United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 50s
Overall Rank = 98/383
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/25
Pre-race routine:

Drive a few miles from redlands. Throw my crap in the mini-van (world's greatest tri-mobile. Forget to bring my accelerade. Eat a Cliff bar.Sign-up for race. Crap my guts out per usual routine.
Event warmup:

Do some jogging and stretch. Minimal

I was very nervous that I would need to pull out of the race because my achilles was strained, and I hadn't been able to complete a run, let alone a race, for a month I would estimate.
Swim
  • 03m
  • 150 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

It always blows me away in these reverse tris that I pass people in the pool, because I stink at swimming. I think having the swim as the last event throws a lot of people off.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Reverse Tri-This was run to bike. I didn't have my racing laces in my shoes because they are newer, and I figured I would be able to kick my shoes off. Nope. I had to wrestle my shoes off which slowed me down significantly.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt strong on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

reverse tri: bike to swim then run to pool. As I was getting into the pool I had to tell the guy next to me to take off his socks. I guess he was pretty tired.
Run
  • 17m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a simple out and back course. The Run was first as it was a reverse tri. There were a lot of pros in the race. I've been injured, and I haven't been able to complete a run for about a month so I was very worried about finishing. I had strained my chronically messed up achilles while skiing. I felt like I was running ok, but I was stunned when the pros were returning on the course when I estimated that I was at maybe the 1.2 mile mark. By my estimates I must be running about 2-3 minutes slow per mile, for the pros to be doubling back on me already. Then it became clear. The turn around was set improperly. I think it was at about 1.25 miles instead of 1.55. Therefore the total run was about 2.5 miles instead of 3.1. So . . . don't be too impressed with my time. I figure I ran about 7:15 miles not sub 6:00. Not bad though considering my physical ailments.
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured.
Post race
Warm down:

throw on some sweats. Wander a bit. I should have streched, warmed down. Its Wednesday and I'm still hurting from the effort. I need to take better care of my fragile legs (tendons).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury-- limited training hours.

Event comments:

Ok. This is a great, fun race, and the $$ go to a good cause: helping the disabled partipate in sports such as triathlons. However, how can you mismark the turnaround for the run? No real excuse for that. Also, many beginners. The staff needs to explain staying right while biking to partipants, especially on a multi-loop course with lots of lapping. Its a bit dangerous. Anyway, I'll be back many more times I'm sure.

Last updated: 2007-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:00 | 150 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/383
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: six lap, snake through the pool. This was the third event.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:00 | 10.5 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
time is an estimate. Also my computer indicated more like 11 miles.
Wind:
Course: 3 lap course. long strech of flat with a good down hill, turn-around and then back up-hill. The up hill was medium steepness I was doing a fair amount of climbing out of the saddle. Course was crowded. STAY RIGHT PEOPLE. The pros were riding outside of the course to avoid accidents. I suppose technically it was against the rules, but I'm guessing some accidents were prevented: good call.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:51 | 03.11 miles | 05m 44s  min/mile
Course: Skinny start, with lots of jockeying for position. Out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes