60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 41s
Overall Rank = 134/214
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Night before met up with my dad, gave him
Got up at 4, showered at some chocolate lucky charms, left the house around 5am. Transition opened at 7am. I got to the race at 6:30. Dad showed up with the van and my bike at 7:30. I went and picked up the packets and pumped up the tires. In doing so the front tire flatted right at the stem. good thing i was there early, got the tube changed. Ate a granola bar, got the transition area set up. Next thing I know I am getting these horrible pains in my stomach, not real sure what was going on, but here I am 30min before the start of the race and doubled over because my stomach is killing me. Went over and introduced myself to Camnut (Tom) and waited for the start of the race.
Event warmup:

Not much very little jogging, lots of cussing because of my stomach.
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with my Under Armor cold gear long sleeve shirt over my jersey. I drank h20 at mile 2.

I wanted to run 10min miles on a avg and I was much quicker than that.
What would you do differently?:

Nothin
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I didn't have the shoes on the bike, i had them sitting in transition. shoes went on good and grabbed the bike, out i went.

learn to put shoes on when on the bike.
Bike
  • 39m 55s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Since the run was a little faster than expected I was just going to take it easy for the first mile or 2. A pack of ladies passed me all bunched up and drafting off eachother. I let them go but kept them in sight. About mile 4 I decided that enough was enough, went after them and passed them. right as I get passed them I get to the train tracks and low and behold there is a train. People were bunched up on both sides of the tracks just waiting. As the train went by I was in a good position so I clipped in and took off. It appears one of the ladies from the pack that I just passed decided she was going to suck off my wheel. I spent the rest of the ride trying to filter thru the guys that we had come up on and keeping her behind me. Had gatorade on the bike and did a good job of sucking that down. Ate a hammer gel at the halfway point

Not stop for the train :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I couldn't get the bike racked, both bikes on either side of me didn't leave me much room to get the bike on. I finally got it racked and then couldn't get my bike shoes off.

need to figure out how to get the shoes off on the bike. I dont have the bike handling skills to get the shoes off on the bike.
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off from transitions and my calfs felt as though they were going to cramp, twinging and everything. I figured i'd just keep moving, took a quick swig of water and kept shuffling. Had a lady come shuffling by and I asked if I could run with her for a bit. She was glad to have someone to keep her company. Took some more water at the 2 mile mark and kept trudging along. She said her goal was to run 10min miles, I told her mine was to keep the wheel sucker that was now about 30s behind me back there. Didn't have to stop to walk once. The pace and run went better than I could have ever hoped for. The second run was actually a 5k PR for me.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I finished my stomach started doing it again. spent the next 4 hours doubled over with stomach pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing it was a good race

Event comments:

They did wind up giving those that had to stop for the train a 2:30 minute credit. I was stopped about that long, but my dad was ahead of me and said he waited about 4 min. Apparently a new guy had taken over scheduling of the trains in that area and didn't get the message that they were supposed to be delayed an hour. 3D promised next year that this would be taken care of and since they've never had the problem before, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last updated: 2007-02-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:37 | 03.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/214
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average