Pickle Events
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 29s
Overall Rank = 27/188
Age Group = 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 5/20
Pre-race routine:

Got my ass out of bed at 4:15 in the morning, had a bowl of granola and yogurt, made a pile of coffee, loaded up the car and drove two and a half hours. Ate a Clif bar and drank some Gatorade at the event site. Checked in at the school and set up my transition area as well as I could, covering shoes with plastic for the coming rain. I was pretty nervous and concerned about a million different things, so it was very nice to have my wife there to calm me down. Without her, I would not have been nearly as calm.
Event warmup:

About 20 minutes before my heat was called, I ran small loops inside the school including stairs for about five minutes then stretched for about ten minutes. I returned to the pool area, met with the rest of my heat and proceeded to cool down for the next 20 minutes before we started.
Swim
  • 09m 56s
  • 600 yards
  • 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started second of the three of us in the lane and didn't like being so crowded together. Pushing off the wall after the first 25 yards, my goggles leaked a bit of water, so I had to stop after 50 to empty and reseal them. We soon spread out enough to allow each of us to swim at our own pace. I was able to make up my lost time, get past both of my lane mates, and then pass one of them again without too much trouble. I was concerned that I would go out too hard, and while I swam faster than I intended, I was still able to breathe with every third arm for most of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Skip hanging my little towel by the side of the pool. Using it to dry off didn't make much difference, and I got it snagged on a hook and dropped it so I had to go back and pick it up off the floor. I also need to practice my turns/pushing off from the wall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Wet feet do not like socks. I fumbled around a little bit, but things went about as well as they could. I opted to pass on putting on a long sleeved shirt despite the threat of rain.

Practice more with things laid out outside.
Bike
  • 35m 30s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The beginning of the ride was dry, but about two or three miles into the ride I started to feel drops. By about five miles, it was raining pretty seriously. Standing water on the path was kicked up by my front wheel and soaked my feet. With no sleeves, and a newly shaved head under my helmet, until the rain got heavier, each drop felt like a pin poking me. I also didn't put on my sunglasses since it was dark, but I wish I had in order to keep the water out of my eyes. The rain died down a little the last two miles or so.

The wind was around 25 to 35 miles per hour, and the first few miles were pretty difficult and at times I struggled to keep over 15 mph. Turning the corner after the first railroad crossing and even more after I turned onto the trail, I was able to speed up significantly despite the much heavier rain. On the trail I was averaging about 21 mph. Turning back towards the school about half way, the tailwind was great. I was over 25 mph most of the time and was even keeping up high 20s and low 30s for a while without difficulty.

I was able to pass probably 12 to 15 people during the ride. Getting passed by the guy on the tricked out tri-bike was cool... he was flying. Yelling, "You're an animal. You're a f****** animal" "This isn't rain. C'mon give me some real rain" and the like helped me get over any mental issues I had with the conditions.

Don't try to grab a falling water bottle and get it caught in spokes. That hurts a lot. Blood makes shifters/brakes sticky. I probably won't be able to catch the bottle anyway.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

More fumbling, but for the most part, not too bad. I was halfway to the exit from my bike when I realized I didn't have my race number on, so I turned around and grabbed that. I wished I hadn't as it probably cost me ten to fifteen seconds.

Forget the belt/number if it isn't required. More transition practice too.
Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

After pushing on the bike, it took a little while to get up to speed, but I was able to go a little faster and a little faster over the first two miles. The last quarter to half mile I was starting to hit the wall and slowed down a bit. A cramp below my ribs didn't help things.

I have like this was my weakest leg of the race even though I was right on target with what I hoped to do. I think dropping to six minute miles is doable. Don't skimp on the running training next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stager about, find the wife, stagger more, get first aid for the finger, shower

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure weather played a factor as it took a while for my legs to warm up and going through all the rain didn't help. Missing three weeks of training due to illness and travel may not have been a big detractor, I probably could have done better with more training.

Event comments:

I was surprised how well I did since I was doubtful I'd be able to meet my goal of 80 minutes before the race. My swim went better than expected, my bike went better than expected and I was pleased with my run. This was a wonderful race to do for my first tri. I think I'm hooked.

I was three seconds from getting a medal in my age group and only about 20 seconds from the place above that. There were so many places I could have saved on time. More practice is needed. I know I can improve.

Last updated: 2007-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:56 | 600 yards | 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 41/188
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless tri top and shorts
Course: Three of us circle-swimming our lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:30 | 13 miles | 21.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 21/188
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 2/3 of the course were county roads and highways, with a section on a wide paved trail. Two railroad crossings. A few relatively small hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:05 | 03 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/20
Overall: 27/188
Course: City streets, paved trail, crushed stone/mud path. Very flat except for a couple little rises.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

2007-05-05 6:59 PM
in reply to: #790047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

Great race!  Sorry about your finger .  You rocked out there, especially given the conditions.  Wind & rain for your first race - it can only get better!  It was great meeting you and I'm glad you enjoyed this first race.  What's next?

kris

2007-05-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: #790055

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Thank you very much. My wife has been telling me to get over my modestness and admit that I did very well. I was very pleased with myself. It was nice to meet a few other people in person too and I hope to see everyone at another race again some time. I'm registered for the Brewhouse Tri in August and will be doing a few 5 and 10k runs this summer. Sadly, I don't think our schedule will work well for me to do any other triathlons though.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement.
2007-05-05 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Yes, you did do VERY well!  Imagine racing without the wind & rain!  I will be at Brewhouse, too.  It's a much bigger race, but still just as fun!
2007-05-05 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
holy fast swim and you did great in wet conditions! congratulations!
2007-05-05 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Thanks. I've been thinking about the conditions. It would have been interesting to find out just how that effected people's races. Yelling loudly and shouting down the rain and wind helped me mentally I think.

2007-05-06 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Very nice race! Your times were excellent.

Compare your swim, bike and run times to mine. Then compare our transition times. The big difference is our transitions.

Transitions can be free time and you should practice. Every time on and off the bike in training is a transition practice.
2007-05-06 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, transitions were easily my weakest point yesterday. Practice is all I can do I guess... and figure out how to get started with shoes already clipped into the bike.

Thanks again for all the advice and answering all my questions.
2007-05-08 10:42 AM
in reply to: #790325

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Wow, great job for your first race. You must be a natural. Hopefully you will be able to work in a few more races next year, now that you know how much fun they are Keep it up!
2007-05-08 10:59 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chain of Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed