General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
Ultramax
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 35s
Overall Rank = 136/485
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/35
Pre-race routine:

I woke up about 5AM, Took a shower, at a waffle and drank a glass of water. I had packed my bags the night before so all I had to do was grab it and go. Put my bike on my car and went to race sight. It was only about 10 minutes from my house. I really didnt know where to park because they didnt give parking instructions in the race packet, but I found a parking garage a few blocks away that had high ceilings so I didnt hit my bike on them (more about the parking garage later)
Event warmup:

I set up transition first, so that I knew that was taken care of. The transition area was on and astroturf field, so there was plenty of room to run around and stretch without bothering anyone else. So I found a spot and did some jogging and stretching
Swim
  • 09m 14s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

We got into the Rec Center area (after a wait because the door was locked). Then we had to wait a while longer while the timing mats were getting set. We were lined up by approximated swim times and I put my self at the end of the 8 min because I was at 9:00 for my test and I figured that would be good place for me so I wouldnt get run over. I had to wait quite a while (about 40 minutes or so) until I started to swim because they were running everyone off at 11 second intervals. I started feeling dehydated and alittle hungry when I was waiting for the swim to start because the pool area was very warm and muggy. I probably should have brought a water bottle in with me. The swim itself went fine, I wasnt used to the 50m pool. I swim in a 25 yard pool normally. Swimming that far without turning around was a little wierd, but managable. I was ok about my swim for where I am at now, and the amount I have been in the pool. I will expect to do better in my next race
What would you do differently?:

I first would have spent more time in the pool training for the event. My life has been pretty hectic lately and I havent been able to get into the pool. Things should clear up shortly and I should have more time to swim. I probably should have brought food and drink into the pool area so that I could have fueled up before I started
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

From the pool, you had to go out the of the building, up some stairs, down and hill, and across and astroturf field to get to transition. That was a long way to go. I am surprise that I was even that fast because I was really dehydrated at this point and I couldnt get my legs to run very fast. In transition, everything went pretty smoothly. I put on socks and they went on pretty easily and got my shoes on and was even able to take a few drinks of Heed. I had a little trouble getting on my bike at the mount line.

I think it went pretty smoothly, but i could work more on jumping on the bike and clipping in.
Bike
  • 46m 26s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

After troubles getting clipped in, it went pretty smooth. I was consistantly passing people, which is good. There was one person who 4 people that pasted me on the first lap, but I passed 2 of them back on the second lap. Other than that, I passed alot of people. Just a quick comment on the roads. There were alot of potholes and cracks in the road. This winter was pretty harsh, so I know there is nothing that could have been done, but I just about lost it going down the second long descent on the first lap because I was going about 35 mph and it a huge crack in the road. I thought I was going to fly off the bike. Also one other comment. At times the bike lane was fairly narrow (no more than 1 or 2 wide) and this held me up a couple of times. The worst of which was on the second lap, when on the last long decent there was a slower person on the right and someone trying to pass him on the left. I came up on them really fast (I was probably going 5-10mph faster) and I yelled "right behind you", hoping they would realize that they needed to make the pass and get out of the way. I said it a few more times but The person passing would not get over. I was going about 10mph slower down the hill than the lap before. Finally at the bottom of the hill (before a gradual hill then the Wall) I screamed "On your left move over!!!!!!" Finally the guy moved over and I sped up the hill and left him. He put me in a very awkward position. I didnt want to draft, so I stayed back and slowed down. I could have been at least a minute faster on the bike if he hadnt slowed me down. I dont know what the exact rule is, but I think that you have a certain amount of time to complete a pass, dont you?

On the first lap, I would have picked a better gear for going up the first long hill. I was in 3rd gear (i think) and I decided to stand up and pound out the hill on the first lap. The 2nd lap I was in 1st gear and was able to spin up the hill faster than the first lap. I would also have tried to take more water in on the bike. I regretted it later
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

None of the results have a T2 time on it, so I assume it is mixed in with something else. I dont know
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out pretty slow. My legs wouldnt move and I felt dehydrated. About 3/4 mile in I started to feel dizzy. I slowed and tried to regain composure. At the first Aid station, I took some water, and it made my stomach hurt bad. I walked for about 5 seconds while I drank the water, but that was the only walking i did. By mile 2 or so I felt better and I started to run harder, but it wasnt very much faster.

I would have taken in more water prior to the run and I would have pushed a little harder. Overall I was disappointed with my run. It just didnt seem smooth and I never found my rhythm. This is only my first tri, so I am sure it will get better
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some water and stretch a little. walked around and watched a few other finishers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration/fuel and limited workout time lately. I think it will get better. I am not worried.

Event comments:

They did start a few minutes late, but overall it was a good race

Last updated: 2007-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:14 | 400 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/35
Overall: 271/485
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was indoors in an 50m pool. Water was cool but not cold. Snake style course where you had to cross under lane dividers
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:26 | 14.2 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/35
Overall: 42/485
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: It was up a short hill at the beginning then through a tunnel, around a parking lot and then out onto roads. The first part was rolling with long downhill leading to a corner. Then a slow climb for a mile or so then a the back part of the course was pretty flat (maybe a few slight rollers) then to a long downhill. To end the loop you you go up a gradual hill, turn a corner, go down a small decline, then up a very steep but short hill (the Wall- its called). Then you do the lap again and you go back to transition. There were a couple of wet spots but nothing to bad
Road: Potholes  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:01 | 03 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 260/485
Performance: Below average
Course: Out on on the astroturf field, through some grass, and out onto city streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-07 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon
This was my first triathlon.   Overall I a pleased with the result, but I am disappointed in my run performance.    I am hooked, that was really fun!!!!!!

Edited by crozetiga 2007-05-07 10:58 AM

2007-05-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: #791315

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon
Glad you are hooked because you did an excellent job on your first tri.  How exciting!!!!!  Great RR too.   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Merrill Lynch Race For Sight Triathlon Rss Feed