St. Anthony's Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3112/3451
Age Group = Clyde 30-39
Age Group Rank = 87/98
Pre-race routine:

Last night we went to MArino's and met up with many of the BTer's who were doing the race. We had a really good time. I really feel a comfort being around the people who can see my logs and who know where i am coming from. It is very easy to become uncomfortable going to a triathlon because my perception is that there will be a lot of svelte athletes sticking their nose in the air at the fat guy. People from BT have either been there, are doing the same thing, or are encouraging others to become better at the sport. All of the aformentioned notions go away very quickly. It is such a GREAT group of people from all over the nation - some who have done ehat I am trying to do with the weiht loss, some with extenxive triathlon resumes, some who run a 6:00 mile. But we all had FUN together, and I really look forward to seeing my BT crew at the next events. My local triclub had a dinner planned at the same time as ours, and I chose this one, because I feel very comfortable around people who (whther or not they are) call themselves beginner triathletes.

Although i did not have my pre-race meal of sushi - they did have ahi tuna with soy sauce on asian noodles. It was close enough and it was very good. I fell asleep at 10:30pm.

Woke up at 5:30pm. We put on our suits and our tripacks and walked the mile from the hotel to the transition area. Once setup, we walked the 3/4 mile to the swim start. We then got our chips, and i put glide on the chafing areas.
Event warmup:

The 1 3/4 mile walk was warmup enough for me. I did my normal pre-run stretch as well.
Swim
  • 35m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

In the corral, I met Rob (Rmaldonado) and Eddie (cobanero). I was standing there completely nervous thinking about how much time and I heard form behind "Hey - You from BT?" Rob introduced himself and Eddie was standing there. He was cracking all sorts of jokes which really helped put me at ease.

The swim was really nice. The water was calm and I did not get kicked as much as I thought I would. My goggles kept filling with water so I stopped around every second buoy to empty rthem. Claudie told me after to loosen up my goggles - I will try that at the next race. My sighting was a little poor, so i was off course a couple of times, I took the last turn really wide.
What would you do differently?:

Loosen the goggles, practice sighting and get in the pool to bring that time down.
Transition 1
  • 03m 47s
Comments:

I had a better transition than my last race, but still not stellar. That is a big time partially because of the distance I ahd to travel to get out of the corral.

I need to learn a running start, with my shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I really felt great on the bike. This was the highlight for me. The first couple of miles were dragging out of the water, but after that, I settled into a nice pace. There were a lot of people on the course, so keeping away from a draft proved challenging. There wer times I would slow to avoid a penalty, and then I would settle into that speed and realize it was too slow. I should have just kept my speed.

I had the bottle cages placed on the tail the day prior to the race (so much for nothing new on race day), so getting accustomed to using those was a little different but not too detrimental. I had them angulated improperly so I had to get up on the biullhorns to reach my bottles.

As I was coming into T2, The riders were really piling up and we were kind of being coralled into a chute so keeping 15 feet was really annoying - there wasn't much room to pass and suddenly I heard a motorcycle come up behind me. I heard her call out a number and I could have sworn it was mine. I was seething. I have no chance of getting a medal here, but just the thought of being accused of cheating mad my blood boil. I do everything I can to play by the rules, and I got a penalty? Wound up it was not me, but I have to learn to accept if i am penalized becuase it played on my mind the whoe rest of the run. I got off the bike and into T2 pretty well.

Nothing new on race day. Adjust the bottle cages properly. Keep my pace and do not let other riders dictate my pace. More time in the saddle. I would have drank more water because I did not feel dehydrated on the bike but it caught up to me in the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

I felt great on the bike, but when I got off of the bike, my legs were gel. I took a real easy T2 becuase I knew I had not much left in the tank for the run and hell I was not going to hurt my run time.

Dismount without taking shoes out of the clips.
Run
  • 1h 35m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

WHOAAA. I ran a solid .5 miles before I had to walk. I came out of the T2 on fire 8:45 by the garmin and thought to myself - I am having a record day!- way too fast. I had to walk/run the rest of the way as I had improperly hydrated on the bike, and left too much on the bike. I really enjoyed the scenery, the people, the spectators, and the overall atmosphere. I saw a lot of BTers on the run and they all encouraged me.

I was dehydrated and I could tell because I was getting the chills on a really hot day. I grabbed water at every stop but I was just getting myself sick. I could not catch up with the hydration no matter how I tried.

In the last .5 mile I heard someone yell "1-2-3-4 Light on your feet" And it really struck a chord with me so I envisioned being light and jogged a 2:00 pace into the finish. I had to wait for Claudie to get in 27 minutes later. I thought I was going to pass out. I could not find the eats tent after the race - I was defintiely not right in my mind because I was cranky and could not make a decision. I drank as much water as I could without puking.

Hydrate on the bike. Train more. Come out of the gate at a realistic pace. I need sto stick around 12:00 pace for an event like this. 15:00 is a real disappointment.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Claudie for 27 minutes and laid down under a tree. I drank a lot of water, but could not find any food and it was another 40 minutes beofre I got something in the stomach. I was totally drained. I was very happy to have my finishers medal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, hydration during the race, training.

Event comments:

This was by far the best multisport event i have been involved in my short tri career. The event was organized, on-time, and well-run. I would have never known that they had 4300+ entrants in this place at once.

I really enjoyed meeitng the BTers at Marinos and seeing everyone on the course. This group of people truly embody what triathalon is all about. I am always anxious going into a race, not because the race itself, but I feel like a sore thumb at these things because of my weight. When I am around the other BTers, that all goes away - We help each other change our lives for the better and encourage each other to continue when it seems too hard. AND we really had a great time together on Sat nite! Thanks to everyone on Sat nite and to Rob and Eddie race day!!.

My reslove to get better has been redoubled.

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:07 | 1500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 79/98
Overall: 0/3451
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course. The water was nice and flat and i did not notice fighting any current. Very nice conditions in the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:18 | 24.85 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/98
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:35:01 | 06.21 miles | 15m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 93/98
Performance: Bad
Course: Beautiful run course with a lot of shade and tons of support. Lots of people cheering from the neighborhood - some with hoses.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 12:47 PM
in reply to: #783619

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Saw you across the room at Marino's but didn't get a chance to say hi.

Glad you had a good race!  This site is the bomb.  Hope to see you at another race soon! 

2007-05-01 1:29 PM

, Alabama

great meeting you at Marino's, Owen.  Glad you had such a nice experience.  See ya next year??

Sharon

2007-05-01 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great race!  BT is really awesome!

I'm not surprised Rob was cracking jokes in the starting corral.  He's a funny guy.

Way to stick out the run even though you were hurting!  Yeah, proper bike pacing and nutrition is KEY to the run...

2007-05-01 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Owen, nice job on the race.  You kicked it on the bike.  With time you will improve the other aspects of your race.  And the weight loss will come with more training.  And yes, it is a lot easier to be faster when you are lighter.  Been there done that.  Nice meeting you and hope to see you at another race.
2007-05-01 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
CONGRATULATIONS!!! It was awesome to see you and Claudie again and you kicked some serious butt!!   Looking forward to racing with ya'll again soon!!

2007-05-01 5:23 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice to meet you this weekend...great race!

You did super....nice swim split..wow I'd like to swim that fast, kicked it up on the bike, and well the run was tough for all of us. You looked good when I saw you.

You are doing something brave and impressive by changing your life in a huge way. Don't let others make your accomplishment anything less than it is...stellar. Imagine a year ago, could you have done this? Nope...you are changing the outside of you and also the inside which often is harder to do.

I was so glad you came up to me and shared your story at Marinos....we have a kinship and can't wait for us both to finish this journey....

You did something brave and hard and show the true spirit of a triathlete...overcoming and challenging themselves.....awesome! Your rock (even if you are a Yankee fan LOL)

(P4190514-1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
P4190514-1.JPG (66KB - 58 downloads)
2007-05-01 8:21 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

O, fantastic race, and even better meeting you both at dinner and the outspokin tent.  You did manhandle the bike, too...that's an impressive ride.  On an impressive ride.  Lots to be sooooper happy with there.  

'Tain't nothing like a big ol group of folks just kicking it for the weekend.  It's the party that never ends, and everyone's invited.   We'll see ya next year, if not sooner.

2007-05-01 8:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations on a great race. I'm sorry I missed out on meeting you and the other BT folks down there. Good luck with your other races this year... hopefully you get the race where you nail nutrition on the bike and have an awesome run!
2007-05-01 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Owen, that's a great race!  Hauling bike split, and your swim wasn't too shabby either!  You looked good out there when I saw you, too.  I can tell you've dropped quite a bit more weight even since the sprint race last year in Clermont.   Great seeing you and Claudie again.    
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed