St. Anthony's Triathlon
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 32s
Overall Rank = 1172/4000+
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 23/156
Pre-race routine:

My experiences at the expo on Saturday left me feeling very anti-racing... I almost walked away from the expo without ever dropping off my bike. I did finally manage to control my emotions and decided to leave my children unattended long enough to rack my bike. My youngest was up all night on Saturday so between short bursts of sleeping and lots of awake time, I began to actually visualize my race and when I got out of bed in the a.m. I had more of a racing mindset, but was so sleep deprived, I was wondering how I would actually race. I left my brother's house in Brandon without breakfast and was stuck eating a couple of cereal bars (yuck) on the 45 minute drive to the race site. I got to the race site, unloaded my gear from the car and walked to transition. I got impatient with the body marking line but managed to keep my cool. I was setting up transition and met up with Felix and totally got lost in conversation and the atmosphere of the race. I found a couple of other NAMCers in transition and we started towards the beach.
Event warmup:

Walking from the T-Zone to the chip line... what a mess that was. Finally got my chip and found the rest of the women and late starting men in the club and met up with benton4. I stayed busy talking to everyone that nerves didn't hit me until I started looking at the swimmers and bouys. Benton4 and I went in the water only long enough to pee (gross, I know, but I wasn't about to stand in the port-a-potty line), so never had a real warm-up.
Swim
  • 30m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have been swimming a lot since this race last year, but haven't noticed a big increase in speed yet. I really wasn't sure what to expect with the swim. I started farther back in the wave than usual, and ran farther into the water than usual. Once I started swimming, I just swam. I hugged the buoy line the entire swim and don't think I got as off course as I have in past events. The lack of waves was a huge surprise to me after last year. I actually forgot I was swimming in a salt water bay. I remember being in the water and thinking, maybe I should be swimming faster, but I never looked at my watch so I had no idea how long I'd been swimming. I felt a little tired at the end and know I lost a few seconds as I started getting sloppy as I came in to the stairs, but overall I feel like I managed the swim well and was happy with my ability to swim so close to the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try a wetsuit. I'm not sure if I would have been able to lower my time a bit with a suit. The water was very comfortable to swim in, but with so many others in wetsuits, I wonder if I'm at any disadvantage. I have made huge strides with my stroke, now I need to start figuring out how to add speed to that great stroke I've developed. Learn how to draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I had a long run into transition and felt like I did good coming out of the water and getting to my spot. I fumbled slightly with trying to get my shoes on but overall was very happy with my T time given my bike rack placement.

Not much. I don't have the confidence in my bike handling skills to attempt to put my shoes on while riding so I can't think of much to change here.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

My lack of focus setting up my T-Zone left me without a bike computer, but it didn't hinder my race at all. I just went out and rode as hard as I could and tried to avoid drafting. I was chasing Courtney at the beginning of the ride, so I had some incentive there and was trying to ride fast. I managed to pass a few others I recognized which was a boost for me. I drank one aero full of electrolytes and wanted to replenish my aero bottle but didn't want to waste time. Thankfully one aero full of electrolytes seemed to be enough. I GUed early in the ride and felt like I did good on my nutrition. I took the corners a bit more aggressively than I did on the course last year, but still feel like I need to learn better bike handling skills. I got swallowed by a pack of cyclists late in the ride and when I couldn't convince them to break up and follow the no drafting rule, I started overtaking them again. There was a course marshal watching the whole thing and I was worried I was getting a drafting penalty but was happy when I saw the results and wasn't charged.

Just continue to ride more and try to add some hill repeats so I can gain strength on the bike. My goal was to at least match last year's bike split. I was worried that I wasn't as strong as I was last year, so I didn't set a high bar for myself... Apparently, I should have had a bigger goal because I beat last year's time by about 4 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Again, I had a long run to my rack, but I think I managed it well. I fumbled slightly getting off my bike at the dismount line, but was happy with this transition.

Learn to get my feet out of my shoes while still on the bike.
Run
  • 49m 51s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Running still is my strongest sport. After a middle of the pack ranking in the swim, I was the 16th fastest in my age group on the run. Again, I hadn't set an extremely lofty goal for myself on the run and wanted to be under 50 minutes (barely but I did) and have an 8 minute average pace (didn't quite make that). I started the run and clocked a 7:42 first mile and told myself I should slow down and stick to my 8 minute pace plan. I got a bit hot on the run but managed that well with throwing water on my head at the water stops. I had a bit of an upset stomach on the run, so I was only taking in small doses of gatorade and water, but feel I hydrating adequately on the run. I had an extremely slow Mile 5 and even recognized how much slower my pace was before I looked at my split. I talked myself into picking up the pace again and tried to reach my goal, but the heat and tiredness had me just shy of the 8 minute pace.

Not slow myself after the first mile and just run as fast as I can the entire way. Avoid the negative thoughts about hot weather and realize I can keep a 7:something pace even in an Olympic distance triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish area and enjoyed the cold towel I was given. Drank a couple of waters and met up with the NAMC crew. When I was getting ready to head back to transition I had some pain and numbness in my arches and was worried that I was going to suffer with an injury but I think I'm ok and ready to start running again but now know I need some new shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was tired and emotional going into the race, but don't think it limited my performance at all. I beat my goal of beating last year's time by about 20 minutes, so overall the race was a great start to my season and a big boost heading into my next race.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the actual race a lot, but was frustrated with the expo layout. The distance between the packet pick-up area and the bike drop-off seemed so far. Under normal conditions, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind to care about the distance but I was trying to keep two young children with me and cool in the hot sun, so the set-up and lack of help and support from the race volunteers really hit me the wrong way. It is hard to avoid drafting and position violations on the bike course with so many athletes out there at once, but I enjoyed the course a lot.

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:45 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 78/156
Overall: 0/4000+
Performance: Good
Suit: NAMC tri top and tri shorts
Course: Kind of triangular.. straight out to a turn buoy, then a left turn and headed in a slightly outward angle, then another left turn buoy, then headed into the exit point.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:40 | 24.85 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/156
Wind: Some
Course: Technical course with lots of curves and turns and some speed bumps, but very flat. "Oh no, not the bumps."
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:51 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/156
Mile 1: 7:42 Mile 2: 8:04 Mile 3: 8:04 Mile 4: 8:04 Mile 5: 8:18 Mile 6: 8:02 0.2: 1:39
Course: Flat out and back course with only small doses of shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 1:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 1:38 PM
in reply to: #783711

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great job, Leslie!  You had a really good race!  Beating last year's time by 20 minutes - that's huge!!  You're going to kick some serious butt this season
2007-05-01 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Awesome race Les. You killed it. Hopefully you blew away any goal that you had, and any ideas that you can't race anymore. The great thing is, nobody knows your limits yet, not even you. You will have a great season and should continue to gain speed and confidence... a very dangerous mix... for your competition. Great job out there.
2007-05-01 2:35 PM

User image

Lawrenceville, GA
Congrats on your improvements over last year - especially given your pre-race "woes."  Also, I know that the ladies' waves started much later than mine; therefore, the run was hotter for y'all than it was for me.  Great job.
2007-05-01 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Awesome race leslie! looks like you nailed everything. I bet you passed lots of people on the bike and run . Great way to start the season!
2007-05-01 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Awesome job! You are one speedy woman! I'm impressed you were able to keep running that fast even with the heat and humidity. We haven't had much of that so far this year so everyone who wasn't from Florida was definitely at a disadvantage.

2007-05-01 5:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Amazing improvement 20 minutes in an Int'l distance race in a year...very impressive!

Great job all the way through and seems you beat your goal times everywhere and you are fast in transitions too!

You rocked the course!

Yep lots of walking around from transition to expo to swim start...same for those watching all of us.

Congrats! 

2007-05-02 7:28 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
You had a great race; you guys are nuts for bringing your kids but I really wished mine were there at the finish! And remember that it's the night before the night before the race that matters most with sleep. Everyone's nervous the night before a race, and at that point, if you've trained well, it's all mental anyway. Your mental toughness and training all paid off!

A wetsuit will absolutely improve your time. Technically, I had a horrible swim. I stopped and started numerous times, ran into many people, literally kicked about five times, and never got a groove going ever...and yet my pace was much faster than I thought it would be. Get a wetsuit and I would predict you would cut a couple of minutes off your swim time minimum. Yes, you might add a minute in transition for the suit, but stil...

great race!
2007-05-02 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Awesome race Leslie.  That was a very impressive performance!!!!
2007-05-02 8:48 AM

, Alabama

REALLY great race.  20-minute improvement.  THAT's nothing to sneeze at!  Although our kids are now old enough to take care of themselves, I feel your pain about trying to navigate with little ones!

Just think...at this rate, maybe next year you'll have another 20-minute improvement!

Sharon

2007-05-02 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great race Leslie! Once you nail down that swim you are going to be dangerous.

2007-05-02 11:02 AM

User image

All i can say is WOW. You almost nailed your olympic dream race goal....time to make it harder Great job out there leslie--u made us all proud back in the ATL!
2007-05-02 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Nice race, Leslie - you absolutely rocked on the bike and run and your swim wasn't shabby by any means.

Great job!!

2007-05-02 2:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Wow, what a great race! You did a fabulous job cutting down 20 min. from last year.  Way to go and I am sure that you are going to have a great season ahead. 

I agree, it was a bit far from the expo to the bike drop-off.  You made a good point .

2007-05-03 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Awesome job, Leslie! I'm glad you didn't let the expo get to you - and knocked 20 min. off last year's time? That's incredible! Here's to a great season!
2007-05-03 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

You are a FAST runner!  Wow!  SPEEDY SPEEDY!

GREAT race! I'm glad you're not in my AG!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed