St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well I woke up around 4am and had my usuall re race breakfast. Two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter. Got dressed and headed to St. Pete.
Event warmup:

I got to parking pretty easily and made my way towards transition. Once I got there and saw the line for body marking and remembered that both ends of transition were open. So I went over to the bike/run out and got in right away. I took my time setting up and made sure I didn't forget anything. Next was a walk along the seawall at the swim exit and downed a Cliff Bar. Finally time to make my way to the swim start. And now I find some Bters. First I met up with Betsy(Betsy), I think this was the second or third time I've been walking right behind her and didn't even know it. Then further along I found Christine(Lucy) with Tom and their kids. Eventually I got down to the sand and tested the water. Now its time to just walk around and wait for my wave......Oh Crap! I forgot my chip! So back up to the street and make my way through the mob to my table. Before I got to the mob I saw Terri(Bunnyrunner). She was smiling from ear to ear, either it was all the excitement of St. A's or because she took 2nd in her AG the day before in Meek and Mighty. Now almost to my chip and I see a BT suit coming out and we introduce ourselves, it was Mike(Marmadaddy)! Ok, got my chip and back to the beach. I watched a few waves go out and hear mine called. Now we're about 2 minutes from the start and I hear a few faint "BT" from behind me. And finally I turned to see a grinning Lisa (Gatorgirl22). Her fiance Barry was in my wave, for his first TRI.
Swim
  • 52m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first few hundred yards I had a very hard time getting my face in the water. Everytime I did it was like I lost my breath immediately. Yeah, I know. I need more OWS. I almost made it to the first turn bouy before stopping. But half way there I took in a lot of water. I was coughing alot and on the verge of leaving my breakfast in the bay. I managed to keep it down and slowly make it to the halfway point. From the fist turn to the second turn I was cramping in both calves and having a hard time breathing. I guess I took it slow enough during that portion to get my breathing undercontrol and let the cramps subside. I made the last turn and managed to keep my face in the water. I was so happy to see the hand rail through the murkiness that my eyes began to water. Then it was an uncomfortable walk up those metal stairs and trying to avoid the what looked like knee high mud on the way to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more! Lots More! And in open water too!
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

I jogged slowly to my rack, which was second from the end near the bike out. I downed some gatorade and quickly got into my socks and shoes. I pulled someone elses wetsuit off of my aeros and grabbe my helmet and sunglasses. And off I went to the mount line.

Nothing, everything in T1 went smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I immediately started pushing it hard. I remember seeing a lot of flats on the cobble stones last year. Before I even made the first turn I heard a loud and deep "BT!". And I have no idea who it was, I looked but couldn't pick out who it was in the mass. Just pass the first turn I saw my mom, wife, and son. That kept a smile on my face until I got around the baseball field. I went to get into my big ring and my chain fell off. After a couple of minutes I was back on the road. I tried about 4 more times with the big ring and got the same result each time. Everytime I put it back on I played with the barrel adjuster and got nowhere. Within the first 5 miles I saw 6 men walking their bikes back torwards transition. I felt bad for them and at the same time thankful that wasn't me. That feeling was to visit me again several times. Upon the 5 mile mark I managed to stay in the aeros and get my bottle to rehydrate, usually I have to sit up to get a drink. For the next 5 miles it was pass a few, then get passed by many more. I got chills when I would hear a disc coming from behind me. Coming into the golf course I was starting to feel bleh. There was no wind and it was flat, but I was still slowing down. D'oh! I haven't taken any Gels. In one smooth motion I grabbed a gel got it open and down with ease. Chased it with some water and within a couple of minutes I felt strong again. I made it to the half way point and was surprised to see the size of Endurance bottles they were passing out. The volunteers for this race were awesome. I didn't think about it until much later, about the time it must have taken to pull the plastic seal off of the cap and pulling the foil seal off from under the cap. Got to remember there were thousands of those bottles. About the time I was finished with it I saw a carbon water bottle cage on the ground. I thought about turning around, but I figured I didn't need anything else to take up more time. And I had nowhere to put it. Between the 10 and 15 mile marks I got a few more BT shouts, and didn't get their names. It was about this time that I tried to stand up to stretch my calves out and then my quads quickly cramped. After the 15 mile mark I started to see some females on the course, so the scenery was getting better. I grabbed another gel with a few miles to go, hoping that it will help me out for the start of the run. I saw 2 photographers on the way out on the bike course and made it a point to remember where they were. I made sure to stay on my aero bars no matter how bad my upper back was feeling. Then it was the final turn towards T2. I spotted my family in the same place as before, and sprinted to the dismount line. I love seeing the wide eyes of volunteers when they don't think I'm going to stop. The computer said 18.3 mph when I leaped off. And at that exact moment my chain came off again. I'm glad it waited for the dismount line.

Get my bike tuned up and get a decent fit.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

My legs were wobbly so I ran half way with my bike then walked a bit so I wouldn't miss my rack. Then it was helmet off, race belt and visor on and I was out of there.

Maybe count the racks a little more closely. Coming in with my bike I wasn't sure how many racks from the left I was supposed to be.
Run
  • 1h 30m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 running, and I knew it wasn't going to last long. My legs were already aching. I grabbed some water at the first station and kept running. I made it to the first mile and saw Marmadaddy coming in looking strong. Ater I got through the first mile I decided to work on an 8:2 run walk and that quickly went down to a 2:2. I came across a family on their front lawn enjoying the race. And a little boy about my son's age decided to run with me, well until his mom grabbed him. Each of the following water stations I grabbed water and gatorade. I saw Betsy before the turn and Christine not long after the turn. I heard a couple of people in cars arguing with sheriffs about trying to get through. The only vehicle I saw them let through was a firetruck. Then I started to see someone almost every .25 mile getting worked on. Eachtime I saw that they were alert. That was somewhat comforting. Then out the corner of my eye I see someone running directly towards me. Trying to ignore the pain in my legs and see through the sweat in my eyes I see at the last second that its Jessica(Tri Take Me Away). She was less than enthusiastic about her race, but I know she just rocked IMAZ with Jeff(Q). With a mile to go I was ready to fall down. My IT band on my right side was not giving up, and this was something new for me. I never had a problem with it before. I made it over the bridge and tossed some water on my sholders, I felt a sunburn making its home there. I got to the mile 6 marker and wasn't sure if my next step was going to be my last. Thats when I leaned forward, bit my bottom lip and absorbed the cheers from the crowd. I started to think about the last mile with Jess at the Disney Half. The crowd seems to take away the pain, and I managed a sprint after the last turn. I spotted my family on my left and concentrated on the finish line with the ice cold blue towels. I heard the announcer say my first name, then a long pause before he butchered my last name. No big deal, I finished and with a pulse. After I got my medal and a water I almost fell down. Two volunteers quickly grabbe my arms and steadied me. They made sure I was ok before letting me go.

Train more!
Post race
Warm down:

I found Tom at the end of the finishers chute and made my way back to where my family was. We passed eachother somewhere and I eventually found them. I saw the long line for food and decided I wasn't that hungry. We made our way to the BT banner and relaxed some. I wanted to stick around and talk to everyone, but after that race I wanted a shower and sleep more. I also planned on getting a free massage, but I wan't waiting that long. I saw the line to get into transition wasn't getting any shorter so I got in line and talked with another guy for a while. Got to my bike and found the same wetsuit laying on my bike. Maybe some one was trying to give me a free wetsuit, but I just put in on the rack.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and out of shape.

Event comments:

This race was organized so well and with pleanty of eager volunteers. I definately want to race this again, and next year my time will be much lower. And I'm going to try to schedule my time better so I can see everyone the day before. I really enjoyed meeting everyone before the race and seeing everyone during the race. I heard so many shouts of BT and I'm sorry I couldn't return most of them on the run. I tried to wave and yell, but I just didn't have it in me. Thank You for all of your support.

I saw a sign on the run that I will never forget: "Your feet are hurting because you've been kicking A$$!!"

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:52:53 | 1640 yards | 03m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
HR was too high for the first half. Couldn't get it down at all.
Suit: None
Course: Out from Spa Beach, past the end of the Pier, turn left towards Vinoy Park, and back to the swim exit.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:41:34 | 24.85 miles | 14.68 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: All around St. Pete. There were so many turns I had no idea where I was at.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:30:08 | 06.21 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
I didn't bother to hit the lap button each mile. I just wanted to finish.
Course: Out along the water and through a very nice neighborhood and back. I could have done without the white bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-04 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2007-05-04 1:37 PM
in reply to: #788607

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Hey Adam!

I think the deep voice you heard on Bike Out was The Most Excellent Jock Strap in the World, my friend Kenny.  He was on the lookout for anyone in BT gear.

Saw you on the run and yelled, you were around 4 and I was at 2.  You were motoring!!!!

Great job pushing through this race.  You did yourself proud!  Hope to see you/race with you again in the future!  Great to finally meet James!  He is just toooo precious! 

2007-05-04 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats on finishing!!! Sounds like you stayed tough and I hope it was fun looking back at the race.
2007-05-04 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Adam Good job buddy!!!  Good to see you out there
2007-05-04 8:15 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

I can't seem to pick up speed near the golf course either.  I think it's a fake hill or something.  

Nice race, man.  You'll do better once you get back at it....

2007-05-07 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl

Thanks everyone, now that I got through my first Oly, MPM in July should be a breeze. That and I'm sticking to my training plan to get a big PR.

I thought I went through all the details of my race but I still forgot to mention my toes going numb on the bike. No matter how I adjusted I couldn't get rid of it for the last half.

2007-05-07 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race!

You had some tough moments and pushed thru with shows the true heart and determination of a triathlete!

I hope the bike issue is fixes so you can use your big chain ring. 

I think I saw you somewhere on the course and I always shouted out to all the BTers I saw. 

Excellant RR..fun to read.

I hope next year you schedule more time to hang out with the BT crew..the FL BT crew is great fun! 

2007-05-07 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Lookin' good my friend!  That was a great read.  I'm so proud of you that you came out and fought the elements!  After being away for so long, you did an awesome job of stickin' it out and finishing a challenging day.  Way to go!!  Time to kick last year's MPM time's a$$!  I'll be there to see ya do it!  Thanks for the IMAZ plug too!   Congrats on an awesome comeback!! Whoop whooooop!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed