General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tofu recipes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-07 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
Subject: Tofu recipes
Hey, someone emailed me a while ago and asked for tofu recipes but my email account was wiped out so I've lost their address! If it was you, please contact me! In the mean time, here's some I just wrote out for another member...

Sauteed Tofu Sandwich (makes 1)

1/4 block of extra firm tofu
1/2 sweet onion (candy or vidalia)
Worcestershire sauce
Mrs. Dash Mesquite Barbeque (or any kind you like)
Salt & pepper
Olive Oil
Good bread
Romaine lettuce
1/2 tomato

Chop onion into 1/2 inch pieces, tofu into 1/4inch thick strips (don't forget to sqeeze the water out of the tofu!). Pour 1-2 tablespoons oil into pan, as well as desired amount of Mrs. Dash. Dump tofu and onion into pan, let onion cook to clear, and tofu cook until the outside is crisping. Put tomato and lettuce on bread, lay tofu strips in a grid across the sandwich, pour onion over the sandwich, top with the other piece of bread! Eat the sandwich then use a fork to finish the onions.

Creamy Fried Tofu

1lb tofu 1inch cubes (recipe calls for silken or soft, but I don't like that so I just use firm)
peanut or olive oil
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten

(This is something I haven't tried, but I think it might be a good idea if you're adventurous: try marinating your tofu cubes in soy sauce or something and then letting them dry out a little)

Dry tofu cubes for 1 hr - you want them to be pretty dry.
Place oil in a wok or large deep pan to a depth of 3 inches, heat to medium high.
Add 1 tsp salt and 1/2 pepper to 1 cup flour and place it on a plate. In a bowl, mix the egg yolk with one cup ice water. Add the remaining flour and stir lightly, just until blended, don't worry about lumps. When oil reaches 350 degrees (I don't have a thermometer, I just guessed, but that's what the recipe calls for) dredge the tofu pieces, one at a time, in the flour. Shake off the excess, dip them in the batter, and fry. Don't crowd, you can cook in batches. Stir occasionally, you may have to flip some pieces,and cook until golden brown. If pieces of batter separate you can pull them out with a pasta or slotted spoon. Drain the tofu on paper towels and serve hot.

Julia

2004-09-08 4:28 PM
in reply to: #58820

San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Tofu recipes
some of the best tofu recipes i know are in the South Beach Cookbook. they have things that even my boyfriend ate and complemented me on... until i told him it was tofu. then he pretended to gag. but he liked it. and that's saying something
2004-09-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #58820

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Tofu recipes
Alton Brown (Good Eats on Food TV) has some good recipes for tofu too.

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tofu recipes Rss Feed