General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
Ultramax
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 42s
Overall Rank = 391/489
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate some breakfast, forgot to start coffee, finished packing. Not much for pre-race routine. I had done this event before and was feeling pretty good and not too nervous.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike from the parking garage to the transition area. I figure if i warmed up now it was not going to do me any good. My 10 minute swim time was not going to start for 2 1/2 hours so no point in wasting any energy.
Swim
  • 11m 43s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think I put myself in a pretty good swim time/group. I didn't have trouble staying close to the person in front of me and I only had a couple of people pass me.
What would you do differently?:

I am planning a more rigerous swim training plan. I need to cut that swim time down by 1/3 if I ever want to become competetive in my age group. Also I will get to start the race an hour earlier and won't spend so much time just standing on the pool deck watching people swim. I had a good spot to view people getting out of the pool, but sitting front row I got pretty wet as they thrashed around trying to exit.
Transition 1
  • 04m 21s
Comments:

I think the time includes the run from the pool to the transition area. I noticed most times are over 3 minutes so I am not too upset with the time. I did go slowly through transition because I found myself giving advise/help to some others who near me in the transition area.

I need to run faster from the pool to transition. Also I won't have to put on a shirt once my CMC jeresey comes in. That will save a few secs.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 15 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel I am a stronger cyclist this year than last. I made the first climb up old 63 pretty easily even though there were pretty nasty head/cross winds. Once out on Grindstone I was able to keep a 17/19 mph ave and chase down a bunch of riders. The first time down providence I hit 40mph and got a bit scared that my bike may come apart. I was able to pull myself up Champions Drive hill(the Wall) both times with minimal pain. Second lap was slower than the first, but since I was wearing a watch I was able to keep better track of my time and where I stood clock wise.

I need to spend more time on the bike. I also need to go ahead and get the much needed repairs done so my bike doesn't give me the sensation of flying appart at any speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Why is it that all ultramax events either don't have a T1 or a T2 time. For MaxTrax the box for T1 fuked up and for this race there is no T2 split. WTF???

T2 was pretty good. I love my velcro bike shoes. Off quickly and my running shoes and race belt went on with ease. I almost forgot to take off my helmet but remembered before I left my transition spot.
Run
  • 33m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was good. Found some people around my speed to run with. I managed to spend more time running than walking. I picked up my 4 Y/O at the last major turn before the end and got passed by a few, but I was also carying an additional 35 lbs. It took a bit to get to the end, but even without carrying the spawn, I don't think I could have gotten under 1:50.

I need to spend more time on the tready where I am forced to run, and do it at speeds that I am uncomfortable.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:43 | 400 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 42/44
Overall: 427/489
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:20 | 15 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/44
Overall: 376/489
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was hilly with pretty heavy winds for most of the ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:16 | 03.1 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/44
Overall: 390/489
Performance: Average
Course: Reasonably flat run through Downtown Columbia and the MU campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed