Frisco to Ft Worth, Texas
United States
MS Society
Total Time = 8h 40m
Overall Rank = /3000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was a 2 day event so I had to get up early (4:30 each day). At little because of nerves but knew they would have food at rest stops. Had a honey bun each day at 1st stop.
Bike
  • 8h 41m
  • 152 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering my longest training ride was 40 miles the previous weekend I was slightly nervous that I would be able to complete both days. Started strong on Saturday and was able to draft a little (weird to do this and since tri's don't allow it and I usually train alone) but mainly rode by myself. First major problem came about 10 miles in when I hit rumble strips lining the road. Someone mention that my computer fell off (Garmin 305) so I hit my brake out of reflex and almost caused a wreck. I was able to stop and after 10 minutes find my Garmin (thank god). Now I am nervous and keep looking down to make sure my watch is there there. I only hit one rest stop before lunch so I made really good time. Stop for lunch and keep going. By this time there was drizzle on the road and winds picked up. Stop more in the afternoon so that I would not wear out. Going over a dam on the lake was tough as there was nothing breaking the wind and the dam was longgg. Rode great in the afternoon and about 5 miles from the end I was making a left and hear a cop directing traffic holler "slow ...." and then I hit the pavement on my left side. Slid about 15 feet (bike went about 20). Surprisingly I felt fine. Got back on my bike and finished day 1 with a sore hip and a minor scape on my elbow but nothing bad which was surprising. Took a nap when I got home and woke up with an extremely sore hip and knee (apparently I jammed it on the way down. At this point I was seeing a good chance of not completing/starting day 2. Went to bed and got up at 4:30.

Averaged 18.9 mph for 78 miles (extremely happy).

Day 2:
Woke up and had hardly no pain so figured what the heck and left for day 2. Day 2 started with an optional lap around Texas Motor Speedway (1.5 miles), which I had to do because I love Nascar. Came out and they put up behind the people who did not do the lap, seemed like 2000 people. Once we started we were going extremely slow 14-15 mph until I could get around some people. Road was made from small rocks it seemed like so there was alot of vibration so my toes were tingling alot. Stop at first reststop because I did have alot of water and needed to use the restroom. There was long lines at both places so I went with restroom and took off. Stop at reststop 2 for water. Reststop 3 was lunch but this was about 9:00 so was not very hungery so had half of a chicken wrap and left again. At this point day 2 lunch was at 30 miles heading basically north. The next 42 miles as all south. I headed out and realized how windy it really was and was not liking the fact I would have to ride in a head wind for 42 miles (thank god for aero bars). The next 30 miles sucked. Hilly and windy with very few people to draft on. At one point I was stuck behind a line of 3 cars going less than 10mph for about 3 miles so that did not help my average. The wind was so bad that I was going down hills I thought I could have gone over 30mph and I was going 20 if I was lucky. Made it to the last rest stop (10 mile to go) and was figuring about 40 minutes not knowing what to expect. Got hooked up with 8 or 9 people and we drafted like hell off of each other and averaged over 20mph to the finish, very little hills and wind. Coming to the finished seemed like the end of the Tour de France as downtown Ft. Worth has brick roads and they had the big tunnel with people cheering (very cool).
What would you do differently?:

Train more but I a focused on Tri's and not biking or I could have rode faster and not taken all the stops that I did. Probably skip lunch next year and just eat at another rest stop.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training

Event comments:

This is a great event. Thousands of volunteers to hold you bike at rest stops and to get you water and cheer you on.

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Biking
08:41:00 | 152 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3000
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Trying to describe this course you can pretty much say everything. Saturday was wet and faily flat with wind gust and Sunday was dry, warm and extremely hilly and Windy. Road went from Extremely smooth to bumpy wiht pot holes.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right