General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake San Antonio, California
United States
Tri-California
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 25s
Overall Rank = 131/2701
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/264
Pre-race routine:

Woke up too early at 4:30 AM. had packed everything the night before. We were at an outlying campground and my bike was already at the race site being displayed at the Kuota booth so all I had to do was get my body there. So I took the shuttle over at 7AM, picked up the bike, had a small snack, then set up transition. My wave didn't start until 10:25 so I went to meet Lilia at the VIP tent for breakfast. I had a bar and some PB on a tortilla along with some Gatorade.
Event warmup:

jogged a little before breakfast and swam a little during the 5' before the race start that we were allowed in the water. Probably the least WU I've ever done.
Swim
  • 24m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never done a run in start, so that alone kinda freaked me out. I was on the inside at the front, which usually works well for me. I got pushed around a bit at the take off and dive, then I was getting edged and hit pretty hard so I just took the squeeze to the inside. Unfortunately, it was WAY too far to the inside. After rounding the first bouy, I had lost anyone from my wave and I was a bit off course to the inside. By the time I got back in line, there were SOOOOOOO many people to swim around from previous waves, I just felt like I was in survival mode and I had to look up VERY often so I didn't clobber anyone. After the last turn, I finally saw a bunch of blue caps from my wave, but I couldn't catch them. I wish I could have been with that PACK!,Oh well, I was VERY disappointed in the swim and Lil told me I was 9th getting out. My worst swim EVER!
What would you do differently?:

start on the outside instead when it is so crowded? There were 28 waves and I was in wave 24. It was a MAD house!
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This was a FAST transition. It was 2nd fastest in my AG and it was smooth. I actually passed at least 2 gals in this transition. It is a HUGE transition area, so I was smokin' with this one. Once I crossed and mounted, I did have a little trouble clipping in, but no big deal.

NOTHING!
Bike
  • 1h 22m 4s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out immediately with a 350' climb in the first mile (also was the last mile of the bike and the last mile of the RUN!) then some down with some rollers. There was ONE nice flattish section before the next hills. They were more than rollers, but not really too bad. Then a massive downhill and cruise to the turnaround - followed by that uphill - a 450' climb back to the 'rollers'. I tag teamed with another girl in my AG, and got passed by the eventual 2nd place finisher. Other than that I didn't see any others in my AG, but apparantly I passed 3 gals on the bike. At one point in this race, I was in 3rd place and had NO idea! I took in 4 gels, 2 heeds and 2 additional water bottles - by FAR the most ever on the bike. I was a little worried towards the end that it would hurt with GI issues on the run, but it was PERFECT. I used the AeroDrink and just refilled it with my 1 bottle of heed and picked up 2 more waters on the way. Seemed to work great. Ultimately I wanted to be at 1:20 and the top 3 finishers were all at or under 1:20 on the bike. I NEED to be there!

go faster? I was pretty much right where my power should have been. I didn't want to push the hills too much, but I need to increase speed somehow! Also, I should have put the girl that I kept switching with away. She got ahead towards the end and I let her go, only to chase her the entire run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

FAST again. Again the 2nd fastest in my AG. had shoes ready, grabbed a gel and went on my way!

nothing
Run
  • 45m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Almost immediately on the run, I had sight of the gal that I was cat and mousing with on the bike (Eileen is her name, I know now) so I just steadily closed the gap, pulling closer on each hill. My actual strategy was not to pass her until close to the top of the last hill, then just put her away. In the mean time, I passed 2 other girls in my AG on the run!!! WOW!!!!! I've NEVER passed anyone on the run before!!!! (OK once in a sprint, but not since) Anyway, cruising up the last hill, I got passed. I tried to stick with her and as she passed Eileen, they both picked up the pace. I was within steps of them cresting the last hill and coming to the small flat before the down. I pushed the flat, then we hit Lynch Hill - NASTY. So at this point I figured I was fighting for 7th or 8th place. But still I wanted to push. But when we started down that hill, it HURT. I thought I was running as fast as I could without killing my legs completely. The thought in my head actually said - it's a B race, don't hurt yourself before Alcatraz or Nats. But I wanted it so for the first half of the hill, I kept them in close range in case someone bonked. They ran side by side into the flat and then into the chute and I surged, but never once thought about really trying to catch them. I was still happy with my FASTEST run split EVER on a really hard course. Lil and Vik and Richard were at the finish line to greet me (thanks to the VIP passes!) and AJ came down as well. I heard them all yelling through the grandstand area - that was AWESOME - THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!! When I checked the results later and found out that I had given up the podium, I was just sick to my stomach. I know it was a 'B' race, but a podium at WILDFLOWER would have been a dream.

push a tad harder from the start on the run. I was just chasing Eileen and not thinking I could just be running faster for myself. Anyway, how can I be disappointed with such a split?!
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the VIP tent to eat lunch and relax. Later I sat in the lake to cool my legs - that felt GREAT!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the fact that it was a b race for me. Standing out in the sun too much the day before probably didn't help. I lived the lesson - "you can't win the race on the swim, but you sure can lose it there" Who knows what would have happened if I had come out at 22:30 or 23' - maybe I would have been complacent, or maybe I would have known I was pretty high in the field and pushed that tiny extra. Maybe I would not have had Eileen to push me though, so who knows :)

Event comments:

This was a crazy trip and a great race. The festival and everything were GREAT and having the VIP passes was so incredibly cool. Pretty much enjoyed food and drinks whenever I needed and was able to stay hydrated anyway. The expo was great and being there with a pro (my coach AJ) I met a LOT of cool people, like the Kuota reps and the Zipp rep, not to mention getting all kinds of free schwagg from them all. Tri-Cal is well organized and the race was well run. My only complaint was transportation to and from HArris Creek CG was a little tough on the day of the long course since all of the roads and even the walking trail (which was part of the run course) was shut down. It took us almost all day to find out that there was a water shuttle, and by the time we did, there was almost an hout wait for it... Anyway, it was GREAT!

Last updated: 2007-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/264
Overall: 163/2701
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: straight out to the first bouy, then right turn for a leg down the lake, then made a U then around and back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:22:04 | 24.85 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/264
Overall: 318/2701
AHR was 179, max was 190. Bike LT is around 183 I think, so I was just under it for the avg.
Wind: Little
Course: Difficult out and back with one longer tough climb and 2 smaller climbs each way. 2100' of total elevation gain!! That's pretty brutal!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:52 | 06.21 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/264
Overall: 234/2701
AHR 182 MAX HR 192. It was hot and I think I did an OK job but my HR was only a few bmp above the bike and my max was below LT... Hmmmm.
Course: started out just a little rolly with a general uphill trend. Then a small downhill before several rollers with NO downs just up/fat, up/ flat up. finished the loop with a FULL mile of awful quad pounding downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance
THANKS again to Richard, Lilia, VIK and AJ - you guys were awesome :)

Edited by juliapurr 2007-05-08 12:29 PM

2007-05-08 12:43 PM
in reply to: #793116

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Congratulations on a great race! You're off to a smokin start this year. Sounds like a good time with the VIP passes, etc. Did you get to meet Paul Thomas being as how your bike was on display and all? Nice job on having your fastest run ever on a tough course too! You should go thank Melanie for pulling you into the Horsetooth Half Marathon as prep!
2007-05-08 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Awesome race.  I can't wait to follow your progress through the summer.  You're going to kick some serious butt out there.

2007-05-08 2:07 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Congrats to you!  What a performance!  I don't think you hurt yourself for Alcatraz or Nationals, You ROCKED!  Nice race management, you are starting to get it!
2007-05-08 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Denver
What a great race! I was rooting for you to catch those girls in the race report! I'm interested that you took in so much during the bike, I might have to rethink my fueling. Now that you have a running swim start under your belt you'll be unstoppable.
2007-05-08 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great race!  I know the swim was a little disappointing, but you learned from it, which is part of the purpose of B races anyway, right?  I think you should start dead center, right up front.  There aren't too many swimmers faster than you, so make them pass (if they think they can).

Otherwise, great race, and great run time.  Good to see everything coming together on the big countdown for Nationals.  You'll kill it.

2007-05-08 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
WOOHOO!!  Fantastic race!  You are so ready for Alcatraz!!  I guess training on the hills all day everyday has its advantages!
2007-05-08 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
You did awesome. It was so fun to be there with you! I'm proud of the PURR!

Your transitions were so FAST... not to mention your whole race. Your going to kill at Alcatraz!
2007-05-08 4:36 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Ha ha! That's SO awesome... way to go on your SMOKIN' FAST times! And how cool is that that you PR'd your run? So now you know what it is to manage yourself a bit (something I have no concept of, hehe) and so for Alcatraz all that can go out the window, right?!      CONGRATS!
2007-05-09 10:48 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Holy smoking fast run!  Wow!  You ROCK!

I'm glad you had fun too!

2007-05-09 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Schweet!  Can I borrow just a little bit of your run speed?  Congrats on the awesome finish!

2007-05-09 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race...you are smoking fast at everything...but after a great swim/bike you still pulled off a super fast run.

Were you riding a Kuota at Cranberry last summer?  I don't recall if you passed me on the bike or run....

Are you coming out again this year.

Impressive for a B race....get fully preped and tapered for you A race and girl you are going to Rock! 

2007-05-10 1:19 AM

Really enjoyed your RR! You did a fantastic job out there and I'm sure you'll do even better at the next two events! Especially since this was a B race. Also proves the importance of having a good setup for the transition areas. Looks like you've got it down perfectly. Way to go!
2007-05-10 5:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Julia, you did great! I am still in awe of your running split! I don't know if I could have done that on a stand-alone 10K on such a hilly course! It was fun following you as the race progressed from swimming to t1 to bike to t2 to the run and then watch you finish so strong!
2007-05-10 11:54 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

Wow!  You are smokin' fast!  and "just" on a B race.  nice job on your run split.  Your AG finish is still very impressive.  Great race and report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wildflower Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed