Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-01 1:04 PM

User image

Regular
Denton TX.
Subject: Running and HR zone???
Taking an LSD run of 12 miles for example. Which of the following would be more
beneficial, or do they both have the same benefit:

If I were to start at a pace where I am at low to mid Zone 1, by the end of the run, my
HR would be low to mid Zone 2

or

Start at a pace that will get my HR low to mid Zone 2, by the end of the run , HR
would be at or just below Zone 3.

(Assuming both runs done with a negative or even split)

2007-05-01 1:19 PM
in reply to: #783668

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Running and HR zone???
If your goal is strictly to get the maximum training benefit, then doing more work will provide more benefit--option B.  But option B is more taxing too.  So you have to decide how much impact that extra work will have on future workouts.  In the long-term, option A may could be best if it means you won't need extra rest and end up having to skip some other workouts to recover.
2007-05-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: #783701

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

JohnnyKay - 2007-05-01 11:19 AM If your goal is strictly to get the maximum training benefit, then doing more work will provide more benefit--option B. But option B is more taxing too. So you have to decide how much impact that extra work will have on future workouts. In the long-term, option A may could be best if it means you won't need extra rest and end up having to skip some other workouts to recover.

I've been thinking about that lately too.  What I was told:

Zone 1: lots of base benefit, very low injury risk

Zone 2: still lots of base benefit, slightly more injury risk

Zone 3: some base benefit, much higher risk of injury

Zone 4: not much base benefit, significantly higher risk of injury

Zone 5: very little base benefit, very high injury risk

Personally, I try to stay in Z1 for my LSD runs (can't remember the last one, sadly), with a little HR creep into low-Z2.  I leave Z4-5 for speed work.  I avoid Z3 as much as possible. 

2007-05-01 2:12 PM
in reply to: #783779

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
madkat - 2007-05-01 1:46 PM

JohnnyKay - 2007-05-01 11:19 AM If your goal is strictly to get the maximum training benefit, then doing more work will provide more benefit--option B. But option B is more taxing too. So you have to decide how much impact that extra work will have on future workouts. In the long-term, option A may could be best if it means you won't need extra rest and end up having to skip some other workouts to recover.

I've been thinking about that lately too.  What I was told:

Zone 1: lots of base benefit, very low injury risk

Zone 2: still lots of base benefit, slightly more injury risk

Zone 3: some base benefit, much higher risk of injury

Zone 4: not much base benefit, significantly higher risk of injury

Zone 5: very little base benefit, very high injury risk

Personally, I try to stay in Z1 for my LSD runs (can't remember the last one, sadly), with a little HR creep into low-Z2.  I leave Z4-5 for speed work.  I avoid Z3 as much as possible. 

I guess I'd mostly agree with that breakdown, though not without some qualification on the benefit side. 

Injury risk definately goes up with intensity and you should have a good base developed before doing much of that at all. 

There are greater training benefits at the higher intensities, but it's hard to do as much of it without risking injury or requiring more recovery.  So base building is best kept to intensity levels that minimize injury and recovery.  Doing this minimizes downtime needed, which means you will be able to do more work over time. 

For most people (especially beginners), that means lots of z1/2.  As you build base, you can add in more z3/4 "tempo" running to get the added training benefits.  The base you've built reduces the injury risk and the recovery needed from these efforts.

2007-05-01 4:48 PM
in reply to: #783668

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-01 5:17 PM
in reply to: #783829

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
JohnnyKay - 2007-05-01 12:12 PM

I guess I'd mostly agree with that breakdown, though not without some qualification on the benefit side.

Injury risk definately goes up with intensity and you should have a good base developed before doing much of that at all.

There are greater training benefits at the higher intensities, but it's hard to do as much of it without risking injury or requiring more recovery. So base building is best kept to intensity levels that minimize injury and recovery. Doing this minimizes downtime needed, which means you will be able to do more work over time.

For most people (especially beginners), that means lots of z1/2. As you build base, you can add in more z3/4 "tempo" running to get the added training benefits. The base you've built reduces the injury risk and the recovery needed from these efforts.

Yeah, I didn't really mention tempo runs, just to keep it simple.

Edited by madkat 2007-05-01 5:18 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running and HR zone??? Rss Feed