General Discussion Race Reports! » The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mexico Beach, Florida
United States
Good Time Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 33s
Overall Rank = 62/71
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up a little late so no time for oatmeal. Had a couple of granola bars on the way. Picked up my race packet and got marked.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50 yards. Don't think that was enough. Maybe I should jog for about 10 minutes next time.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 704 yards
  • 04m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a crappy swim! It took me until the home stretch to relax and get into the groove. Never felt comfortable and kept sucking in water. At least I mostly went in a straight line this time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

Still not very comfortable jumping on or off the bike. I don't trust my footing in those shoes. Part of that transistion is running up the beach and into the transistion area.
What would you do differently?:

My jersey got stuck when I tried to put it on. Look into getting a tri shirt for next event.
Bike
  • 52m 38s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a bad bike. Had a few cramps on the way out but I was able to pedal through them. The hill was tough to climb and took more out of me than I would have liked but 30mph on the downside was a lot of fun.

Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I don't jump off my bike in these shoes yet. Tried it once and it didn't turn out good.
What would you do differently?:

Good transition. Can't see what I would want to do any different.
Run
  • 35m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping for a little closer to 31 minutes, but I ran the whole time except for when I was getting a drink. I still usually suck in the water and choke when I drink and run. I'm happy I didn't have to walk at all during the rest of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. We had to get in the van really quick so we could get home and get ready for the birthday party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training especially in the swim. That put me behind (both in my standings and overall energy). This will be the summer of sweat for me.

Event comments:

I am overall happy to finish, but disappointed my time was worse than last year. I know the swim was longer, but I don't think it justifies 6 extra minutes of swimtime. Even if it did, that would only prove I've gone nowhere in one year. I'm going to do an oly in the fall. I must get a better time over last year.

My HRM crapped the bed on me. It would sometimes show a HR I could believe, and then sometimes give me 80 BPM - which looks like 1/2 the correct number. Unfortunately, it wasn't consistent so I can't double the
average it gave me to get the right answer.

As far as the race evaluation. What's up with no chips? We had them last year for both races. Luckily I hit the lap button on my HRM to get transistion times. Otherwise I'd have no idea.

And they learned nothing from last year about the swim course. Instead of publishing the course in advance, they try to tell us on the loudspeaker right before start. Luckily we can all just follow the crowd. Seems like there were more water stations this year, though.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 704 yards | 04m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 64/71
Performance: Bad
Suit: Zoot Tri suit
Course: Clockwise triangle in the Gulf of Mexico.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:38 | 15 miles | 17.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 47/71
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back North on HWY 98 then on CR 368. Hill about 1/2 mile from sprint turn around.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:19 | 03.1 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 68/71
Performance: Good
Course: HWY 98 Eastbound and then through some residential neighborhoods. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-03 7:42 AM

User image

, Tokyo
Subject: The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint

2007-05-04 1:17 AM
in reply to: #786669

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint
Congrat Frodo! I was there too and did the Olympic race. I was kind of disappointed because this was my first olympic and I wanted to use it to compare to the next one, however the swim was way off. I think giving yourself 6 minutes is fair. I expected to do a lot better when I looked at my watch after the swim and seen 40 minutes, however I placed 17/74 in the swim and I came out in a group of about 6 and some were just before me. People said that the Olympic was at least over a mile. I also didnt like the fact there were no chips. This became an issue when they were handing out award because they forgot to clock some people in. A lot of people just starting leaving during the awards because things were so messed up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Beach Blast Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed