United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 68/69
Age Group = F 20-29
Age Group Rank = 19/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up before my alarm went off. Got dressed and had a 1/2 liter of Gatorade for breakfast while surfing the internet. Drove to Sunset Zoo, parked, grabbed my number belt and water bottle. Got to the pavilion inside the zoo, used the facilities and realized I had my glasses on still. Went back to the car and dropped them off. Saw my advisor. He was running the 10K. We talked for a bit. Then came the waiting for the pre-race "meeting" which was essentially "We don't have traffic stopped, so be careful!"

This morning, somehow, my right knee had decided to swell and didn't want to bend very well. So, right away, I threw the goal of running the whole thing out the window. Not worth risking serious injury. I would walk the whole thing if I had to. It was a fairly small group it seemed, but I set myself up towards the back. The air horn sounded and we were off... with the peacocks protesting loudly.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit. Nothing terribly exciting.
Run
  • 41m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I got passed by everyone behind me before we even exited the zoo. It was a blow to the ego, certainly. The BOP biker was right with me. But just kept chugging. I decided that I would go until the first mile marker or my knee felt like it was going to come apart, whichever came first. Hit the first mile marker for a PR of just under 11 min/mile. I know that the downhill definitely helped that! Fell to walking shortly after. Reeled one girl in and passed her before the first corner of the park. Walked at a decently fast pace. Caught another girl and passed her before the 3rd corner of the park, but she blew past me for that corner and she was gone for good. She started walking and I could see it, but my legs weren't willing to think about trying to catch up. I walked most of the rest of the course. Especially the big hill. My advisor passed me going the other way on the hill and gave some encouragement. Once I got inside the zoo itself, I started running. People were cheering, so I ran faster and crossed the line. From when I crossed at the start, to when I crossed to finish, I recorded 41:29. That's pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Better pacing, no hurting knee
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Grabbed a cold water and drank it. Waited for a massage, talked to the girl who was right in front of me the whole time. Turns out that the reason she ran on the corner to pass me was because her mom was the volunteer there and "would have yelled at her to get going!" Got a massage (which was AWESOME!) that was less like "mini-massage" and more like 15 minutes of bliss. Grabbed a Cal-C Tangerine/Orange juice thing and had it. Disappointed that the Cal-C was the only thing that had any protein in it. Hung around with my advisor and another grad student (who did two half-marys in April) for the raffle and awards ceremony. Advisor won first place in his age group for the 10K which surprised the heck out of him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact I haven't completed the Couch-to-5k program, the hurt knee.

Event comments:

Pretty good little race that was well-supported. Glad I did it.

Last updated: 2007-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:35 | 03.11 miles | 13m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/19
Overall: 68/69
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 10:58 Mile 2: (est) ~14min Mile 3.1: (est) -16min
Course: Out of the zoo down Oak St, left onto Poyntz down a big hill. Down Poyntz to 11th, then around the City Park, then back up the hill and into the zoo.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: Mercy Wild Run 5k

2007-05-05 5:59 PM
in reply to: #789840

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Mercy Wild Run 5k
Sounds like you had a fun race - good job!
2007-05-05 6:04 PM
in reply to: #790011

User image

Expert
In limbo
Bummer about your knee....sounds like it went well though!  Great job!
2007-05-06 3:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany
oh man... without that knee i'm sure you'd have run it sub 40 mins!! but hey... you didn't come in last and especially YOU DID IT!! i'm sure you're feeling great about your self and you've got every reason to!! YOU ROCK!!!
2007-05-06 8:00 PM

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Great race!!!  You had a great time too!  Can't wait til mine is lower
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mercy Wild Run 5k Rss Feed