General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Nebraska National Guard
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 00m 17s
Overall Rank = 1547/3431
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 116/174
Pre-race routine:

Kids at grandma's last night, and we had some pasta and got up nice and early. Really, we'd been watching the heavy thunderstorms for days, and were hoping against hope for a break. We parked in downtown Lincoln and walked/jogged to drop our bags.
Event warmup:

A walk and trotting to the event from about 6 blocks away. Started the race together in the 10+ min/mile area. Ran into Doug K., and a few others (Grace's friend's mom).

Stood around in the rain, and it was about 8 minutes or more before getting to the line.
Run
  • 2h 00m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Lisa and I started together and ran the first mile or so together. We ran nicely along, and the crowd was such that one couldn't really pass for awile anyway. It was fun going together, but we each were planning on running our own races, so going down 16th Street, I decided I needed to speed up, and took off. (she tells me that is when her race started too). Still, it was hard to just stroll along down 16th street, but it was crowded, so I looked around. The old houses looked cool and the running was effortless.

Turning up South Street, I climbed that hill without any difficulty. My only concern was a brief question about my HR as it seemed higher, but after all, it was a race and this was a long hill. I had no fatigue and felt I could have zipped even faster. Wise not to, though.

I was looking forward to Sheridan where I could have flown down the long flat winding street. Waived to some sisters (nuns) and found a rabbit of an old guy and a younger heavy gal who were keeping a nice pace. Not sure why, but I always like to get someone who doesn't look like they can go fast and then they do and kick my buhookie.

Nice and cool, and up in the soggy grass a few times to get around people on Sheridan. Really, I was passing all, as were my two rabbits, and not avoiding puddles and such.

Light rain this whole time.

Down 48th quickly - got a drink and was flying on the downhill. I decided not to let my legs stop me and to use the gravity. Wide road, and so I could pass a lot of folks, which I did.

I really was passing people a LOT until mile 7-8 or so. It felt so easy, and I didn't want to fall prey to thinking it was too easy, and then dying at the end.

Down Hywy #2 the trail was narrow. That killed me as I couldn't pass and I was forced to go at the group pace, particularly after mile 8 or so (pace dropped to 09'32"). The slower pace was good for me, I am sure, but it seemed to tire me out more. I don't know why, since this was a relatively fast pace for training, and I was on mile 8 or so.

Ran with a couple guys from Omaha and was asked about my GPS. He'd left his off as the rain and such ruined his signal.

Turning on 20th Street, I saw a guy pushing his old dad or someone in a chair, and I was inspired. This running is EASY compared to that. The pace slowed on that long uphill.

The hill didn't bother me much as I just kep my pace, and I enjoyed the view of the country club and old houses.

By the time I hit Harrison Street, I wanted to go faster. Seemed I could get to the low 2 hours, and I wanted to, so I picked it up a bit down the street, and even more so on 10th, which was where it started to get tough. Still, I passed a lot of people on 10th street. My pace really increased at the end - last 3 miles.

By the last mile or so, I was going fast and not realizing it as I wanted to go faster and couldn't. I just couldn't really push faster safely in that crowd on uneven terrain, and I think my body/legs were near their limit as I was trying to go faster and just didn't feel like I was (although it was a 08'08" pace, so maybe I just physically couldn't).

At the finish line I pushed fast and the bricks were tough, but I just sort of sprinted to the end. Felt great.

Okay, so I saw a guy named Tom afterwards while waiting for my t-shirt and could hardly talk with him.
What would you do differently?:

Start up front more so I am not having to pass so many and not pass when I had the energy to. Just train and I'm sure I can go faster the whole way!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found a bathroom I'd wanted to visit for two hours, and ate some fruit. Then I waited for Lisa, but missed her, I guess. Wish I'd have seen her cross as she finished strong too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The crowd.

Event comments:

Really a great race, and known to be. They tried to limit to 5,000 racers, but got so many complaints they had to open up 200 more slots. Only criticism is that maybe its getting too big for the paths.

Last updated: 2006-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:17 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 116/174
Overall: 1547/3431
Performance: Good
10 minute increments: Time; pace; HR 010; 11'36"; 153 020; 09'13"; 162 030; 09'40"; 163 040; 09'05"; 167 050; 08'53"; 169 060; 08'22"; 168 070; 07'56"; 164 080; 09'32"; 161 090; 10'22"; 166 100; 08'31"; 172 110; 08'36"; 173 120; 08'08"; 176
Course: Flat, as set out in my routes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon

2007-05-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: #790729

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon
Sounds like you had a good race. I know what you mean about the trails being too narrow. I took to the grass to pass and about stepped in a hole. Overall I thought it was a pretty good race. I'm sure I'll do it again next year, might even try the full. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Jeremy
2007-05-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: #790729

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon
nice job and very detailed RR. congratulations on finishing so strong (i was limping at the end of my first half marathon)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon Rss Feed