Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 205/223
Age Group = Clydesdale 0-39
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

Ate sushi prerace on south beach and stayed at the loews where it was nice and comfortable. Asleep by 10:15 and up at 4:30. We had picked up our packets on Friday so we just parked and labeled our gear and went to setup transition. There were no lights in transition so i need to remember to bring one of my headlamps next time.

Met up with Jamie (piperfl) and i saw mimi (mimir) and her husband before the race. It is always awesome seeing fellow BTers.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little and wlaked out to the beach from transition which was a long walk.
Swim
  • 38m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim seemed to have a current. I was looking at the seagrass and it did not move under me as i swam. Either a csmall current or i was really slow on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 06m 48s
Comments:

T1 started on the beach when we exited the water, then we had a long (.25mi) run in the sand up to the transition where i sat to put on my socks and bike shoes and peed.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I really concentrated on getting enough hydration and thought I would try the nutrition thing. I had filled two water/gel bottles so I had 4 gel packs accelerade, and around 60 oz water. I ate all and drank all and it certainly would prove to make a difference on the run.

The bike was good although the climbs beat me up. I am familiar with the bridge as I train there, but it does not make it any less of a challenge. I saw Jamie (piperfl) on the first climb and she looked good. I really felt good on the bike and tried to hold 20-22mph exceot for the bridge climbs. I kept a good cadence as well.

Train climbing more and lose some more weight
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Had a good T2 - I was off the bike quick and into my shoes and running
Run
  • 1h 27m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I really drank all i could on the bike and at the two gels. I ate another gel on the way out of T2 and drank more water. I really felt good on the first 1.5 miles which I did not have to stop. Then I began the walk/run deal, but I felt a million times better than St As so the hydraiton helped. I don't know how I could have gotten more hydration on the bike because I had three bottles on there already and could have used more.

I really felt a lot better about the run and much less exhausted on the run. I was able to finish strong.

Train more and a little more hydration on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and ate bananas

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Last updated: 2007-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/223
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: A straight out and back course along the beach which was very shallow - at some points my hand would toch the ground.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:04 | 24.85 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: A two lap course around Key Biscayne which included going over Rickenbacker Causeway two times so 4 climbs up that bridge.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:27:38 | 06.21 miles | 14m 07s  min/mile
Course: Two lap course throught Crandon park. Some shade some beachfront and some in the bright hot sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
Subject: SwimBike&Run Tri-Miami Triathlon

2007-05-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #791169

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: SwimBike&Run Tri-Miami Triathlon
Great job Owen!  Nutrition and Hydration are uber important in a race (I've learned the hard way enough), and it sounds like it made a big difference for you.  You looked great on the course!  After we met you, my husband made a comment about how impressive your weight loss was!  Keep it up, your times are looking really good.
2007-05-07 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

Owen-

So glad i got to meet you!  It was great seeing you on the course kicking it up the hill!  I saw you another time, but I was too tired to yell over to you

Did you see any of the sting rays while doing your swim?  I saw like 5 baby ones...kinda freaked me out since it was such shallow water!   Congrats on doing the Olympic!  I hope to be able to make it there one day!

See you again soon!

Jamie 

2007-05-07 2:40 PM

User image

New user

Congratulations!!  I signed up for the Olympic at Disney in Sept (for better or worse depending on some people's opinion of Disney), and I know I have lots of work ahead of me this summer.  I have a ton of respect for you doing that distance!

I did the sprint at Key Biscayne, my first tri.  Wish I would have communicated better ahead of time so I could have met you and the other fellow BTers from S. Fla.  I plan on doing the Trilogy this summer, so maybe we'll cross paths.  Again, congrats!

2007-05-07 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellant race!!!

Nice splits and tough to do two Olys back to back weekends. 

Seems like the better nutrition really helped on the run...was it as hot on the run as St. A's.

One way to see if you are drinking enough is if you need to pee or not and when you need to. Have you done a sweat test to measure how much you sweat per hour...if you want info. on that let me know.

Great to meet you last weekend and I look forward to watching your season as you have so much potential and will accomplish great things...look how far you have already come!! 

2007-05-08 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Owen, I just realized you did back to back Olys on two weekends!  You're a stud.    Looks like a good race; hope to see many more from you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SwimBike&Run Tri-Miami Triathlon Rss Feed