go for the sub 40!! Good luck!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Times Colonist 10K Rss Feed