Benbrook, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Total Time = 1h 14m 33s
Overall Rank = 43/250
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/20
Pre-race routine:

Packed and loaded up the night before. Woke up at 4:20, brushed my teeth, sucked down a spoonful of PB & headed out. Ate an Odwalla bar on the way and drank some water.

Goal for the race:
Finish in 1:15
Swim: 1:40 / 100 yds
Bike: ave 20mph
Run: ave 8:00 pace

Event warmup:

None, just stood in line waiting for my turn. As luck would have it, I was just before Aaron.
Swim
  • 04m 58s
  • 274 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

Dropped in at the wall and pushed off. My shoulder is a little tweaked, so my plan was to go moderately hard. After about 125 yds, the guy in front of me starts walking the shallow end. I think no big deal as he is still moving about the same speed. At the 175 mark, he stood up and looked like he needed a rest and let me passed. I quickly caught up to the next guy. I moved to the center to pass him and then decided it wasn't worth it and just settled in behind. At the wall, he did let me go. Other than that, it was pretty uneventfull and my time is right where I wanted it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Normal T1 for me. Took my time and didn't rush at all.
Bike
  • 41m 37s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 19.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Since this was my first time in this area and the course was though parking lots & park roads, I just settled in behind 2 people as to not make a wrong turn. About halfway to the road, one guy in front of me took a wrong turn, but I managed to follow the right one. Once on the normal road, I quickly picked up the pace and passed the guy in front of me.

I knew the wind was pretty strong, but the way the road winds, it wasn't in your face for very long. I think this made it a bit more bearable. On the way back, there were some good times with a tailwind and I was pushing 25mph. I also went out a bit too hard during the first 5-6 miles.

On the steep hill, I had to gear all of the way down and stand up to pedal. This is the first race where I had to do that.

I wanted a 20mph ride, but considering my lack of bike training since Oct, I'm very happy with this ride.

Drank 3/4'ths of my bottle of Gaterade, no gels.
What would you do differently?:

Get some time in the saddle.

I probably could have eased into this ride a bit more rather than starting out so hard.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Ho-hum, ho-hum, normal T2 for me. Finished the Gatorade just before leaving for the run.
Run
  • 25m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I left T2 forcefully slowing myself down. I go about 1/4 mi and look at the Garmin and I'm dead set on a 8:00 pace. I feel fine, but slow anyway to about a 8:30 pace and try to hold that for a while. It didn't work too well as I hit the 1 mile mark at about 8:10, but by then I knew I was at a good, maintanable pace.

I got a cup of water at the aid station just after mile 1, then kept on going. I was pretty steady on my run the entire race and didn't take in any other fluids. For the last 1/4 mi. I picked it up a bit and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

I may have been able to maintaing a slightly higher pace, but this was my best triathlon run, start to finish I've had.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some bagels/bananas/oranges and talked with my parents, Aaron (JeepFleeb) & Andrew (BigRed). Then, went and cheered on some of the later finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Consistant training, although I was almost dead on with my goal in each dicepline, so I'm very happy with this race.

Event comments:

Ironhead always puts on a good, predictable race with the distances dead on for each of the legs. The Brooks tech event shirt was a real nice touch as well.

Could have had more post race food than oranges, bananas, & bagels.

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:58 | 274 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/20
Overall: 34/250
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: YMCA 25yd lap pool. 6 lanes, serpentine swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:37 | 13.8 miles | 19.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 35/250
aveHR: 180 maxHR: 189
Wind:
Course: Out and back. Out the Y through parking lots, then down winding roads through the park, next to the lake.
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:04 | 03.11 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 71/250
aveHR: 180 maxHR: 188
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 9:52 PM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Tri-Benbrook Sprint

2007-05-06 10:13 PM
in reply to: #790802

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri-Benbrook Sprint
Great race! I did the race on Saturday as well, you probably whizzed by me at some point.
2007-05-14 12:58 PM
in reply to: #790802

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Benbrook Sprint
Great race Chris. Your results wouldn't make one think that you had not raced since Oct.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Benbrook Sprint Rss Feed