Sullivan Civic Center
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 4s
Overall Rank = 36/240
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

Since I live very close to the triathlon, and it didn't start until 12:30, I had pancake breakfast with the family. Then I cleaned and lubed my bike, practiced my transitions for the first time this year, and dropped off my bike at T1. I picked up my race bag and jumped in the pool for a quick swim. I was planning on swimming right before the race, but the pool was so inviting I just had to jump in. Then I jogged bake home (2 blocks) and took a quick shower. I drank my second pot (small pot) of coffee and had a bagel then laid down for a quick recharge at 11:30. I was surprised to find that I couldn't settle down and my heart was pounding. I got up and collected my last few things and walked out the back door, through the gate, and onto the run course. I walked over to the pool and got there just in time for the pre-race instructions.
Event warmup:

Pretty much as above. Practicing transitions, riding my bike to transition, and jogging and walking back and forth to the Civic Center.
Swim
  • 07m 33s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a very good swim for me. I felt great and relaxed the whole time. I even sprinted at the end of the race to try to beat someone on the last lap. I passed 4 people and it didn't "freak me out." Last year I had to hold onto the wall and catch my mind - I mean breath.
What would you do differently?:

I should have seeded myself at a faster time. I probably could have cut another 10-15 sec off.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

This was a very good transition for me. Last year it was much colder and I did not have a tri suit. Therefore, I had to put on two layers and it took me over two minutes. This year I had a tri suit and a race belt. This made things much quicker. I even left my shoes clipped into my bike, which turned into more of a detriment trying to get them on after transition. When I tried to jump on my bike and put my feet in my shoes I just couldn't do it. It probably costs me a good 30 seconds or more on my bike time.

Practice my transitions and getting my feet into my bike shoes.
Bike
  • 40m 13s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

The last two weeks before the triathlon I only rode a couple of times. The weather has not been good for riding outside so I spent most of my time on the trainer since August of last year. This undoubtedly hurt me in the long run, but since it's early in the season it probably won't be a big deal later.

Get more time on the roads.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Again it was very good for me. I already had my race belt on from T1 so I cut that time out. I did have some issues getting my feet in my socks and shoes, but it only cost me a few seconds.

Practice!
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

It was very hot during the run. The wind that was in the country was non-existent there in the park. Since the temperature at this point was in the low 80s it pretty much zapped my legs. I tried real hard to keep my cadence up and not heel strike. Unfortunately, one of the pictures my wife took of me on the run shows me with almost a straight leg planting my heel into the ground. Looks like I was putting on the brakes. The very last part is on the street so you can get a pretty good end sprint, if it was left in me. I did have some problems trying to get water in. At the beginning of the run was a water station and since I was breathing so hard I essentially had to stop to take a drink of water. The next water station I did the same thing and the last one I just forgot it.

Continued to improve my cadence and stride.
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked around a little bit and got a couple bites to eat and a big bottle of water. I waited for my family to catch-up to me and then I pushed my daughter on the swing and watched my son go down the slide at the park.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, the wind, and not seeding myself earlier in the swim.
I feel pretty good about cutting over five minutes off my time, but I made my biggest time cuts in transition. This is good since last year my transitions were the worst. I need to work a little bit more on my cycling, but this is the year of the running

Event comments:

Overall a very good race. The weather this time year is so inconsistent it is difficult to plan a race strategy for the weather.

I love this race because it's in my hometown, it is right next to my house, and it's so easy for my family to see me race. I look forward to do doing this one for many, many, many years. And really look forward to when my kids can race with me.

Last updated: 2007-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:33 | 402 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 71/240
Performance: Good
Suit: red tri suit
Course: Back and forth in a serpentine fashion in a pool. Swimmers are sent out every 10 sec.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:13 | 13.4 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 47/240
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This is a fairly flat course with one segment of a small hill. Unfortunately, you hit the hill twice and it is against the wind. There is a loop in which you get the benefit of the wind at your back for part of it and a head wind for the other part of the loop. This year the wind may have been slightly less of a factor that last. This was fairly hard to determine since last year this was my first triathlon.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/29
Overall: 38/240
Performance: Average
Course: The run went from the Civic Center through the natural park and then ended in the parking area. Unfortunately, the run through the natural park has a lot of curves to get the full 3.1 miles. This really slows your run down, but the soft surface is easier on the legs. As you enter the park there was a great cheering section. It just happened to be my wife and kids. The cool part of this run is that part of it goes right by my backyard.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-03 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Central Illinois
Subject: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon

2007-05-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: #787246

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon
What the heck? You didn't have to get up at oh-dark-30 and drive? It's right next to your house? Wow - that must have been nice. Sounds like you had a blast - and a big difference from last year in how comfortable you were - awesome!
2007-05-05 12:56 AM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

sounds like you had a GREAT race! and those transitions were pretty face considering the problems you mentioned and not having practiced a lot! Great Job!!

BTW- glad to see that you have your priorities straight ... do your race report before your charting  - I whole heartedly agree

2007-05-07 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Awesome race!  Fast swim.  *I* wouldn't be complaining about 20 mph bike times...and you wrapped it all up with sub-8 run splits.  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon Rss Feed