St. Anthony's Triathlon
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 44s
Overall Rank = 2237/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 99/129
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 a.m. Had the usual pre-am-workout meal - a bagel with cream cheese (toasted of course) and a cup of yukon blend coffee, french pressed (delicious). Then headed out to transition to set up my stuff, then over to Lisa's to set her stuff up. We then made the walk to spa beach. The line for chip pick-up was unbelievable - we had to push our way through, or I would have missed my start! Finally upon getting the chip, we secured it on my ankle, I downed a gel and headed towards the water.
Event warmup:

Being a long race, I didn't do too much of a warmup. Got in the water just to get the feel for it, swam about for a few minutes to make sure everything was in good working order, then got into the chute and waited for the horn to go off.
Swim
  • 37m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

what to say about this, which set the tone for the entire race. The swim to the first buoy was gravy - I mean I was flying with good navigation. Rounded the first turn tight and was right in the middle of the pack. I was feeling good, so good that I decided to "navigate" every 15-20 strokes as opposed to every 5 - bad, bad idea. The next time I pop my head up I am about 50meters off course with the surf board dude telling me I am going the wrong direction. Thanks. I am sure its a lot easier to navigate when you are aboard a freaking surf board - dude. So I try to spot the next buoy down and swim to it. Stroke, stroke, stroke, navigate...WTF? I am now at least 75meters off course. Put the head down and swim "directly" at the yellow buoy. This time navigation was a little better, made it to the buoy and rounded it, not nearly as tight as the last time. Stroke, stroke, stroke, navigate...WTF? I am a least 75meters off course again! I curse to myself under the water and try to catch the madness that is the wave after me; stroke, stroke, stroke, navigate...uh oh. I look up and have no idea where I am. My goggles are fogged, and all I see is a orange buoy about 100m away. Was this the one I just rounded? Was this the next buoy? I panicked; not being good at treading water (or doing anything in water except showering), I start to panic. I looked around and saw nobody, I had to shout for help. I felt like I was lost in open sea (like the movie). Just then, like a beacon, a man wearing a big floppy hat in a canoe comes over and shouts to me "grab the end!" I reach up, feeling a wave of relief rush over me. "You're almost done, look!" He points to the east, and I see salvation. Dammit, I came this far, I am not letting a little panic attack keep me from getting to the bike, the only damn thing I can do with any competence in this god forsaken sport. I let go, tell the man in the floppy hat (more like begged him) "stay with me!" And with that, off I went again. Stroke, stroke, stroke, navigate...I look up and find that another guy in a canoe is moving his boat to the north to keep me from swimming in that direction. I swear without those boats I probably would have swam to the bridge and marina that we ran by on the run course. I try to correct myself; the only thing I see is a big yellow penske truck, and I make a bee line for it. As I approach it I realize that I have about 200meters that I have to swim to the south just to make it out of the water. The spectators must have been thinking, what the hell is this guy doing? I swim towards the stairs that would save me, and end this terrible odyssey. Disoriented I reach the stair case where wonderful volunteers helped me up. I was dizzy, could barely balance, but I made it.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to navigate. It is hard to complete your goal time if you swim an additional 500meters, swallow a gallon of sea water and have a panic attack.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Still dizzy I manage to find my bike amongst the myriad of other rides. Getting the suit off was fine. I gave my feet a squirt with some water and slipped on my shoes. With my helmet on I took another gel and out of transition I went. Once on the bike, still a little dizzy, I had trouble clipping into the pedals. Once I was in I took it easy up until past the cobbles, where I clicked the shoe straps to tighten up for the effort ahead.

Swim better so I am not so confused when I arrive in transition
Bike
  • 1h 06m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Not having my PT, I had to do some good intrinsic pacing. I knew that in my 53x15-16 I would be around my FTP. So shifted to the said cogs and off I went. Passed EVERYBODY; except 4 guys who were not only in sweet steeds, but clearly had excellent bike fits. Riding the C'dale may actually have worked out nice in course with so many corners. I took all corners at excellent speed, rarely dropped below 20. Some cars caused me to slam on the brakes, but overall I felt great, especially considering the swim.

Have a true TT rig; and swim better. Do some riding with the tri shorts.
Transition 2
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Here is where I really screwed myself. Knowing that I didn't take in enough nutrition, before heading out I took one last gel...that sat in my stomach like the proverbial time bomb.

Get some of those yankz things, eat more on the bike.
Run
  • 1h 09m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, that time bomb just sat there ticking. I had never felt cramps in my stomach that bad, and on top of that I had to use the restroom (no, I cannot let fly the golden shower whilst on the bike, or on myself). I planned a run 4 walk 1 system that usually gives me about an 8:30 mile. But the cramps were so bad. And even better, my rear felt like someone had just shoved an electric caddle prod up my whoopsie. I made it to the first port o let...ah, relief. My first mile ticked by in over 15minutes (including said break). I was able to pick up the pace most of the rest of the way in, but that time bomb just sat there, waiting to go off. Had to stifle the urge to hurl several times, but tried to push through it. As I made that final turn, I felt so relieved it was almost over. Down the finishing chute I must have looked like death. But it was over, and I had finished my first triathlon. Thank God.

Eat more on the bike. No, I would still use the port-o-john (just hope next time there is no line). Not take a gel right before the run. Get a more padded seat for triathlons.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and the oh so wonderful iced blue towels. Made my way towards the transition zone to collect my stuff and get changed. Then waited for Lisa to finish...saw Sue and Lucy make their way down the finish line then headed for some grub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim set everything up. Had the swim gone according to plan (and I felt like I was flying, I think a sub 30 was very possible) I feel everything else would have fell into place better. Had I felt fresher off the swim I probably could have lopped another minute off the bike, and with better nutrition I should be able to run much closer to my true ablilities. But these are all excuses, and excuses are like, well you know the saying. St. Anthony's, you won this time, next time, I am making you my bitch.

Event comments:

They really need something better than papa j's za in the post race tent. I a mean, seriously.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 119/129
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: yes
Course: rectangular, counterclockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:48 | 24.85 miles | 22.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/129
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course through some great neighborhoods, and some just plain 'hoods. Lots of turns
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:09:39 | 06.21 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 111/129
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice run through a neighborhood, some shade and kids spraying water (which felt oh so good).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 7:53 AM

User image

Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 8:22 AM
in reply to: #782960

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Man, what a flipping fast bike time you had, wtg! You can get that swim and run going, believe it, good luck!
2007-05-01 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellent first tri!

It is tough doing an Oly first and having a swim that challenged you, but you nailed the bike like I knew you would do!

Run well you hung on and did it!

I can't wait to see how you do next year when you own that course. With more swimming, your bike times will continue to improve in tris.

I want to ride like you! 

It was great to meet you this weekend! Good luck on your upcoming wedding..you guys are a great couple! 

Congrats on finishing school & doing awesome on your first tri all the same weekend! 

2007-05-01 11:10 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Barry, you freaking killed the bike course.  I think your swim is every triathletes worst fear.  Lesson learned, sight better.  Nice meeting you and hope to see you guys back next year.  Good luck with your wedding and move to Hershey.
2007-05-01 1:03 PM

Master
Boston

I am SO proud of you for training and finishing your first triathlon- and an OLY distance at that!! I loved sharing this sport with you, and now you can finally see how crazy we all are, and why we are obsessed with triathlons!

I know you won't have much time for tri's during residency, but maybe you can train a little bit with me.

You are a FORCE on that bike!!!

2007-05-01 1:20 PM

, Alabama

Oh, the DRAMA of the swim!  You really pulled yourself together for the bike though.  22+!  WOW!!!  Great job!

Sharon

2007-05-01 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job in your first race barry
2007-05-01 3:50 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Barry.  I am howling.  Awesome race report! 

Swim?  Been there with ya, buddy!  GOOD ON YOU!!!!

Fabulous bike!

And when you figure out the bike to run nutrition, you call me, 'k?

Congrats on your first Tri.  You can put this sport in the *dun* column, if you'd like, or you can ... .

I hear you on the 'za ... .  Yuck.

2007-05-01 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on your first tri Barry!! Although, I missed you as a jockstrap this year!!   You kicked serious butt on that bike course, and will have a score to settle with the water for next year!!  
2007-05-01 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Rock 'n' Roll, brotha.  That's a hella first tri, and with only a few hiccups. 

I feel ya completely on the nav.  I didn't panic, but I did swim down to egmont key, then up to pensacola and back.  Fortunately, I was drafting.

You are completely gonna be the shiz when you do get the TT rig.  Just in time for the o-so-sweet hills in upstate PA and NY.  We gots some riding to do, homey.

2007-05-01 8:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on the tri. You are one amazing cyclist... so if you get the swim figured out, you'll be in nice shape heading into the run on any future triathlons. Any chance you could teach me some bike handling skills cause you've obviously got them if you were taking corners at that pace!?! Again, congrats on the race.

2007-05-03 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

And even better, my rear felt like someone had just shoved an electric caddle prod up my whoopsie. 

ROFL!  

Ok...aside from the nav issues that basically set off a few other things, sounds like you were steady for the first part of the swim.  Bike was solid as hell.  Minus the gel on the run and you're golden.  Very impressive first tri -especially with the extra yardage on the swim.

Grats!   

2007-05-03 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm with bostic...that comment was f'ing hilarious.  Not that it's funny to laugh at someone else's pain...but it was a funny description.

Good job sticking it out after a tough swim!  You KILLED that bike course! Wow!  Get you on a TT rig and you'll FLY!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed