United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 26s
Overall Rank = 8/685
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/27
Pre-race routine:

For a distance such as this I normally eat about 3 granola bars from an hour to 15 minutes before the start of the race. For me it seems to give me excellent fuel for the duration of the race without have to stop for gels. I also will jog for 10-15 minutes to loosen my legs and stretch.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:30 am then drove to the parking garage for a 5:00 bus pickup but waited for the 5:30 bus. It was about a 30 minute drive to the start so I wouldn't have too long a wait at the start in the cooler canyon temps. Jogged about 15 minutes, lightly stretched, and walked to the starting area.
Run
  • 1h 34m 26s
  • 15 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

There were four races today. Marathon, Mini Marathon (15 miles), 10K, and 5K.

Beautiful, scenic run down the Poudre Canyon. I was very happy that the rain they had forecasted for the past few days never materialized. We started the run that went around the entire start area then up a steep hill that led to the road that leads through the canyon. From there it was down hill to about 2 miles from which it then rolled. It was from this point that I managed an overall 6:15 pace through just before the half. I think it could have been a little faster had the wind not been as strong as it was, coming directly into our faces.

After passing one person just before the second mile, I stayed in 8th place the entire time. Passed the 13.1 at 1:22:24 which was only about 42 seconds slower than a half I did a few weeks before so I was encourage by that.

After that, I started feeling more and more sore in my feet and was glad there was a guy about 30 seconds ahead of me that I could key off and not get stuck in "no man's land". He helped keep me on pace throughout the rest of the race and I ended up about 22 seconds or so behind him. Turns out he was a 'tri' guy that hadn't done much long running for a while. Coulda fooled me!

The last 2/3 mile was slightly up hill but being able to see the finish helped motivate me to push it through the end. Overall I was happy with the time considering it was a tougher course than I had anticipated. But a beautiful course nonetheless.

One very cool note!!! In the full marathon, Kara Roy (course record holder) ended up running an Olympic qualifying time of 2:46:32 today. She turned in the third fastest time in Colorado's history and had the fastest American time run in Colorado. Very impressive because of the elevation. Not only that, she was third place overall.
What would you do differently?:

Not underestimate any course. I thought it would be a much faster course but with the wind at times and some significant hills it really mellowed out the pace and made me have to push it even harder at times to maintain a good pace.
Post race
Warm down:

I wanted to jog a few miles to shake my legs out but there was A LOT of people in the area around the race. So, I just walked around and stretched more than usual.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not too much. The wind at times certainly slowed things down but I tried to ignore it as much as possible. Kept telling myself that it was keeping me cool

Event comments:

Great race but the races all converge at one point making for a bit of a traffic jam. No complaints from me since they had only a limited area to work with but it probably caused some irritation at times.

The crowd support was excellent however. It helped kick start the adrenaline at key points along the race that kept me going strong.

Last updated: 2007-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:26 | 15 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 8/685
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 9:48 PM

Subject: Colorado Mini Marathon

2007-05-07 5:30 PM
in reply to: #790797

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: RE: Colorado Mini Marathon
Nice time!  I can only dream of running that fast.
2007-05-07 6:37 PM
in reply to: #792049

ultramike - 2007-05-07 5:30 PM

Nice time! I can only dream of running that fast.

Give it time and I'm sure you could. And thanks!
2007-05-07 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Great race, and nice time too.  Sounds like a beautiful run.
2007-05-07 9:13 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Congrats Mike!  Heck of a race!  Mighty fast time...way to go, and congrats on the AG win!

Edited by COgirl 2007-05-07 9:14 PM
2007-05-08 10:31 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Hey, running in the canyon must have been BEAUTIFUL!! Great job out there bustin' out a super fast pace despite the course being tougher than you thought - way to stick it out!!

Wow, and to think you wanted to KEEP RUNNING in order to cool down..... hehe ~ you're a runnin' FOOL!  

YAY, CONGRATS ON WINNING YOUR AG!!

2007-05-10 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice work!!!  Looks pretty stellar to me.  I hear you about not underestimating a course too.  It's always fun to see what a new course brings!  Keep up the nice work
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Mini Marathon Rss Feed