Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 38s
Overall Rank = 2007/5570
Age Group = Clyde 220+
Age Group Rank = 27/88
Pre-race routine:

got up, ate, doubled checked all of my stuff and took off
Event warmup:

Walked around, peed, stretched, and fought the crowd. Man was there alot of people. Looked for any Bters or calf tattoos but did not see any. Kept reminding my self that my goal was 2:10:59:59 which would be just under a 10 min/mi pace. Positive thoughts and envisioning making my goal. Strong mind strong body blah blah blah. Just some mental reenforcement stuff.
Run
  • 2h 07m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

So I started out and my first mi was 11 minutes. I was pissed. Sooooo many people that I could not get anywhere. Don't these people know that I have a goal for this race? The ones that really irked me were the people walking 4-5 abreast. Uh, walkers in the rear please. Some guy asked if he could run with me, and I laughed and said sure. Come to find out he ran CC in high school. I was thinking the whole time what is he asking to run with me for? But it was all good. Chatted for a most of the first 9 miles.

I was able to run around a few people and settled into a comfy pace. Miles 2-7 were at 10:10 per mi. I wanted 10 min miles but thought I would catch up as the race went on. Ended up taking water and or gatorade every other station and walked those for 20 yds or so each time.

Mile 6.5-9 were the bigger hills of the course. I had been doing alot of hills and they ended up not being near as bad as I thought they would be. I passed alot of people on the hills as I picked up my pace to 10:00 per mile. Bands and fans were everywhere. Scenery was great, everyone was in a great mood. My pseudo running partner was struggling on the hills and I found myself checking on him to make sure he kept the pace on the hills. He had one part where he said go ahead but I stayed on him through mi 9. Only bad thing is I was running behind two guys that had on hospital gowns and speedos. Over the speedos were fakes butts. It was really funny until I realized that I was looking at the wrong kind of pace booty. Luckily they were doing the full so at the split they were gone. I passed the 9 mi mark and thought to myself that I was not going to make my goal. I was pretty bummed for a bit until I thought "wait a minute, you feel great, hard part is done, pick it up!" So off I went.

Mile 9.1 through finish was mostly downhill or flat. I know that they say downhills are quad killers but I have never had a problem with my quads so I really picked up the pace. Left my running buddy at this point. I had some serious time to make up if I wanted my goal. I am not sure what pace I was running, but it was about 9 or maybe even a bit under. I was 2 min and 20 sec off of my finishing goal. Tried to stay focused on a fast, but not too fast pace. Felt pretty damn great most of the way. Hit the turn around that was about mi 11.5 or so and ran into a bottle neck. Had to actually walk for a bit which made it really hard to keep going. Got back up to speed with about 2 miles left. Checked my watch and still needed to pick it up even though I had made up some time. So paced increased again.

I was now within 2 miles and tried to just keep a good strong pace. Inside of one mile some jackass was with his buddy pounding brews and he looks right at me and says only 7 miles to go and starts to laugh like a drunk POS. I gave him the glare(yea, you know the one) and said nice boiler lazy ass. Man did that feel good to say. The girls running next to me gave a little giggle so it was all good.

I had passed mile 12 a little way back so I was trying to kick it into high gear(well for me anyway). Ran under the underpass that went between the stadium and the arena and I was positive the finish was just on the other side. I come out of the shade and I can not see the finish anywhere. This was like getting punched in the mouth. I was crushed. How much further did I have to go? I ran the next 200-300 yards or so while being totally deflated. Make the corner and THERE IT IS!! the Finish Swine. Tried to sprint but I felt my legs were DONE! Strided it out as best I could and crossed. I did it. A little over a year ago I ran a mile in 13.5 minutes and was gassed. Now I have done a half!!!
What would you do differently?:

Slighty quicker pace at first, but not much faster. Felt good to have something left over the last 4 miles. Maybe try to run a 9:50 pace or so. I think that was definitely doable

Organize the bT get together better. THere were quite a few peeps that I did not get to meet. Although getting to meet the ones I did was a definite highlight.
Post race
Warm down:

Raided the free food line. 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 bagel, 2 waters.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, little slower than goal pace but made it up in the end.

Event comments:

Race was outstanding even though I have not done many. Everyone I heard was raving how well it was run, aid station every mile, mile markers every mile. Good expo, lots of post race entertainment. What a good time

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/88
Overall: 2007/5570
Performance: Good
Min HR - 112(start) Avg HR - 143 Max HR - 156 5k - roughly 34:17 6.8 mi - 1:09:05 15K - 1:31:39 last 3.8 mi - 35:59 Yeehaw - negative splits!!
Course: some rollers and some medium hills. Hills were not as bad as I thought they would be. I guess i just envisioned K2 or something.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Flying Pig Half Marathon

2007-05-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: #790467

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Flying Pig Half Marathon
Great race report!  Thats fantastic you made your goal time in the end!  Great way to push those last two!   Any thoughts on the full next year?
2007-05-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #790496

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio

JenBunn1e - 2007-05-06 3:45 PM Great race report!  Thats fantastic you made your goal time in the end!  Great way to push those last two!   Any thoughts on the full next year?

Just recovering now, but a year ago a half was out of the question so I will have to see what happens.  I would love, but not real soon.  Might try to talk friend into being my running buddy and see if he will run it with me

Edited by buckeye66 2007-05-07 9:40 AM
2007-05-07 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove
Hey great race! Glad to hear you met your goal!! Sorry i wasn't able to meet up w/ you BT'ers at the expo, some family things arised that afternoon. But it was a great race and great weather! Keep up that running man, the full isn't any worse than the half b/c it's all downhill after the Split!
2007-05-07 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
you rock, and so does your family.  i'm gonna come over again, i have to finish coloring that picture
2007-05-07 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Yeah! Great job. You had a great, great race. Way to pick it up to finish. I'm sorry that I missed meeting you and all the other BTers as well! I'm sure the food you provided was better than the wedding appetizers I had!

Congratulations!!! Awesome race!

2007-05-08 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Thanks to all.  Because of this race I am seriously considering a full.  Maybe Columbus.  If not that then 50K with tnickerson
2007-05-09 5:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Very smart race!  I concurr with the walkers at the front - they gotta get to the back.  Congratulations on the PR and finish!

I missed the Speedo guys...interesting.  There were some wild costumes out there, that's for sure!
2007-05-09 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina
I wanted to send my congrats and also thank you again for the dinner it was great.......I agree 100% about the walkers, I promised runnergirl that I would be nice about it because she had to hear me gripe but it was really rude of them to first of all start up in front and secondly "hog" the road by walking 4-5 abreast.....
2007-05-09 5:19 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

congrats on beating your goal!  Sorry to hear about the walkers- I'm glad my boyfriend isn't the only one who was cranky about it I do agree- I passed way too many walkers in the beginning.  I wish they would have had corral starts or something to help elminate that problem!

Can't wait to see which marathon you go for!  Keep up the running and thanks for the great pre-race food and having us over!

2007-05-13 3:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-05-16 7:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Loved the RR.  The pace booty, the pacing, the "hills not as bad as I thought....", the great job at making your goal!!  Well done!
2007-05-18 10:21 AM

Expert
Earth

Good job on the 1/2.  Walkers starting out way up front, beats me why they would do that.  I have had several races where that has happened, and it is a royal pain, trying to dodge them and still keep your pace/form.  I am glad they are out there, but please stay out of the way.

That is one reason I don't start in the front, I would be blocking faster runners.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed