Set-Up, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 40s
Overall Rank = 244/527
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 62/104
Pre-race routine:

Got to race site on Friday afternoon and was immediately greeted by Fcarter and spot (sadly Wakeman wasn't there and I hope that he was conveniently intoxicated - missed you bro!). Packet pickup then changed into one of my few remaining non-asscrack showing trishorts...well...at least Dick didn't say anything. Dick and I jumped into the lake for 20 mins of splashing around. Got in some drills and speed ups. It was 74ish water temp and was a little chilly at first, but felt awesome after warming up.

If you're a beginner triathlete or looking for a cool HIM, White Lake is your race. The water is incredible - you can see the bottom of the lake and the occasional golfball, pair of sunglasses, beer can. Very cool. After the swim, we hopped on the bikes for about 20-30 mins of cruising around the lake and checking gear before it was time to check into the hotel.

So I show up at my hotel - the Alpine Inn. I'm in my trishorts, some sandals, and my I did it for the first time BT T-shirt. There's two little old ladies sitting in the office of this place when I walk in. I get the strangest look from them and they proceed to tell me to fill out a little slip of paper to get my key. I hand them my Visa Debit card and they go..sorry cash only. Doh. I'm carrying about 20 bucks cash on me. Next stop ATM at the local gas station. I get there and see a rougher crowd there and me and my little spandex hiney decides to throw on a pair of jeans to avoid the stares. Find the ATM...no dice - out of order. Next stop - city hall. Get me some cash, and then head back to good ol Alpine Inn.

Little old ladies still there and as pleasant and Southern as you can get. Re-fill out the paperwork, hand over the nice tax free cash and they bestow me with a spiffy Alpine Inn mug and keychain (with a little light in it too). Not bad for 60 bucks. Ok...so my guard is down and I'm getting relaxed. I turn around and standing right behind me is a new character...well call him Chuck. Looked like a 30-40ish slightly retarded guy. Short and stocky. So quiet that I didn't hear him come up on me and nearly shit myself when I realized he was right behind me. Ok...quick recovery. Keep talking to the nice little old ladies.

Well Chuck then sits down and I'm trying to escape out the door to get to my room and get stuck in a conversation. I look over and he starts throwing shit at me. It started with pieces of paper and escalated to books. Weird shit. I'm a paranoid freaking mess now and looking over my shoulder to make sure that one of those spiffy mugs aren't headed in the direction of my skull. As I leave, I hear one of the old ladies saying how Chuck takes care of security and cackles while she is picking up the crap he's tossing around. Freaking great - just what I need is for him to have a key to my room.

I was most likely the first person to sleep in my room since Sept/Oct last year. Aired things out reallll good. Kept looking out the window expecting to see a set of bead ass eyes glaring down at me. Took a shower after looking for hidden cameras. The hot and cold water knobs were reversed...so imagine my panic as I'm sitting there with the shower running waiting for the water to heat up and glancing out the window constantly. I was nearly paniced after 2-3 mins go by and no hot water. I get smart and switch handles and bingo hot water.

Headed back to race site and meet spot for dinner. Meet Tzmitch here and he shows us what a kick ass spot he's got in transition area. We wait for Stake and Chippy to arrive. I got my Chippy hug! After a beer or two at their hotel, we find some food to eat.
Event warmup:

Up at 4 for a bite to eat. Reminder - pounding a king sized Snickers bar when its pitch black out and you're lying in bed is kind of difficult. You can't see the little pieces of dropped chocolate. (although when its light out, it leaves nice little chocolate smears on the linens). heh

Back to sleep for 45 mins before an early shower and pack the car.

Setup T area. Ran into lots of familiar faces. Talked way too long in Transition before getting in a few mins warmup in the water to loosen up the arms. Chris Hughes was in my rack and had a great race! (grats bro!)
Swim
  • 32m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

In all of my races I've done, this start was the most "washing machine" like that I've seen - at least for the first 200y. Went out without rushing things too much. I have great swims when I don't sprint the first 200y and instead tuck in behind someone. The water was so clear its almost a distraction because you're constantly tempted to check out what's on the bottom. The lake doesn't get any deeper than 9 feet in the middle. Its the best open water swim lake I've ever seen.

Whoever set up the buoys was way drunk. I'm pretty damn good at sighting, but there were a few buoys where you just had to ignore and sight off the one beyond it to avoid zig zagging.

Had to wait at the ladder for about 5 secs for the guy in front of me to get his ass moving. Ran down the dock and nearly bit it at the first turn - it was very slippery.

Really enjoyed this swim.
What would you do differently?:

This was my best time at this distance (and the time includes about 30 seconds of climbing a ladder and running down a dock. Nothing different at all.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Took my sweet old time in T1. Put on a Virginia Tech bike jersey (which got stuck). This race was a C race and I was just coming off of St. A's Olympic 6 days earlier, so I wasn't too worried about losing this time.

Meh - it was really slow, but by design. I expect that for IMFL, I'll be taking my time at T1 and T2 as well.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan for the bike was to stay at a 90 cadence, Z2 on the HR, and hydrate and fuel well for the run. I must say that I absolutely stuck to this plan. I had a great bike. Had to stop and pee around mile 20. I tried so freaking hard to go on the bike, but just couldn't. Finially decided to pull off and whip it out.

Aerobottle had water, 3 enduralytes, and a splash of gatorade to hide the saltiness
Bentobox had gel flask with 5 gels
Seatpost had 2 bottles of Gu2O (awesome choice by the way)
Downtube was carrying gatorade that I never used.

Gelled every 30 mins, chased with a good bit of water. The Gu2O's did a great job keeping the electrolytes going.

Stake went by me somewhere around mile 40-50. Never saw Tzmitch go by me - I think he beat me out of T1. I was wearing my Hokie pride on my back and pretty much every 5th person to pass me would say something. I was pretty cool.

You can see from my splits that I need to get some serious time in the saddle before IMFL. Even with this being a low intensity race, my bike leg is my weakest.

Goal wasn't to push the pace, but save the legs for the beating on the run and to hydrate/fuel smart. Nailed both of these and wouldn't change a thing. A little over prepared with all the liquids I was carrying, but I'd rather lug too much than too little.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Couldn't decide whether I wanted to spend the time ditching the VT bike jersey or just wear it on the run. Decided not to spend the time and to get out there.

Change the jersey! Change the jersey!!!
Run
  • 1h 59m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Caught sight of Stake about a tenth of a mile in front of me. Spent the first 3/4 of a mile try to catch up to him. Then hung together looking at the trees and cars and....yeah right. There was some scenery to check out - most of it was wrapped in lycra. Just kidding Chippy. We were totally focused on our performance and encouraging one another.

JenneUNC was out there cheering us. She was a big pickmeup at the halfway and I had to look good for her by sprinting at the finish. No sooner did I go by her than I saw NickinNC who high fived me at the end of my first out and back. Saw spot and Ryan out there - both were looking good.

After mile 5, my legs felt pretty damn good, so I told Stake I was going to see what was left in them. Dropped into the low 9's. I walked every water stop - smart move. Got lots of liquids, enduralytes, gels, orange slices.

Kept the legs at a pace where they were hurting and burning but not cramping. Caught up to Fred Carter and stayed with him for a bit. Told him how absolutely wonderful my whole body was feeling and how after this was all over I was thinking about doing a few hundred deep knee bends, lunges.

I don't know why, but I felt like the run course went by so fast. The last 30 miles of the bike seemed to take forever. It just seemed to go by so fast. I think a lot of that was having Stake to run with for the first 5. After that, you've only got 7 miles to go and hell...that's a short training run.

Hydration and fueling was pretty good for this leg. I think come IMFL, I'm going to have to really drink a ton because my sweat rate seems to be pretty high for running.

Finished strong with a good sprint. Chippy (who is awesome) greeted me with a nice buffet of liquids and some Sun Chips. You rock girl!

Jumped into the lake <--- probably the best idea all day.
Post race
Warm down:

Chippy - food - drink - lake.

Saw stake come in and spot, ryan, chris, and fred. Tommy was taking his nap by the time I come across.

Proceed to talk shit with everyone for the next couple of hours. Good times....really good times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really didn't taper. Saint Anthony's was the Sunday before this race so the legs had just a touch of fatigue in them. Still - the goal was to hydrate and fuel smart and I think I nailed it.

Event comments:

Its a personal best for me - though my only other half was the Duke Liver Half back in 05. And anyone who knows that course knows that it wouldn't be that difficult to set a PB in White Lake when the only other one you have done is DLH.

Lots of good friends out here which always makes for a great race.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/104
Overall: 62/527
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Instinct
Course: Triangle shaped course swam clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:56:29 | 56 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 80/104
Overall: 360/527
Performance: Average
The bike splits are in 5 mile laps. 5 - 15:22, 19.5 mph, 159 HR 10 - 15:26, 19.4 mph, 152 HR 15 - 14:43, 20.4 mph, 150 HR 20 - 15:04, 19.9 mph, 148 HR 25 - 14:55, 20.1 mph, 147 HR 30 - 15:11, 19.8 mph, 149 HR 35 - 16:43, 17.9 mph, 149 HR (got off bike here to pee) 40 - 16:10, 18.5 mph, 154 HR (lollipop section here) 45 - 15:57, 18.8 mph, 152 HR 50 - 16:56, 17.7 mph, 152 HR 55 - 16:36, 18.1 mph, 150 HR According to garmin, spent: 16 seconds in Zone 1 2:07:20 in Zone 2 53:23 in Zone 3 2 mins in Zone 4
Wind: Little
Course: 1 loop course. Great road conditions for first 30 miles, round for last 20
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:46 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/104
Overall: 244/527
Performance: Average
1 - 8:30, 161 HR 2 - 8:52, 161 HR 3 - 9:58, 155 HR ???wth??? 4 - 9:20, 158 HR 5 - 9:37, 158 HR 6 - 8:24, 167 HR 7 - 9:16, 166 HR 8 - 8:52, 166 HR 9 - 9:08, 166 HR 10 - 9:12, 167 HR 11 - 9:19, 166 HR 12 - 9:33, 165 HR 13 - 8:46, 167 HR .1 - 7:12 pace, 174 HR
Course: 2 loops of an out and back. Cool for seeing buddies on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-10 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: White Lake Half

2007-05-10 1:31 PM
in reply to: #796053

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: White Lake Half

Great race.  I actually tried to stay at the Alpine Inn.  I called and called and called to book a room.  I thought What kind of place never answers its phone?  I think you answered that one for me!

2007-05-10 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Holy FAST and you weren't even trying!!!!

I'm MOST jealous that you got to hang out with Chippy and Stake!!!

2007-05-10 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great JOb Jeff and SOOPER fast as always!!!
2007-05-10 7:22 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Nice job Jeff.  An awesome race report.  Mental note to never stay at the Alpine Inn. 
2007-05-10 8:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
My hero! You told me you were going to swim back across the lake before doing those few hundred knee-bends. Believe me pal, that short talk we had was the best thing about the second lap! I had a much better outlook starting it. Great race Jeff. I swear you never cease to amaze me with the times you pull off and just having raced a few days before as well! I know what you are capable of at IMFL will surprise even you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed