75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 56m 43s
Overall Rank = 2017/3450
Age Group = Clydes Under-39
Age Group Rank = 53/98
Pre-race routine:

Friday:
Got to the B&B Friday afternoon and walked to packet pickup (3 blocks) and do a little shopping: new shoes, some gels, and tinted speedo goggles.
Went to meet up with everyone at Wet Willies. Chatted with Frank first and he is a really great guy. Then the hoardes started to show up and we went for our adventure in dining. Jeff, the fearless leader, led us on a trek to be turned away from one restaurant. Back at Baywalk, we scattered and I ended up with Ovetta, Jen, and Sue at Gratzzi.
After dinner, it was back to Wet Willies for a night cap.

Saturday (morning):
Woke up early to go see the Meek & Mighty tris. Those were awesome seeing the adults, and then the kids, doing races. Plus, I overheard a lot of people commit to doing it next year.
Hung out in the bleachers with Rick and Chris, just relaxing and enjoying the other races.

Saturday (the worst pre-race experience):
After that, Sue and I headed for TooJays to get something to eat before doing some OWS practice. My stomach was a little 'off' at this point, but I figured some lunch would help.

After a nice 20' swim, it was all downhill for the next 12 hours.

We got back to the B&B and I just felt wrong. I went bolting for the bathroom for round one of puking. Normally, I puke, recover, and feel better. Not today.

After lying down for a half-hour hoping I would feel better, Sue and I took the bikes out for a ride and then to check them in. That had to the be most dis-heartening 6 mile ride of my life. I had absolutely no power in my legs and Sue was riding away from me like I was sitting still.
We got done with the ride and went to rack our bikes in transition. After 1 false alarm, I got close to the transition entrance and vomited twice more straight into a trash can. Then, once inside, I vomited twice MORE. The only reason I didn't keep puking was because my body literally had nothing left to throw up.
I racked the bike and sat down in the shade while Sue picked up some water and a couple of popsicles from the ice cream truck. While I was sitting there, I called my coach. I wanted to tell him what was going on, and couldn't get it out before I started to cry. He was very supportive and told me to just try and drink something and make the decision in the morning.
I can't even begin to explain how great Sue is. She went all the way home (45 min each way) to pick up her med kit with fluids in it for me, which meant that she wasn't able to go to the BT dinner.
When she got back, she took 5 shots at sticking me and just couldn't get it in a vein; I was THAT dehydrated. Foolproof's BF is a paramedic and they were staying in the same B&B. So, when they got back, he came over and tried to stick a vein. He gave up after 4 tries when Sue ran out of needles. I was so weak, I just wanted fluids.
Sue had stopped at the store while she was out and brought back gatorade and Ginger Ale. Over the next 5 hours, I drank about a liter of GingerAle, and a couple of bottles of water.

Sunday:
At 1am, I woke up STARVING, but knew that my stomach wouldn't really take any solid food, so I had a couple of pop-tarts.
At 4:30, the alarm went off and we got up. Laying there, thinking about it, I realized that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't, at least, toe the line. No matter what else happened, I would know that I gave it a shot.

We walked to transition around 5am, got body marked, set up transition, and walked back to the B&B for breakfast. I endured a banana, and Sue mixed me up some Gatorade and Nuun to try and boost the electrolytes for the race.

Donned the wetsuit and walked to the beach! It was 'Go Time'!
Event warmup:

Wandered the beach. Pee'd in the bay. Warms up the legs, at least. :)
Swim
  • 29m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I moved to the middle of the pack of Clydes on the beach and just tried to keep breathing steadily. I kept looking at the clock, counting it down, and thinking to myself that if I could see that clock again with anything less than 4:10 (I went off at 1:10) on it, would be a miracle.

The horn sounded and I jogged into the water. For the first 250m, there was a lot of smacky-smacky going on with the other racers. I specifically delayed my stroke pull to keep a guard in front of me in case of any stray kicks.

Once I got some clear water, I settled into a 3-stroke breathing rythym and settled in.

This was, by far, the most comfortable swim I've ever done. Sighting was solid and breathing was easy.

Coming up the steps out of the water, I knew that I was going to continue. The stomach felt solid and the legs were not wobbly.
What would you do differently?:

More threshold swim training
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Ran through the squishy mud into transition; stripping off the top of the suit, cap, and goggles. Got to my spot, wiped the feet on the towel, put on socks, helmet, and glasses, and grabbed the bike.

I wasn't in the mood to run out of transition, so I took an easy jog to the mount line.

Maybe test no socks on the bike
Bike
  • 1h 12m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race on the new P2C, and the first time that I've mounted the bike with the shoes already clipped in. I had been practicing getting my feet in the shoes, but nothing is the same on race day. I had to reach down 2-3 times on each foot to tighten up the straps.

I got into a comfortable cadence and got down to business. Because of the feeling from the day before, I really had no expectations of how I would feel on the bike. I also was not keeping a check on my speed, I had it set to watch my HR, instead, since that is what my coach wanted me to focus on.

I passed people consistently throughout the bike course, but got passed a couple of times myself. Once or twice, I had to think to myself 'Let them go' when I wanted to push to reel someone in.

As I passed the 5, 10, 15, and 20 mile marks, I was checking my time and saw that I was a little ahead of a 1:15 pace (20mph). How that was possible, I had no idea.

Rolling back into transition, I checked my watch. 1:12. WTF?!

Water down the eFuel a little more. 1 eFuel per Aerobottle is too strong. Need to cut it by ~1/3.

I would love to see what I could do with some more training and a disc wheel. Next year, I may make this an 'A' race and blow it out.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

The funny part is, I was so obsessed about getting back to T2 before 1:15, that I forgot to take my feet out of my shoes before the dismount line. So i had to unclip and run into T2 with my shoes on.

Got the running shoes on, and headed out to run.

Leaving T2, I checked the clock. 75 minutes to a 3 hour finish. Actually do-able (on a good day).

Remember to take my feet out of my shoes before returning to transition.
Run
  • 1h 10m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race with the expectation of doing a 4/1 run/walk strategy, per my coach. That lasted for about 2.5 miles, but I also walked the water stations. I wasn't able to stomach the thought of taking anything flavored in my mouth on the run, so I simply stuck to water and decided to gut it out on whatever glycogen might be left in my system.

I saw Marmadaddy as he was finishing up, and he looked strong.

After 2.5 miles, 4/1 turned into 3/1 plus WS. At the turnaround, I saw it had taken 34 minutes. That gave me a 7 minute cushion on the way back.

Soon after the turnaround, I came up on Mike (G8RLA94) and checked on him. He was having some problems, so I wished him luck and started to jog again.

In the first couple of miles, I walked with a nice guy from TNT who was having quad problems and I told him about my stomach problems. I didn't know what had happened to him when I had started jogging again, but he came up on me at mile 4. He asked how I was feeling and offered me some water from his bottle. We walk/ran until we were across the bridge when he continued on as I stopped to work out a stitch in my stomach.

Coming down the final straight was SOO hot and SOOO long. I just kept counting down the time to break 3 hours. As I saw the mile 6 marker in the distance, I picked up the pace. I was not going to give up my dream of 3 hours at this point.

The finish line was a blur. I knew there were people there. I knew they were cheering. I remember hearing my name. But, mostly, I remember:

2:56:43!

Nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

I wasn't expecting the ice-cold towel, so when she threw it over my shoulders, I was quite shocked. But SOOO relieved.

Grabbed some water and wandered around, dazed. I didn't know where to go or what to do. I certainly wasn't hungry. I didn't want to stand around to wait for a massage.

Luckily I found the beacon of welcome amongst the palms: A Brilliant White Sign Emblazoned 'BeginnerTriathlete.com' :)

So I staggered over there and hung out for a while.

After Sue finished, we walked back to the B&B, took showers, went back to pick up our bikes, and hung out a little more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Projectile vomiting 12 hours before the race.

Event comments:

This race weekend was such a great time for me (minus a certain 12 hour stretch).

I met so many wonderful people and was surprised at how many were concerned about my condition. It just goes to show the caliber of people that are members of this site.

I have made it a point to come back again next year, not make the same mistakes of illness, let it all hang out, and really see what I can do on this course.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/98
Overall: 0/3450
Performance: Good
Suit: QR SuperFull
Course: 'U'-shaped, roughly 500m per side
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:29 | 24.85 miles | 20.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 37/98
Wind: Little
Course: Technical with a few out and back stretches
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:10:35 | 06.21 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 65/98
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through residential areas
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-01 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-01 6:14 PM
in reply to: #784323

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Shaun....amazing race even more so given the stomach issues you had Saturday into Sunday morning.

