Australia
20C / 68F
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 47m 6s
Overall Rank = 701/960
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 302/43
Pre-race routine:

I was a complete mess before this race. I really lost all confidence in actually finishing the race. Luckily my dad and a very good friend were around to rein in the princess tantrum that happened the day before the race. We all went for at ride to make sure the bikes were in working order etc. mine just didn't feel good, the gears weren't changing smoothly. and my bike computer magnet was round the wrong way. I really fell to pieces over stupid stuff.

No confidence at all in my ability to get through this race whatsoever. However after dinner I realised hang on there is nothing you can do now you've done all the training that you could. if the calf doens't hold up it doesn't hold up and there is always next year.
Event warmup:

I tried my best to force down some weetbix, I wasn't feeling nervous at all however my stomach had nother ideas. i managed probably about 1 weetbix then tried some jelly! Jelly works great don't know if there is much nutritional value in it but it made me feel like I was eating breakie.
Headed down to the race start early as my friend was volunteering for bodymarking. We were there early even for me! Set up my transition calmy chatted to anyone and everyone, I love the start of the half its just so
social.
a very good friend who lives in Ireland at he moment sent me a text. she is a very dear friend who I watched go through a battle with breast cancer. we did our first tri together and she sent me a very moving and inspiring text messagej ust before the start. it included John Maclean's "the pain won't last forever but the memories will never fade" quote.
threw on the wetsuit and wandered over to the race briefing which was very funny! then down into the water for the national anthem!
Swim
  • 31m 39s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was really nervous about this swim it brought back memories of last year and the violent washing machine. this year with more people it just felt scarier. Starting a swim with 900 odd other people at the same time is extremly daunting. I made sure I found a good spot off to the right near the jetty. not too far from the front. stood in the cold water listening to the National Anthem got a few goosebumps. Then had to wait 5 mins for the people at the front to get behind the line. It was cold and I was getting impatient. then all of a sudden the hooter sounded and off we went.
I sprinted for the first 200m's just to try and get some free water. It was very hard to get any free water and I got boxed in a few times but I've definitely toughened up on the swim I didn't panic at all just started swimming over people if I got boxed in. (I figure its ever swim over them or they swim over me)
I knew I was swimming quite comfortably, it was very difficult to see the buoys being 900m's out to sea so I just settled into a steady pace and followed people in front of me. that didn't work so well as the entire field headed either way left or way right. apparently that looked very funny for all the specatators.
when we got closer to the first turning buoy I got boxed in pretty badly again and I was swimming faster then those around me. this guy next to me kept hitting me repeatedly in the head every time he turned his arm over. after the 6th time I got very frustrated (and my head hurt) soooo (not proud of this but) I stopped a bit shoved him away from me and said some not so nice words (F%^# off could have been what I said :) oops)
heading back into the shore i checked my watch and knew I was on target for a good swim. it was cold and congested with so many people out there but I really enjoyed the swim felt comfortable and manageable the whole time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, I know I can def swim faster, I feel like I could have pushed it a bit harder but didn't want to spend too much energy on the swim. I'm really proud of finishing 154th out of 960 odd people!
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

wetsuit just slid off like a dream!
It was cold my toes were numb so had a little trouble getting my shoes and socks on. the good thing was it was raining so my feet were sand free! I struggled putting my sunnies in my trisuit pocket (ended up not even needing the sunnies

I think for a half I should have had my sunnies in my bento box ready for when I needed them
Bike
  • 2h 51m 4s
  • 90 kms
  • 31.57 km/hr
Comments:

Apart from the rain on the first lap it was absolutely perfect bike conditions. some super fast bike times out on the course!

first lap, it was pouring with rain, I was so glad I'd put my shoes and socks in plastic bags in transition but soon enough my nice dry shoes and socks were soaked through. didn't make much difference though it was just rain. I settled into a good pace and my nutrition/drinking was right on target. I was aiming for a 90+ cadence and I stuck with that for the first lap.
I knew I'd had a good swim as alot of the faster guys flew past me and I got a few comments wow good swim etc.

2nd lap, I wanted to push a bit harder then the first lap and I did that, this is where it started getting really congested and busy, there werej ust packs flying past everywhere. I was doing my best to avoid drafting it took alot of work to avoid. reminded me of Noosa. I played cat and mouse with a friend of mine and a new friend number 930! We must have passed each other 20 times on that second lap. It was fun though we had a funny comment for each other everytime we passed. it made the ride go quicker. last yer I remember really struggling at th 50 - 60k mark. this year I had no problems with the distance, I just tried hard to keep my cadence up and my speed high.

3rd lap - I got the drinking wrong, it was alot cooler then I'd been training in so I think I drank too much. I needed a toilet stop but decided nope I was giong to ride hard to transition and go to the toilet there. probably wasn't the greatest idea but I did ride faster back to transition.

Ride faster
Transition 2
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

wow got to be the slowest transition in history! I even changed my socks, but I was thinking I've had a good swim and a good bike will just do my best to make it through the run so will make sure I've got clean dry socks on for the run. I had to go to the toilet in transition to. finally headed out on the bike

try not to need a toilet stop
Run
  • 2h 16m 41s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Lets just say I started out the run with my fingers crossed thinking please just get through this. I headed out on the course and actually felt really comfortable for the first lap I think for a while there I was actually running roughly 5.30min k's! Felt great, was alternating between water and carboshotz drinks at the aid stations. Came back into town to start my second lap and felt my calf go, was very close to tears and had a few moments thinking just stop and go find the medical tent its ok to just stop if you are injured.

Then somewhere inside me came another voice that said no, remember the text from your friend this morning, I also ran past one of hte wheelchair athletes, he'd had to change from his race wheelchair to his everyday wheelchair because his back wasnt' holding up. He was really struggling but kept on going. So I did a big suck it up buttercup, and thought if they can do what they do then i can damn well finish the half and I can get that finishers towel.

So I did just that I sucked it up and kept on going, it wasn't fast and it probably wasn't pretty but I ran those last 14k's and I'm extremly pleased that I ran them faster then I did last year with a very injured calf.

Just like last year I was positive someone was moving the jetty further and further away. (the jetty is the finish line so you can see it when you run back towards the finish line each lap of the run)

At the last turn around with 3.5k's to go I knew I could do it and that lifted me some I grabbed coke from that aid station and headed on to the finish line. I even managed to pick up the pace and I ran hard the last 1k to the finish line. I was in a huge huge world of pain in my calf but I was the whole time thinking the faster I get there the sooner I get to stop running!

Try not to injure myself and interupt my run training. I would love to go into a race with an uninterupted run schedule.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran down the finish chute into the arms of lots of my friends hugs! Milled around chatting to people headed to the medical tent and got some ice for the calf.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf injury. interupted run training. lack of belief that I would actually get to the finish line was probably not helpful either

Event comments:

I know Im not fast but I'm super pleased/proud of this race, I was 15mins faster then last year, on all three legs but most importantly I was faster on the run even injured.

It was just so much more manageble this year. out on the bike I made the decision to commit to the Ironman at the end of this year.

I really love this race the atmosphere is fantastic and its so well run.

I was extremly please to cross that finish line and get my finishers towel! I worked hard for that ;)

the after party was absolutely brilliant! Not sure what felt worse the next day the hangover or the muscles :)

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:39 | 1900 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 154/960
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: One lap U shaped course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:04 | 90 kms | 31.57 km/hr
Overall: 382/960
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: FLAT 3 lap out and back course on lovely fast hotmix
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 05:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:16:41 | 21.1 kms | 06m 29s  min/km
Overall: 846/960
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 lap out and back course along the beach front
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Busselton 1/2 Ironman

2007-05-08 11:19 PM
in reply to: #793884

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Busselton 1/2 Ironman

Congratualtions Mel!!! Awesome effort with an injury and all... Ive been waiting all week to hear how you went!!!

And IMWA at the end of the year??? WOW - SUPER EFFORT!

2007-05-08 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
How awesome was your race???
You smoked last years time with an injury (in a time enviable to those without such talent!).
Proud of you for sucking it up and finishing strong.

Bring on IMWA!!!!
2007-05-09 12:06 AM

Perth

Great Race,

Must have been a tuff run with the injury...it was tuff without an injury.  Nice swim, the conditions were perfect (maybe tad cool)...

Must have been something in the air on Friday, I struggled to eat anything and felt sick all day, good onya for getting over it.

good result in the face of adversity...now on your way to an IRONMAN finnish...go you...! (long long long way off for me 2010...maybe)

Saw you on the ride by the way...you were looking pretty happy...would have said hi, but I had just copped the time penalty and wasn't in the right frame of mind (just head down bum up!).

Well done...good luck with IMWA 

2007-05-09 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Congrats!  Shaving 15 minutes from a year ago is great. 
2007-05-09 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

To beat last years time by 15 minutes is a awesome effort. You should be very proud.

Loved the report Mel, well worth the wait.

PS I checked out the results on-line the other day and did your dad score a podium finish??

2007-05-09 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Oh yep I should have mentioned that.  my 62 year old dad beat me big time.  coming in with a 5.16 finish.   He came third in his age group, finishing off a great year for him I think he will be second in his age group overall for WA triathlete of the year awards!

thanks for all your comments guys  

2007-05-09 8:49 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Congratulations on a great race!  You over came a lot and posted an awesome time.  Your Dad must have been really proud when he saw you finish.  As always, you're one tough chick and a swim goddess.

Ernie

2007-05-10 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Denver
You are one tough sheila! Once you get your calf better you will be blazing fast in all three events! Congrats!
2007-05-10 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Wow awesome race, well done!!! You should be so proud of yourself to finish this race so well even with an injury! All that hard training was worth it

I've been waiting all week for the race report its definitely worth the wait!

Bring on Ironman!!!

Edited by eurydice79 2007-05-10 10:11 PM
2007-05-11 4:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chris Tree 2007-05-11 4:34 AM

2007-06-05 3:39 PM

Veteran
Auckland
Congratulation's awesome effort with the HIM. Looking forward to heading over to race IMWA in 6 months.

Guy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Busselton 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed