Set-up Inc.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 29s
Overall Rank = 179/238
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

Let's see ... does Body Marking, working swim finish, a bike station (32 mile mark) and run course monitoring the day before for the White Lake Half count? Considering the lack of nutrition and hydration that went along with it ... I'd say it counts against any good race planning ... but it sure was fun. Body marking is ... well ... sweet. Anyway ...

NCTriNewbie and I stayed in Clayton, so our day started with driving. Got to the site in plenty of time to park at the FFA facility, check the water, get body marked, set up transition, pick up chips, check the water again, marvel at all the cool people with wetsuits, check the water again and still get down to the lake in time to watch them forcibly remove the surfers from the swim course. I decided that this race was going to offer all of the benefit of an ocean swim without the pesky salt or predators. Yes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Always the great supporter, nuthouse came over to wish us luck ... introduced us to his dad, who was there as race support. Michelle and the kids were there, too ... which was nice ... a cool adoptive family to cheer for us! YAY nuthouse dwellers!

I had managed to down a bagel with some peanut butter, and I could only hope I wouldn't be chumming.
Event warmup:

The temp at the start was about 60 degrees, so it was still much warmer in the water than out. Once I got in, I was pretty sure I had completely lost my mind somewhere along the way. I swam a few strokes. Complained aloud about the whitecaps ... you know ... in case no one else had noticed. We managed a few WOOHOO's and then the horn sounded and off we went into the sea lake.
Swim
  • 22m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Once I got my breathing under control and remembered that there's a useful reason for practicing bilateral breathing ... I used it. It didn't make the swim any better, but I wasn't drinking as much of White Lake. What is this drafting? Seriously, this is the first OWS where I could actually see other people. The lake is super clear. I managed to spot a bunch of trash on the bottom of the lake. That's a shame ... such a beautiful facility harboring so much trash! Later, someone told me the Navy Seals were down there somewhere. I didn't see them ... but I wouldn't, would I?
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster? Take up surfing? Stay home and bask in the glory that is me? I'm rating the swim average because ... it was slow ... but it was determined!
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Once you completed the run along the yellow brick road from Kansas to transition ... transition was this giant L-shaped thing, and I was fortunate enough to be racked with the Elites. By the time I got there, there were only a couple of bikes anywhere to be seen. The good news about being that close to the Elites is that the run with the bike is the shortest from that vantage point. I rinsed my feet ... applied socks and biking shoes ... grabbed my helmet, shades and Bridget and off we went. Mounting was less of an issue this time. I managed to get clipped in without killing anyone going out for their second lap ... or myself.

Attempt to land the house closer to transition?
Bike
  • 51m 9s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't expecting the winds. I had been training on hills as much as possible and tried to imagine that instead of winds, I was battling hills. It didn't really work since hills don't run up and smack you without you seeing them coming. Do they? I really wanted to keep this about 16 mph. I know ... low bar for some of you, but for me that was a stretch. I pushed myself but there just seemed to be no end to the wind. You'd think that with a circular lake, you'd eventually hit a tailwind, right? I never found one. I had some lovely headwinds and some wicked crosswinds ... but no help. It's so disheartening to look at your speedo and watch it go 18mph to 9 mph in a matter of a second. I made sure to treat my legs by spinning in the last half mile or so, but I still managed to pass some people. I did notice that people weren't dropping back when they got passed, and with the number of people on the course ... that made it hard. OH OH OH ... and what's up with passing and then slowing down ... at one point I lost 5 mph by trying to maintain my position!! I eventually sucked it up and passed her back, but it was frustrating. I will note that at about mile 10, I managed my first ever successful snot rocket. Thought I should share ... it didn't hit any part of me or my bike.

Train in a wind tunnel? Nothing really ... I met my goal.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

The first thing I realized was that fighting the wind had exhausted some muscles that I wasn't used to using. That or I fell asleep on the bike course and the pod people stole my actual legs and replaced them with a space substance that has the specific gravity of lead and the consistency of pudding. I ambled from my rack to the run start, which was WAY THE FRICK over where I left the house when it landed on that witch that I could only hope was not one of the USAT officials.

Find another movie reference ... one with stuff that will bleem me from place to place?
Run
  • 34m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Now look what happened here! I was still basking in the snot rocket achievement when I encountered the alien leg phenomenon. Anyone that's ever been dropped in a lake with those dreaded cement shoes and live to tell will know what I'm talking about! I felt like I was moving like Frankenstein's monster. I decided to stick with the 5 minute run/ 1 minute walk for as long as I could. I felt much better after the first cycle, but apparently I had no idea I was actually making decent time. Sad-but-true PR kind of time. By the time I hit the turn around, I'd found a groove and was trying to stay steady with footfall cadence. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry ... seriously ... was working alot more on left-right-left-right-breathe! Seeing those colored flags helped pick things up a little ... and then I saw Jen and Ryan standing right where we turned to run into the finish ... high fives and a burst of energy and off I went for my big finish!

See if Scully and Mulder could track down the source of the alien legs and get my own actual legs back ... even though mine are a little slower ... they don't feel all icky and weird.
Post race
Warm down:

I have to tell you ... nuthouse is a man without equal. Pre-race, I told him that all I really wanted at race finish was a nice cold Diet Coke ... and there he was ... with one for both me and NCTriNewbie! Better than drugs, I tell you! Met up with kapinto and got introduced to thegoddess and captanthony. It's cool to meet people from the board ... I met ADollar79 the day before as I wrote numbers and stuff on his body. I also ran into spot and ellasdad. I'm sure there were others, but my brain fails me. I just hung around the finish chute until Teri finished ... and no, I didn't drink her Diet Coke. :) We listened to a little bit of the awards ceremony and then decided to hit the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My generous proportions.
My fitness level.
My unwillingness to cooperate with the aliens.

Event comments:

I'm still making this a "5-Best" even though I hated the swim. On any other day, the lake would proabaly be perfect. There was about the same number of volunteers on Sunday as there was on Saturday ... enough for a Sprint ... probably not enough for a Half. (In my humble, worked a little too thoroughly as a volunteer, opinion) I was told that the race is flat ... and it is by golly flat. Looking at the finish time, though, I wouldn't count on it being necessarily fast ... just flat. I recommend this race to anyone that doensn't love OWS. The lake is shallow and clear with a white sand bottom. I think many of us walked the last 25 feet to the ladders. :)

Last updated: 2007-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:56 | 750 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 177/238
Performance: Average
Suit: Of course not!
Course: A clockwise triangle ... first swimming into the wind ... then a long cross current leg ... then a shorter cross the current in another direction leg. WHERE OH WHERE was our nice mirror flat water?!!? I think the Half Ironmen used it all up the day before. Greedy sons of BTiches!!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:09 | 14 miles | 16.42 mile/hr
Overall: 161/238
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Why can I only pick one wind thingy? There were strong winds ... headwinds ... crosswinds ... gusty winds ... Sorry. Two 7 mile loops around beautiful White Lake. Conditions varied from smooth to rough with seams. Some of it was still wet from the earlier rains but mostly it was dry.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:09 | 03.11 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 205/238
Performance: Good
Course: A little out and back through a couple of neighborhoods that are connected by what appeared to be a yellow sand pit.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 12:47 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: White Lake Sprint Triathlon

2007-05-08 1:12 AM
in reply to: #792475

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon
Hey.  Great race report.  I actually had to stifle a laugh or two to keep from waking the household.  Adoptive families and first ever snot rockets.  Good stuff.
2007-05-08 1:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
good race... sorry we didn't get to talk...
2007-05-08 1:29 AM

User image

Champion

OMG!  That is freakin' HILARIOUS!!!

Congrats on the snot rocket.  That's HOT! 

Great race, Robin.  You've done well.

2007-05-08 4:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Great race and absolutely hilarious race report.  Good to see you again on Saturday.  Maybe we will meet up again later in the season
2007-05-08 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Great race! Your race report's going to get me fired, everyone is wondering why my work is so funny! I think your bike time rocks, especially on a windy course!

2007-05-08 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Great race and race report, sorry I missed you there.
After that swim an ocean swim will be easy!
2007-05-08 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Great job Robin!  I'm SOOO proud of you.  You did a perfectly respectable swim is less than stellar conditions, pushed yourself to your limits to reach your bike goal and finished with 10-something pace run on someone else's legs.  Combine that with the fact that you successfully launched your first snot rocket and you just TOTALLY ROCKED! Congratulations!

My hero....
2007-05-08 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great RR!! Way to get through the swim and finish strong!! How do I never get to meet BT'ers?? Hopefully next time!!
2007-05-08 10:11 AM

Great job, and congratulations on that snot rocket! That's the mark of a true athlete in my book, one who can blow perfect snot rockets. Sorry about stealing that mirror-smooth water surface...you called it; I'm greedy.

It was great to meet you on Saturday at body marking, and you did such a good job that even on Monday at work I had people asking me about the number on the back of my leg

FAF
2007-05-08 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I love your entertaining RR.  Great race!!! I enjoyed meeting you, I wish I could have stayed around for the next day.

After getting body marked I looked down to find drool on my shoes!  Was that you????

2007-05-08 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Robin and look at that AWESOME run!!! WHOOP WHOOP.  Hills are MUCH easier than wind.  I'll take hills anyday over wind!!
2007-05-08 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
We had tons of fun on Sunday. You did an awesome job. Very proud of you. Can't wait till Latta.
2007-05-09 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

Great race!  I love the race report too that's fantastic!  Wat to go with the snot rocket too...now those are some mad skillz.

2007-05-09 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
NICE race! Congratulations! I love this line: "My unwillingness to cooperate with the aliens." ha ha Great job!
2007-05-11 2:06 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Thanks, everyone! If I ever have to swim in water like that again, it'll be WAY too soon ... but I got through it eventually ... and the rest of the race wasn't that bad.

2007-05-13 3:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed