General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Progress & Friend Issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-07 7:07 AM

User image

Subject: Swim Progress & Friend Issue
Been focusing on my swim and saw reasonable progress on my 100's, but don't seem to see much progress with improving my time on the 200's. I'm training for a Sprint tri in less than a month. Is there any advice - should I change my training somehow? Been doing drills for warm up, then just doing 200's?

Also, my friend (who's my ride for the race) bought a bathing suit that was small for her. She sold it to me for the price tag and when I saw the receipt, it turns out she paid 40% off for it. I made note of it lightly and said in an email, "By the way, I happen to notice that it was discounted. You don't have to give me the $, but you can count it towards my race expense share". I'm offended and she was offended because she claims that she thought it was full price, but when I asked for receipt previously in case I wanted to exchange for another color since we were going to the store together, she was slightly hesitant. That's how I found out it was a different price & it bugs me that she would do this since I'm unemployed. Now, she hasn't called me back in two days, should I scramble and find another ride soon?

2007-05-07 8:12 AM
in reply to: #790934

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: Swim Progress & Friend Issue
I'd find another ride ASAP, and another friend.  If you value this friend, then just ask them straight up...perhaps they are harder up for money than you are??  Left alone, this issue will divide a huge wedge between, and destroy, your friendship.  If you're cool with that, then just consider it a life lesson, and a rather inexpensive way to see who your real friends are.
2007-05-07 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

I'm sorry I have no advice for you on the swim....I'm struggling myself

But as for the friend....how close was this person to you for her to have pulled a stunt like that.  I'd get another ride.  She should be embarassed. 

2007-05-07 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Work on 50's, and 100's for now, then 200's a bit more down the road. As you build strength and speed in the 100 distance, you can then start to add the longer intervals.. or sets. You didn't make clear which is was. Actually, if this is sets, you should be doing longer distance than just 200's over and over. PM me to discuss this further if you want.

As far as the friend goes.. ditto on the find another ride, and find another friend. That, or confront your friend face to face and ask her why she would do that. If she refuses to answer truthfully, or doesn't admit to it, then she is not worth being friends with. Your tri lifestyle will supply you with tons of new and worthy friends anyway.

2007-05-08 8:53 AM

User image

Hi All,

Thanks for your support. Had a conversation with the "friend". I thought she was a good friend until she tried to pull one over me. I thought it was suspicious when she was reluctant to give me the receipt because I may want to exchange my Speedos for a different color since we were both going to the Sports Authority and then when we were in Sports Authority and after I gave her the money and she said "oh, you don't have to wait on line with me, why don't you go over there and read some sports magazines".

Anyway, when I returned her call last night, I found out that she supposedly had gotten poison ivy from our mini adventure race the previous week. I suddenly thought about karma. It didn't bother me that she said I was being nitpicky about money and that it must be a cultural thing, but at least now I know to keep one eye open so to speak.

Thanks again for your support - sometimes it's the strangers that are the most helpful and I truly appreciate your candidness.

dinae
2007-05-08 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Yeah, cause it's so nitpicky of her to charge you more than she paid herself...  sounds like she's feeling guilty and blaming the victim.

Stay her friend if you want to - just don't ever buy anything from her again.  Cause now you know that the $$ is more important to her than being fair.  Be careful around this person in money situations cause now you know where her priorities lie.

2007-05-08 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'll tackle the easy one first...if your 100 times are improving, but 200 isn't, is your form changing as you tire?  If so, work on maintaining good form for 150 or 200 yards at a time instead of speed.  Don't go longer until you can keep good form at the shorter distances. 

As for the "friend"  you've got all the info to make a decision.  How much is her friendship worth to you (more than the 40% discount she didn't pass along?)? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Progress & Friend Issue Rss Feed