St. Anthony's Triathlon
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 88/124
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00am, ate a chocolate chip muffin and drank some water. Got dressed and made sure I packed everything I needed. We headed down to park and then walked over to transition where we were body marked. Took some pictures and set up my area for transitions. We all walked together back over to swim start and got in a massive line to get our chips. Didn't see Rivi or Ron again until after the race. Kate and I waited in line (for what seemed forever) to get our time chips and then again for the porta pots. So glad we were able to stay together until my wave started. We were being silly and taking pictures. This calmed my nerves a little. Downed a boost and put my wetsuit on just in time to get in line with all the other hot pink caps. Then I was off..on my way to becomming a triathlete.
Event warmup:

We did a lot of walking. But really that's it.
Swim
  • 38m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was the most nervous about this event. My expectations of what the start would be like and how I would feel out there (not really in the middle but) in the middle of the bay were way different than reality. I felt good the entire way..wasn't nervous about any of the above. Just got in and got comfortable with my stroke and the water. The first yellow bouy came pretty quick and I was feeling good about that. Thinking the second one would be here soon, but it wasn't. I just kept my head down and tried to not think about all the light blue caps passing me..as they were from the wave behind me. Finally making it to the second yellow bouy I was getting excited. I'm going to do this..and with no panic and no stress like I thought. All I could think about at this point was I just need my bike. I was really glad to see the stairs. Now, I could have gone faster but this is what your first is all about. I probablly ended up swimming 100 or so meters more because I couldn't keep myself in a straight line. This is the only frustrating part of my swim, well that and I had to pee the whole time. I tried to relax enough to pee in the water but I couldn't. Definitely need to work on that. My goal was between 40 and 42 minutes..I'm not the strongest swimmer just yet.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself. I allowed myself to get too comfortable instead of really racing the course. Also, try to stay closer to the bouies(sp).
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

I had to pee the entire swim but couldn't relax in the water. So I decided to sit on the grass and wait until I could pee. So, I'm sitting there tring to pee and it just won't come out. Eventually (like a minute later) I peed a little and just decided that would have to be good enough. Or I would try to go on the bike :) I know, all these details are great. So I took my wetsuit off my ankles and put on my socks and shoes and was out. But walking because someone gave me the wrong information. They told me I had to walk my bike or I would be DQ'd for running. Now I know different.

Run out of transition. Learn to pee in motion.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 10 miles were amazing. I was passing people and feeling great. My legs felt strong and my speed was definitely fast. This is where I should have gu'd. Around mile 11 my stomach started to feel weird and bad but I was able to keep my speed and I figured it would go away soon. Well it just got worse as time went on and eventually it was all I could think about. My thoughts were now on my run as it hurt to be in aero..so I would take small breaks sitting up. Which didn't help my time or my efficiency. I saw Kate out on the course around mile 13 or so and that gave me a mental boost. She looked strong and was happy to see me too. I could feel myself slowing a little so I would pick a biker in front of me and would work to catch them and did this through the finish. The last 4 miles or so were into a headwind and this slowed me down more. By this point all my focus was on the run and how I was going to get through it. I should have gu'd at this point too.

GU GU GU. Looking back it seems so clear. I hadn't taken any nutrition since before the swim except for the Heed I drank on the bike. I thought it would make my stomach worse but it probably would have helped.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Again, walked with bike because I was told I would be DQ'd for running. Other than that the transition went smoothly. Shoes were off and on quick and the bike went on the rack easily.

RUN to rack.
Run
  • 1h 02m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this wasn't going to feel good when I was on the bike. Took off out of transition and saw RT for a quick high five and a mental boost. I actually felt okay for about 2 minutes and I thought oh maybe my stomach is going to be okay. Oh how I was wrong. Less than a mile into the run I decided to stop and pee, which I had been holding for a while. Waited in line..all in all this stop probably took a good 4 minutes but I thought it would relive some of the pressure I was feeling in my stomach. No such luck. The pain was so bad I was in tears at certain points of my run and also from the dissapointment of not being able to really race this event. I just told myself I had to keep going and moved one foot in front of the other. I stopped at all water stops and drank a water and a gatorade and poured a water over my head. I was dehydrated. I was mentally beating myself. Not a proud moment for me when I started to stop and walk at the last 3 water stops. By mile 5 my stomach started to feel better so I picked up my pace to a strong finish. I did what I could with what I had. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in my run. I gave up in a way and that is completely unlike me. I felt horrible, yes, but I could have done a couple things differently. So exciting to see RT and Rivi at the finish to celebrate.

Hydration and nutrion. I should have gu'd on the bike and drank more despite my sour stomach. By the time I started my run I was completly depleted. Not give in mentally. Try and figure out a way to pee while in motion. I can't stop during races. Period.
Post race
Warm down:

Food and lots of water. Walked to the car which was by the swim start and exploded a can of diet coke on some racers on the way :) always looking to make new friends. heh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hydration, nutrion, my head. My training was where it needed to be for this race.

Event comments:

This was a huge learning experience. Hind sight is always 20/20. There are definitely things I would and will do differently now having my first race under my belt. It can only improve from here on out.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:31 | 1640 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 119/124
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: The water was smooth and salty.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:07 | 24.85 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 83/124
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course was a lot of short out and backs. It was flat with a lot of turns. There was little wind on the course until the last 4 miles where there was a moderate headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:28 | 06.21 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 71/124
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat and HOT. Spectators were awesome though on the course. People had hoses and were spraying us as we ran past. Felt so good.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: #783259

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great race, Amy! It coulds like you had an awesome experience, and that you learned a lot. You'll be faaaaaster next time!
2007-05-01 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
You did great Amy. Your first race, and you had very few issues. I have no idea who told you to walk your bike in transition, but they owe you some money or something. Ridiculous. Anyway, your first performance was excellent, and you are now officially... a Triathlete. Congratulations. I know there are many more in your future, and each one will teach you something new. Try not to be frustrated by what you perceive as failures, but do try to learn from all of them. Frankie looked great out there.
2007-05-01 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey! I think it's a great strong first race. Good, respectable time that will come down just by experience in transitions, etc. Overall, I think you had very little adversity.

Great job.

H.
2007-05-01 12:04 PM

User image

New user

Awesome first race, Amy!!! You did fantastic. From what I read, you did not give up in any way. You faced it head on conquered it. Now you know what to do next time. Congratulations, triathlete.
2007-05-01 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Great job - especially for your first race! That's crazy that someone told you to walk in transition - live an learn! It was REALLY hot on the run, I certainly felt your pain there - and you did much better with it than I did. Hopefully you are already planning for your next tri - it's an addicting sport!

2007-05-01 2:44 PM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA
Congratulations on your first tri!  I think figuring out a particular person's nutrition needs simply takes practice.  Take what you learned here and practice your nutrition plan on hard training days. Awesome first race to tackle.  Good luck this year.  BTW, that was  a hot run - congrats for holding it together to the end - it builds character.
2007-05-01 8:51 PM

User image

amy, i am so proud of you, of us! you rocked this race....  for your first time this was more than amazing. it would be amazing for your second and third race too!  and, i am SO SORRY that i thought we were supposed to walk in transition. i swear i thought ron told me that, but obviously not.   now, you can only get better in transition   

anyway, so fun, and again, i am glad we are on this venture together. you rocked it!

2007-05-01 9:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations Triathlete. Good job at the race. I'd say you left it all out on the course and did a great job.
2007-05-02 7:31 AM

User image

Amy, you've worked so hard for this.  It's great that all your focus and determination paid off with a great race.
2007-05-02 11:00 AM

User image

Whew you really did awesome! I think its amazing that you got out there and did an olympic as your first one--u stud! I hope you can overcome the tummy issues and we will work on the swimming in a straight line thing..its hard when there are tons of people around. But great great job--dont sweat the transitions...i would have had no idea the rules---it was an honest mistake and will only improve your time from now on!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed