United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m
Overall Rank = 217/246
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

After only sleeping about 5 hours, I got up around 4:55am to get ready. I grabbed some food and juice then headed out the door to pickup Texmom. Loaded her bike and off we went in the dark. Ate my rice cakes, peanut butter crackers and drank my juice on the way to the race. I was feeling very excited about my first time. I checked in and found my spot. Layed out all my stuff then walked around.
Event warmup:

I stretched a little...
Swim
  • 07m 37s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Okay, I need to practice. I guess swimming laps for the second time ever 3 days before a race isn't sufficient training! I didn't feel nervous when I first jumped in, which is good, but after swimming a few lengths I began to panic a little. My breathing was off. I lost my groove. I even had to put my feet down a couple of times to get it together. I was able to pass a few people, and I let a few people pass me at the wall so I could be by myself. Some swimmers are vicious, though. Goal 1: achieved...I didn't drown!
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice swimming!!! I don't have the endurance to have a continual swim without pausing at the wall.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

What the ****! Crazy! I was so relieved about surviving the swim that I kind of took it easy getting my bike stuff on. I chatted with the people next to me which probably didn't help me concentrate on what I needed to do. Oh, well...I'll do better next time!

I just need the practice. I had everything laid out and ready to go. Putting on socks, shoes, helmet, gloves, etc. takes time. I've got to figure out a way to multitask!
Bike
  • 57m 40s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 14.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting on the bike was tough. I couldn't get my feet in the toe clips. Finally got it together and took off...slowly. Before getting on the bike a tossed 2 peanut butter crackers in my mouth...Bad idea! I had no saliva to get them down. I felt like a cow chewing. After a bit, I felt comfortable enough to take my hand of the bars and take a drink from my camelback. I had the nozzle in my mouth the wrong way so I couldn't get any water. Finally, I twisted it around and was able to get those darn crackers out of my mouth! I swear it took 2 miles! The wind was really strong to me. I was going so slow! I just wanted not to fall or have a flat. Well, turning at the mid point mark, I was talking to the volunteer and I feel off my bike. The sad thing is I wasn't even moving! I literally feel over. I scraped my knee up, but got back on, said my good byes and headed back. The last part of the ride was better because the wind was pushing me from behind more.

I need to train. This was only the second time I had ridden outdoors on my bike. I also need to pay attention!
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I know my transitions are slow, but I have nothing to compare this race too...It's my first tri.

Last minute, I grabbed some jelly beans for the run. I'm so glad I did. I needed a little pick me up.

Stop talking to everyone!!! (but that's the fun part for me)
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the only event I've really trained for and I was slow!!! The course was fine. A few inclines, but nothing difficult. I was just so happy to be off the bike and running. My legs felt quite tired the first mile. I ate some jelly beans and I think that helped me. The last 2 miles I felt fine and was able to get into a groove. I just wished I would have pushed myself a bit more.

I forgot to set my watch so I didn't know how fast I was going at each mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Ate a few oranges and bagel. Saw my husband and friends. I felt great. I know I could have pushed myself harder and gone faster, but I really wanted to enjoy my first Tri...and I did!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One word...Training!

Event comments:

I really had a fun time doing this race. Being my first Tri, I feel pretty good about my results. I achieved my goals, and I'm pleased with that. I do know now what I need to focus on in my training. Hopefully, I'll improve on my next race and get stronger! YIPPEE!!!

Last updated: 2007-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:37 | 300 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/246
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:40 | 13.8 miles | 14.36 mile/hr
Overall: 217/246
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: We had headwinds, crosswinds, tailwinds...It was WINDY! Rode around the lake. Hilly with some rough patches.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 180/246
Course: flat run out to the lake
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 10:06 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Tri-Benbrook Sprint

2007-05-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #790346

User image

Regular
Crowley, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Benbrook Sprint
Great race yesterday. I was out on the bike course directing traffic. (Red Shirt) The winds were blowing pretty hard. Congrats on finishing your first triathlon, and reaching your goals.
2007-05-06 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Great job girl! You did awesome, especially considering your decision to do this tri was only about a week before the race and you had been in the pool maybe twice in the last few months! Plus, I don't think you had logged a whole bunch of hours on your bike, but all your other working out sure helped you get through it. I am looking forward to the Danskin, especially the part where we get to be gone for two nights without kids!

2007-05-07 8:03 AM

User image

Elite

As my avatar hints at I'm a kindred Fort Worth spirit, and I'm sorry I never got a chance to do this race while I lived there.  Glad to see you jumping in so enthusiastically.

bts

2007-05-08 9:46 AM

User image

, Texas
Congrats TRIATHLETE on your first race. You did great and I'm sure will be back for more.
2007-05-08 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Yo, chatty Cathy!  Nice work.  Now you are a triathlete.  You're that much more prepared for Danskin.  But, we've got to all get in a lake somewhere for some OW swimming.  It's a huge world of difference from a nice pool swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Benbrook Sprint Rss Feed