Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-10 2:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Computer question

This is for anyone who might know something about computers.  My home computer, which used to work fine, at least I think it did, won't open a new browser window.  For example, if I click on a link and it opens a new browser I will get a pop-up error message saying something to the effect of 'Microsoft has experienced an error and will be closing down.......click to send error report or do not send error report"  It drives me nuts. 

An example of this would be in the training logs where if I click on the "Inspire" me button and a new window pops open I will not be able to read what someone has written nor be able to write/type my own message.  I never had this problem at work.  I use XP home if that makes any difference.  Thanks for any replies.

2004-09-10 4:44 PM
in reply to: #60071

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Computer question

a few people have had the same issues with the blog having antivirus software installed blocking any new window opening up (pop-ups)...maybe something has changed with its settings of antivirus or u updated your antivirus?

if not that, have u updated windows recently?  every once in a awhile my browsers font gets messed up (its way to big) after a windows update...go to 'system restore' and pick a restore point where u know your computer worked perfect.  of course any installed software since will get uninstalled BUT all files created since will remain the same.  system restore fixes many OS and browser issues that i can't figure out.

fwiw

2004-09-10 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Try to re-install Internet Explorer.  You can go to www.microsoft.com and check for a newer version of IE.  Have you recently installed any pop-up blockers?  One of these may have come with any new anti-virus, or spam-killing program that you may have installed recently, as Ron suggested. 

PM me if you need more help with it.

2004-09-12 5:54 PM

User image

utah

I would say could be popup blocker or script blocker but from the sounds of it... Definately check those things are not and issue though unless they are external to IE like Popup Stopper or Add/Subtract Pro or an Anti-virus like Norton's that has script/link blocking, i don't see that this would be the issue.   it could be damaged ie and for XP that is a headache.  You might first try reinstalling the script engine, which would correct links not working right by going to www.microsoft.com and searching for script engine 5.6... The file name is scripten.exe 

This will only reinstall the scripting part.  If you need help reinstalling i.e. for XP search the database for a fact sheet... I believe if you search for reinstall Internet Explorer windows XP that you will find it.  This will require you to change stuff in the registry.  It is not hard, though I do hold my breath when I have to do that just because the XP like all windows registries can be (tries to be diplomatic) temperamental.  I can send you a link to it from work later if you need it.  In addition, try programs like spybot and adaware to make sure you do not have any browser hijackers or try cwshredder though I don't find it to be as thorough as spybot and they are all free just search the web for them or if you happen to use AOL... use the keyword: shareware.  Oh, and I can't help it if you haven't please go get all the updates for XP at www.windowsupdate.com though if the only listed is XP service pack two before you install it be sure to read up on what won't work with it like Norton's and some other big name programs.  They are of course working to fix it but at this time they will cause issues for some users.  This is just peronsal experience not license needed

good luck.

Edited by tri_puppy 2004-09-12 5:59 PM

2004-09-13 9:46 AM

Pro
Andover
Rio - 2004-09-10 2:37 PM

... if I click on a link and it opens a new browser I will get a pop-up error message saying something to the effect of 'Microsoft has experienced an error and will be closing down.......click to send error report or do not send error report" ....

A popup blocker should just stop the launching of the new browser window, not produce a popup dialog box with that error message. I agree that you should reinstall IE.

Good luck,
Rob

Edited by MountainBreeze 2004-09-13 9:48 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Computer question Rss Feed