Great job swimming very cool it felt like your best swim ever...setting you up for an excellant IMMOO!

Killer bike time...I too was chasing that 1:15 time split and cried when I realized it made it....just think on your 2PC healthy what you can unleash...it will be awesome!

Great run given all you were going thru...way to gut it out and make sub 3.

Great to get to know you the last week; a well executed race made more impressive with what you were going thru and some good smarts staying in tune with your body making sure you were okay before continuing.

Congrats...you! 

2007-05-01 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on a kick butt race Shaun!! I'm so freaking amazed that you pulled a sub 3 outta the bag after a puke fest the day before!! Rock on my brotha!!
2007-05-01 6:44 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Shaun, glad you felt good enough to race Sunday morning.  It sucks being sick in general, but the day before a race.  It was nice to meet you this weekend.  Hope to see you at a future race.
2007-05-01 6:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race I think that qualifies you for ironman status now
2007-05-01 6:49 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by SweetK 2007-05-01 6:49 PM

2007-05-01 6:50 PM

Master
Red Sox Nation

Shaun, so great to finally meet you!

Felt so bad for you on Saturday but glad you were able to PR despite all the mucking about by various medical professionals.

GOOD SHOW!  You are going to have such a great IronMan experience! 

Look forward to seeing you again soon! 

2007-05-01 7:42 PM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

gosh, that was a great race considering!! 

I saw you as ya'll were rolling into bike check in and my first thought was "he don't look so good...."

Glad you got better!  And met your goal to boot! 

2007-05-01 8:04 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Dude...I thought you liked the slappity-slap.  Oh wait, different thread.  My bad.

Congrats on a phenomenal effort given the previous 12 hour glitch.  I'm amazed you pulled off the performance you did, and glad that your inaugural race ride on the P2C was all that and a bag of maalox.

Yeah, I'll be there next year with ya.  As an announcer or participant, one or the other.

2007-05-01 8:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I can't believe you didn't throw in the towel on Saturday when you were throwing up for twelve hours. I'm sure glad you weren't racking your bike while I was in the area. congrats on a great race. You did awesome.
2007-05-02 12:43 AM
in reply to: #784511

Champion

1111 - 2007-05-01 9:15 PM I can't believe you didn't throw in the towel on Saturday when you were throwing up for twelve hours. I'm sure glad you weren't racking your bike while I was in the area. congrats on a great race. You did awesome.

I can only imagine what was running through the heads of some of the novices in line behind me at bike check-in when they saw me go head first into the trash can, and then again once I got into transition.

To see someone experienced puking like that would have certainly unnerved me if it was my first race. 

2007-05-02 8:02 AM

Master
Boston

That's amazing you had the drive to want to go out there and do this race despite your feeling like absolute crap. I don't know that I would have been strong enough! AND - you pulled off a great performance despite all that! Big high five! And a high five for Nurse Sue.

Sorry I didn't get to officially meet you, but I'm sure we'll see ya at another race soon. Hope you are feeling better now!

2007-05-02 9:41 AM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
What a great RR Shaun!!  How awesome are you!?  Totally sick needing an IV on one day and then a HUGE PR in a great race the next.  Way to go!!!
2007-05-03 10:02 AM

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
PopTarts must be the new breakfast of champions!  Dude - for what you went through, you have one hell of a race.  Both mentally and physically!  You rock.  Great seeing you again - in FL this time.  Looking forward to doing it again!
2007-05-03 10:45 AM

Master
Colorado
WOW!!! That is pretty freaking amazing. VERY proud of you for both starting and finishing when you were sure it wouldn't be your best effort. AWESOME!
2007-05-03 12:40 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congrats!  GREAT race!  Even greater considering the puke fest the day before.  You ROCK!

Did you ever figure out why you were sick?  Was it food poisoning?

2007-05-05 5:45 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Shaun!! Awesome race, especially considering the day you had before. For next time, equal parts pepsi, gatorade and gingerale (about 2 quarts total) is what brings me around from a bad case of heat sickness/stroke. Very cool to finally meet you. Again, congratulations on a great sub 3!

-Frank
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed